Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt?

Salt?

How does salt work as an attractant? I know it works but how good, I am not worried about antler growth just attracting deer and salt is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyhart View Post
    How does salt work as an attractant? I know it works but how good,
    Well, when I see it on the rim of a glass, I know she's been drinking margaritas. Which tells me I've got a shot. So, it draws me in.
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Wade B View Post
    Well, when I see it on the rim of a glass, I know she's been drinking margaritas. Which tells me I've got a shot. So, it draws me in.
    Baahhaahhaaahhaa

Very scientific answer
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo #3 RKT 29"
    Gold Tip Velocity Pro 300
    Black Gold Ascent Single Pin
    Scott Longhorn III and Carter Like Mike releases
    Grim Reaper Broadheads

Salt is one of the best attractants you can use from April-August around here. The first couple weeks of September the deer quit hitting completely.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Trace mineral salt lick works great in Oregon. To help them find it pour some molasses on and around it

Quote Originally Posted by Hun10-freak View Post
    Trace mineral salt lick works great in Oregon. To help them find it pour some molasses on and around it
    Here it will get about everything, raccoon , porky's, bear, squirrel, deer if the bear don't run them off.

Salt works well. I just checked a cam that had 4000 pics in 2 months over salt. One key to salt is where you put it. I've put salt out and the deer hardly touch it and move it 50 yards and they kill it. The best is to put it on tree stump or hard clay ground from my experience. Try to avoid loamy soil where it leaches into the ground quickly. I love it for running cams over in the summer as it's much much cheaper than buying corn.

Quote Originally Posted by wade b View Post
    well, when i see it on the rim of a glass, i know she's been drinking margaritas. Which tells me i've got a shot. So, it draws me in.
    nice!!!!
    You can do more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyhart View Post
    How does salt work as an attractant? I know it works but how good, I am not worried about antler growth just attracting deer and salt is cheap.
    So is a bag of big 6 mineral at tractor supply.
    2011 Destroyer 350 28.5" 65#, 10" "SIAZ" stab, Axcel Armortech Hd 5 pin .010, Ripcord, Gold Tip Velocity 7595's 396 gr, 100gr Killzones, RamCats, Tru Ball Short N Sweet, Carter Just B Cuz
    Twisted Archer Custom Bowstrings
    Team 18 - DeadLock

I mix up:
    1 part Dicalcium Phosphate
    1 part stock salt
    2 parts trace minerals
    1 part dried molasses

I find a place where the ground is bear and pour it right on the ground.
    Cover it with whole corn and BB2.

Once they find it they just keep coming back. Especially if it rains on it and soaks it into the ground.
    I just put out a new batch 3 weeks ago and they have already dug a hole that's 6" deep.

$5 bag of Kansas rock salt #50 lasts a long time. will dissolve if you get alot of rain or after they dig a hole trying to get it all out of the dirt. Works well from mid winter back around until September.
    They ingest a lot more than mineral or it dissolves but either way I'd guess in 9 months they'll go through 70#

Ps molasses is a waste of money its overly priced anywhere you try to buy it and it won't increase your odds any better than getting it in the right spot.
    Look for a good heavy trail preferably nearish water but key is heavy trail eventually your bruiser will come by at least once in the summer months

I don't remember the molasses being that high but the di-cal is.

My intention wasn't offend anyone sorry if I did to each their own. Just the overly frugal cattleman's opinion. Animals will seek out the nutrients they need or want whether they are sweetened or not.

Would be interesting to see a camera trap test of this

None taken. Just saying I really remember the di-cal being high. I just added the molasses to give it an smell. Test would be interesting. Maybe I'll try it in a few weeks.

#50 trace mineral block here costs about $12 and lasts for a year on a stump. Deer and everything else hit it year round.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

I have had same experience as MN 5503.
    Its good for getting pics in the summer, but the deer abandon it in September.

Quote Originally Posted by White Wizzard View Post
    I mix up:
    1 part Dicalcium Phosphate
    1 part stock salt
    2 parts trace minerals
    1 part dried molasses

I find a place where the ground is bear and pour it right on the ground.
    Cover it with whole corn and BB2.

Once they find it they just keep coming back. Especially if it rains on it and soaks it into the ground.
    I just put out a new batch 3 weeks ago and they have already dug a hole that's 6" deep.
    Gonna try this I think. Thanks White Wizzard
    Darton Pro 3800, HHA 5019, Muzzy zero-effect
    Darton DS 4500, Axcel 4500, HHA scope, Limbdriver pro
    Bow Time Machine
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

During the part of the year when the deers diet is so high in lush greens their potassium levels sky rocket, so to naturally counteract these levels their bodies crave sodium. Once the peak green season has passed they dont need near as much. Hence people stating that they're mineral sights arent getting touched.
    "How you like them Apples"

I forgot to add, theres no sense in adding a mono cal or dical phosphate to your mix, save your money! Only time these needto be added is when your supplemental feeding when the fawns are dropping. There are no benefits of antler growth . Greatest benefit for phosphates are with lactating does. I wouldsave my money. There is no arguing that the healthier the mamas milk the betterthe fawns health is either.
    "How you like them Apples"

Works for me.
    "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected." --Chief Seattle

it's great for trail cam season. Like most will tell you it won't do much during the season
    Kwik-Strap ProStaff....... kinda
    Quote Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
    Pinski you are the Archery innovator of the decade.
    Vortex Optics
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1061263717 The Great Mongrel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pinski79 View Post
    it's great for trail cam season. Like most will tell you it won't do much during the season
    I'll agree with this. I use them to my favor though. My deer always come from my left, so where I have my block, if they do go for a taste, I have a perfect broad side shot.
    "What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected." --Chief Seattle

We just pour a 50 lb bag on a trail intersection. Yes some spots work better than others, but in general deer pound our salts licks from April-Oct. They do use them year round but mostly when its hotter. We add salts in our spots every year. We have some that are 1.5-2 ft deep and the width of a truck hood. We use trail cams over them and add a little corn for the pics

I look at the Di calcium phosphate as a good benefit to the mothers milk, which means stronger more fit fawns, which might help them through the winter.
    2014 Mathews ChillR 28 in 72#
    CBE TEK Hybrid 3 pin
    QAD Ultra Rest HDX
    Easton Bloodline Arrows with 100 gr. VPA's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast