Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best area in Midwest to raise family & Bow hunt whitetails?

Best area in Midwest to raise family & Bow hunt whitetails?

Missouri,Kansas, Tennessee. Those saying Indiana are off their rockers. That state is horrible to live in. Jobs aren't there,specially cabinet making or any specialty craft. Just became the number 1 murder state. Thanks to Gary and downtown Indianapolis. Both my wife and I born and raised in Indiana.

And those saying Indiana isn't cold long. Never lived there. It's mid 20s maybe 35 from November to as late as April. Hell,we lived there when it was 32 and snowing during the Indy 500 race.

We moved to Tennessee last year. Couldn't be happier. Weather is nice in summer,and winter in cold. No snow though. Economy where We are at is rock solid. Nissan,nestle,gm just to name a few. O,and one of the best school systems in the nation. Public not private. Turkey's are a plenty and good bucks to be had,but you've got to put in leg work. Eastern Tennessee is allowing elk hunting now.

Number 1 thing about Tennessee! You can shoot a bow anywhere. No laws against them. Shoot in your yard all you want. Very friendly hunting state too. And no income tax and taxes are very reserved in general here.Just my 2 cents though.
    Last edited by dlamb11; July 13th, 2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowcabinets View Post
    Any towns/cities that would be good to live close to? Noticed that no one mentioned Illinois, was wondering why not?
    Taxes, Chicago Politics, Taxes, crooked politics...need any more?
    SBXT 29/65---Whisker Biscuit---Black Gold Solaris
    XT Hunter 340---125gr Stinger
    Ol Man Climber---Spiderweb Recon---LaCrosse AlphaLite 3.5
    Whitetail - Indiana and Illinois

I'm from KY originally, I lived in Iowa for 5.5 years and moved to eastern SD in the winter of 2012....Iowa without a doubt for me, I miss it every day and "I'll ruffle some feathers here because I always do on here when I say this" I HATE South Dakota...Atleast eastern SD, western SD in the Black Hills is gorgeous country with plenty of good hunting, but in eastern SD "I'm just north of Sioux Falls" it's freaking terrible...Deer hunting is terrible around here, public land has more hunting pressure than anywhere I've ever seen and there isn't much of it at all...Getting access to private land around here is pretty much impossible because there's not a lot of good deer habitat in this area and people fight over what's here. Also, imho, people in Iowa are just nicer as well...People in my area of SD are pretty much straight up freakin A-Holes in my experience, crappy attitudes, look at outsiders from anywhere other than here as if they are out to rob them and overall just piss poor attitudes. Like I said, western SD is pretty country and I really like it out there, but I could leave eastern SD tomorrow and I could care less if I ever see this place again.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

Quote Originally Posted by dlamb11 View Post
    Missouri,Kansas, Tennessee. Those saying Indiana are off their rockers. That state is horrible to live in. Jobs aren't there,specially cabinet making or any specialty craft. Just became the number 1 murder state. Thanks to Gary and downtown Indianapolis. Both my wife and I born and raised in Indiana.

And those saying Indiana isn't cold long. Never lived there. It's mid 20s maybe 35 from November to as late as April. Hell,we lived there when it was 32 and snowing during the Indy 500 race.

We moved to Tennessee last year. Couldn't be happier. Weather is nice in summer,and winter in cold. No snow though. Economy where We are at is rock solid. Nissan,nestle,gm just to name a few. O,and one of the best school systems in the nation. Public not private. Turkey's are a plenty and good bucks to be had,but you've got to put in leg work. Eastern Tennessee is allowing elk hunting now.

Number 1 thing about Tennessee! You can shoot a bow anywhere. No laws against them. Shoot in your yard all you want. Very friendly hunting state too. And no income tax and taxes are very reserved in general here.Just my 2 cents though.
    Dude where did you get your information? I lived in downtown Indianapolis for tens years and would could walk the streets at Midnight with no issues. I live in Cincinnati now and I would move back to Indy in a heart beat. Indiana isn't even in the top 25 states for violence and in fact Tennessee had more violent crimes than any other state in last year.
    "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected." --Chief Seattle

Ok, wife and I have been thinking about relocating to the Midwest. Looking for a area with good economy, Great whitetail hunting (of course), and plenty of snow. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
    I will also add this....If you guys are from AL and have lived there your whole lives, well Midwest snow probably won't be as much fun as you think it is...That first good snow of the year is always pretty, after that the suck factor gets really high when you have to deal with that crap & freezing temps the rest of the winter, and winters are a lot longer up in the Iowa/SD area than they are down south...Like I said before, I grew up in KY and I lived in Columbus, OH for a couple years...I thought I had seen cold weather but quickly found out I didn't know jack crap about long cold winters until I moved to Iowa...And South Dakota is even worse.
    Butthole deep snow for 6 months and temps than can be anywhere from -10 to -50 for months on end aren't as fun as they sound.
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

. Define cold? That's sounds pleasurable.
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by DaneHunter View Post
    Dude where did you get your information? I lived in downtown Indianapolis for tens years and would could walk the streets at Midnight with no issues. I live in Cincinnati now and I would move back to Indy in a heart beat. Indiana isn't even in the top 25 states for violence and in fact Tennessee had more violent crimes than any other state in last year.
    Here are 2 articles stating as much.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Ed7oYRZ_dLAJRA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VdAJHupuTZsACA

Second one is up to date as current. Indianapolis is no picnic as you remembered. It was bad last year before we moved. Cops killed every week it seems,and the city officials don't care.

Here are 2 articles stating as much.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Ed7oYRZ_dLAJRA

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VdAJHupuTZsACA

Second one is up to date as current. Indianapolis is no picnic as you remembered. It was bad last year before we moved. Cops killed every week it seems,and the city officials don't care.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...#slide=2981152

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...tates/2925679/
    "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected." --Chief Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Wade B View Post
    . Define cold? That's sounds pleasurable.
    Mid 20s and 30s for more than half the year is cold to me. No way is 20s and 30 degree temps pleasurable. Then add past 2 years Indiana has had 12 plus feet of snow. Makes it miserable to live. Snow and cold are horrible. At night if it gets cool ok,but all day for days on end? No thanks.

Mid 20s and 30s for more than half the year is cold to me. No way is 20s and 30 degree temps pleasurable. Then add past 2 years Indiana has had 12 plus feet of snow. Makes it miserable to live. Snow and cold are horrible. At night if it gets cool ok,but all day for days on end? No thanks.
    It's all relative beer my earlier posts. At 30 degrees up here (after a long cold winter), we drive around in t-shirts with the windows down or ice fish in jeans without shirts on.

We often bust out the boats for the +25 degree days
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

Notice it says concentrated in Nashville and Memphis. I'm in brentwood/franklin area. None of that happens where I am at. Problem with Indiana is that indianapolis is only nice place in the whole state. As far as shopping,food,and sports. Tennessee there are lots more areas of non crime to go too. Brentwood,Franklin,Columbia just to name a few. The crime in Memphis and Nashville isn't spreading to rest of state like it has in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade B View Post
    It's all relative beer my earlier posts. At 30 degrees up here (after a long cold winter), we drive around in t-shirts with the windows down or ice fish in jeans without shirts on.

We often bust out the boats for the +25 degree days
    Very true, I'll talk to buddies & family back home in KY during the winter and they all complain about how brutally cold it is when it's 30 outside...I'm like yeah well it was -40 here last night and we have 2' of snow on the ground..lol... 30 degrees is t-shirt weather when your lucky enough to get it up here in the winter.
    ASAT Camo Hunting Staff

Any towns/cities that would be good to live close to? Noticed that no one mentioned Illinois, was wondering why not?
    I know guys in Illinois whose property tax bill is more than their mortgage if that tells ya anything. Of course it depends on which area as some cities have low property tax while others are outrageous. Of course Missouri has some pricey counties as well but, not Illinois bad.

Overall, home prices are generally cheaper in Il (excluding N. Il) than surrounding states but, they have to be when you're paying $6000 a year on a $215,000 house.

Quote Originally Posted by JC-XT View Post
    Illinois: poor economy, high taxes, high cost of living, very little public hunting ground, very expensive land prices, very expensive hunting lease prices, very limited land access opportunities, entire state is controlled by the corrupt Chicago democrats, restrictive gun control, bad roads...now I've depressed myself.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Notice it says concentrated in Nashville and Memphis. I'm in brentwood/franklin area. None of that happens where I am at. Problem with Indiana is that indianapolis is only nice place in the whole state. As far as shopping,food,and sports. Tennessee there are lots more areas of non crime to go too. Brentwood,Franklin,Columbia just to name a few. The crime in Memphis and Nashville isn't spreading to rest of state like it has in Indiana.
    once again guys TN is not Midwest ...read where he said he wanted to live ,.Also deer and big ones and lots of them are what he wants .
    I deer hunt what do you do ?

You must be a warm body cause I don't think its cold enough here and we just came out of one of the coldest winters in states history.

Also Tennesse has consistently been the highest violent crime state in the US and had the 11th highest poverty rate in the US.

I am guessing someone that is looking to move to the Midwest for hunting opportunity is going to be living a decent ways outside any major cities where most crimes occur.
    Last edited by TDMBear; July 13th, 2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: NA

What other hobbies do you have? If you are a big time fisherman I wouldn't recommend central Iowa. As close as you can get to the Mississippi the better if you ask me.
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

14 APA Mamba M34
    06 APA Suphan

Good TN sales pitch. He's not kidding about Williamson County area, one of highest per capita income levels and best ranked public school systems in nation. They do have their fair share of private schools too. Many of the country music stars and NFL Titan players live between there and South Nashville thru Brentwood/Franklin.

If you are a deer hunter, TN really can't compare to many of the mid-western states though. The soil is not nutritious enough and bag limit is too liberal
    Turkey hunting is a different story though: worth the drive

Quote Originally Posted by SURVIVORMAN66 View Post
    Good TN sales pitch. He's not kidding about Williamson County area, one of highest per capita income levels and best ranked public school systems in nation. They do have their fair share of private schools too. Many of the country music stars and NFL Titan players live between there and South Nashville thru Brentwood/Franklin.

If you are a deer hunter, TN really can't compare to many of the mid-western states though. The soil is not nutritious enough and bag limit is too liberal
    Turkey hunting is a different story though: worth the drive
    Thanks! I don't think bag limit is too liberal. 3 bucks a year and 3 doe a day. It may be better other places though.
    Last edited by dlamb11; July 13th, 2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: edit

Take a look at Manhattan Ks, Whitetails, turkeys, college town and the area is growing, Fort Riley home of The Big Red One, Residents can apply to hunt the Elk there, western ks for muley and antelope, Milford and Tuttle Creek lakes are both close, the sunsets in the Flinthills are breathtaking and we do get our snow, along with the heat.
    >>>>>-------Team 25------------->......BLOODTRAIL BROTHERHOOD......
    1911 is faster than 911,....
    There are no real rules about posting.
    There are no real rules about moderation either — enjoy your ban.

Quote Originally Posted by APAsuphan View Post
    What other hobbies do you have? If you are a big time fisherman I wouldn't recommend central Iowa. As close as you can get to the Mississippi the better if you ask me.
    If he likes fishing at all, I would say live in the bluff country ON the river. That system is awesome.

Thanks! I don't think bag limit is too liberal. 3 bucks a year and 3 doe a day. It may be better other places though.
    When I say liberal, I guess I am referring more to the length of gun season than to the actual bag limit. 3 bucks is almost too many, couple that with over 2 months of gun season and the bucks really don't have a chance to mature

Quote Originally Posted by APAsuphan View Post
    Yep this ^^^. I live in Ankeny and there are ponds that are stocked but other than that, you have to drive to the Mississippi or just fly to another state (might be easier). I'm from Texas so I don't really waste time fishing here in central Iowa.
    G5 Quest Primal 60# @28.5DL
    GT Hunters, 450grs

Ive lived in Iowa, Washington, and Wisconsin. Depending on how big of a city you want my favorite in Iowa is Decorah for a small town and Iowa City for a bigger area.

In Wisconsin Hudson is good, same with Stillwater across the river but I like Appleton the best. Close to great fishing on Winnebago system as well as on Green Bay and you are an hour from salmon fishing as well. Hunting is decent in the area and with a little drive you can be in some awesome hunting areas. Not too far from Horricon Marsh for ducks and tons of geese.

Quote Originally Posted by SURVIVORMAN66 View Post
    When I say liberal, I guess I am referring more to the length of gun season than to the actual bag limit. 3 bucks is almost too many, couple that with over 2 months of gun season and the bucks really don't have a chance to mature
    Deer hunting in Tennessee is a joke. But the violence thing I'm not buying no matter how many links to columns are shown. I live in east Tn and its weird if complete strangers don't say hey or hold a door for you. We never deal with crap like shootings or robberies much.

But I agree I wouldn't move here chasing big deer. Go to Iowa or Missouri.
    Hoyt Carbon Element G3 Blacked out • JBK Strings • QAD HDX • Black Gold Ascent • SS1 • 29" DL • 71lbs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast