Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best area in Midwest to raise family & Bow hunt whitetails?

Oh-io

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by hooiserarcher View Post
    I work in Illinois and this describes Illinois very well. If Chicago would slide off in the lake Illinois would be a good state.
    Touché my friend. Or make it it's own state. I despise Chicrapo. Totally ruins our whole state

First off what is your line of work or type of work your looking for? I use to hunt Illinois often, and before I was married with kids I thought maybe I would move out that way, then I called various Law Enforcement Agencies in the area asked about pay, benefits, pension, etc.? Damn they don't make nothing compared to what I was making as a young officer, benefits either sucked or didn't have any, pension none....Granted cheaper to live out there compared to my home state of NJ, but I had to look out for my future for when I'm old and drooling I love hunting as much as anyone but it cost money to hunt. In 7 yrs when I retire my wife and I will move out of NJ, and head down to North or South Carolina, kids will be out of the house by then

IA ,or WI no doubt about it IN is way way over rated so is OHand IL, .Too many hunters bad regs and not enough deer in those 3 states .
    I deer hunt what do you do ?

Quote Originally Posted by nvrgvup444 View Post
    Come to Missouri and become a puppy mill owner and meth cooker. It's kinda our thing. Just kidding. Great public land in MO. Just live in southern Iowa and buy MO tags on the cheap.
    This in a nut shell best of two states .

I wish I could get my ol lady to move to the midwest. She's to attached to her family tho. I'm envious of you buddy.

Western Ky

I live in Ankeny IA, just north of Des Moines. Everything is nice here except the price of land. It's pretty much out of reach for most people when looking at 40+ acres. Unless you have $250k you are ready to invest. Leases are expensive but the only choice other than public land or finding someone to let you hunt their land. Then the risk of losing it to a lease. I've been looking for land (long term plan) and eyeing suburb of Kanas City. Land is way cheap, good hunting, nice safe area. So there are two recommendations. Central Iowa is growing fast and great for everything except owning land, Kansas May not be growing as fast but land is cheaper. Both hunt great. Good luck.
    G5 Quest Primal 60# @28.5DL
    GT Hunters, 450grs

Quote Originally Posted by Capttrae View Post
    Western Ky
    Not the Midwest !!!! Southeast .And only a one buck rule and bad seasons .

I would be a resident in NE Iowa and hunt that state and SW WI every year.

11. Quote Originally Posted by hoyttech13 View Post
    I have gone over this time and time again..........the best spot in my mind for deer, turkey, and waterfowl hunting oppurtunites would have to be some where on the outskirts of st Louis MO. MO alone has some awesome hunting/fishing. and you are within 6 hrs drive from most top whitetail destinations. 6 hr drive to Kansas, 4 hr drive to western ky, 6 hr drive to ohio. 4- 6 hr anywhere north to find mega bucks. and you are in the heart of the Mississippi flyway for ducks and the geese never fly south of st Louis anymore.....not to mention the trout rivers in south MO........that's my pick
    He's right on the money, ^^^
    MO has it all, only thing he left out is the upland bird hunting as well. Tons of well managed public land throughout the state.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    Western Wisconsin would be my pick. I live in the SE section of the state, but if I were to move, it would be near La Crosse. Beautiful area with an excellent state university.
    I Agree. Beautiful Bluff country, great hunting, lots of small country towns.

If you want lots of snow and big bucks. North Central WI is your spot.

I am currently working in Billings Montana and I have to say it is depressing here. I am shocked at the volume if what seems to be homeless people. I do like Red Lodge though...
    I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Mo ia

I live in se mn love it I also work in western wis and se minn. Lots of oppertunity in this area. Plus the hunting is great.

say ya to da up eh
    2011 pse vendetta xs 70lb 28 dl
    2013 Elite hunter 66lb 28dl
    xx75 camo hunter 2219
    magnus stinger 125gr 581 grains
    cuz I don't want to be the only thing heavy in the stand

Along with the snow comes the cold. Last winter was miserable, many below zero days! We got hammered with an early blizzard in October. Just be sure you can handle 6 months of winter.Oct 2013 Boulder Rock Bench.jpg

I just read an article that said Minneapolis, MN was rated the safest city in America. Lowest crime rate and some other factors.
    "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected." --Chief Seattle

I'm in NE and with NE your allowed two buck tags. Decent public hunting is far and few between for deer though but it can be had. IA if I recall I thought only allowed you one buck tag. Iowa has some nice public ground. I've hunted IA for waterfowl and pheasants before and wish their out of state deer tags weren't so expensive not to mention done by 'unit' for out of staters too.

SD Unsure of their deer hunting however they have a lottery for out of state waterfowl hunting and if your in state you can get one fairly easy and their pheasant hunting can be pretty nice too. (fun to get kids out and walk a field)

I would probably choose a location more towards your work and possibilities there and then the hunting aspect second. I'm not familiar with MO or KS but do know MO has some great areas and doesn't always get the snow like us here in NE. (they get ICE)

ND if I recall you can hunt land if it is not posted but you'll need to research that one. Good luck with your move if you decide to go to NE feel free to PM me I've been here my whole life.

Southern and Central MN are nice. Plenty of deer in both and there are some real bruisers around if know where to look. And plenty of snow would not be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpper View Post
    I'm in NE and with NE your allowed two buck tags. Decent public hunting is far and few between for deer though but it can be had. IA if I recall I thought only allowed you one buck tag. Iowa has some nice public ground. I've hunted IA for waterfowl and pheasants before and wish their out of state deer tags weren't so expensive not to mention done by 'unit' for out of staters too.

SD Unsure of their deer hunting however they have a lottery for out of state waterfowl hunting and if your in state you can get one fairly easy and their pheasant hunting can be pretty nice too. (fun to get kids out and walk a field)

I would probably choose a location more towards your work and possibilities there and then the hunting aspect second. I'm not familiar with MO or KS but do know MO has some great areas and doesn't always get the snow like us here in NE. (they get ICE)

ND if I recall you can hunt land if it is not posted but you'll need to research that one. Good luck with your move if you decide to go to NE feel free to PM me I've been here my whole life.
    Residents get two buck tags, 3 if you own land.

The Des Moines area in general is a great place to live work and raise kids. Hunting isn't bad within a hour drive. Waterfowl hunting is sub par at best.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpper View Post

Yes, in ND if it isn't posted. It is open to hunting without asking.
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

western WI or Southwest MN. Eastern Missouri is a great area too. stay away from illinois at all costs. Unless of course Chicago becomes its own state then it will be clear.
    Hunting~~2011 G5 Prime Shift, Extreme Archery Site, Fuse Carbon Blade, Easton Injection 400gr. 277fps 74KE, Nap Spitfire Maxx D6, QAD Drop Away Pro HDX, 65 pounds, 29" DL
    TEAM 15--- Band of Booners

I would say Missouri, Kansas or Indiana. You'll get great whitetails, some snow and they are all three great places to live. Coming from Alabama, you'll probably be in complete shock moving to a place like Mn, Wi, or Northern Iowa. Mo, In and Ks don't get frigid cold for extended periods and your wife will get her snow fix.

I'm bias but, I'd go with Missouri as it has it all as some of the previous posters have pointed out. Iowa and Illinois are extremely close depending on where you live in Mo if you just have to hunt them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast