Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnus Broadheads Shooters

Question for you, do you shoot the regular or serrated (buzzcut) broadheads and why did you pick one over the other?

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.

I shoot regulars but both are deadly and will kill but I figured I didn't need a serrated edge I want a clean pass through not a saw blade.. just my .02, others will disagree.

I picked regular only because I thought I could sharpen them easier. I have no other reason, I am sure that the buzz cuts are easy to sharpen I just didn't have confidence in my ability. Love the way they fly and how durable they are.

ive used the 2 blade and the buzz cuts both worked well just think got better blood trails from the buzz cuts
    Nothing like splattered blood all over leaves

All I know is if you get cut with a razer it is harder to stop bleeding than if you were cut with a jagged saw blade.

The company employees and reps say the buzzcuts give better blood trails and work better
    '13 DNA with Breathn threads
    Limbdriver Pro V
    MBG Vengeance 5 Pin
    10" B Stinger Sport Hunter Extreme
    Backup/3d - '10 Bow Madness XL

Buzz cuts 4 blade for me. No real reason for choosing one over the other. I have only used them on whitetail sized game but they have been great for me.

Interested as well. Seems when you see talk of this the Stingers have a reputation for hit and miss bloodtrails while the Buzzcut gets the nod for heavier trails. I always thought identical shot placement with either would result in identical trails and results. Maybe some of this comes from 2 blade heads mainly, don't know. I am wanting to try some 4 blade 125's this year whether it be Buzzcuts or Stingers but notice the Buzz gets more talk of heavier trails.

The Buzzcuts were not out when I started using the Stingers before that I used the Nugent Blade which was also made by Magnus. When they were discontinued I switched over. I have yet to see any reason to spend extra on the Buzzcuts when I have yet to need a "blood trail" when the deer I have taken have all gone down within 60 yards or less of my stand, I saw them go down... So again I only use the Stinger 125 2 Blade and they do the job but I wait for the best shot broad side or quartering away slightly but that is just me want a quick clean kill shot. And so far they have done what I need...

LFM

I use the serrated because in my kills with either I noticed a bit more blood with them. It could have just been the shots though. Either one will do the job for you. I use the 4 blade. I have both in my house and know that switching from one to another causes no issues with tuning or sighting, so you could pick up a pack of each and judge. Awesome BH's no matter which you decide on.

I think the saw blade analogy is off in this case. Both heads are razor sharp and slice well without a "sawing" action. If the Buzz's really do give better trails- which I believe they do- it is simply the serrations making it harder for the wound to close up. I would think (and this is just my thoughts) that a lower KE bow would be better suited to Stingers while the Buzzcuts would take an ever so slight extra amount to push through. Both have pass through for my daughter though with a 35# bow and light arrows. Coupled with the 85gr 4 blade she drops them in sight three times now.
    Anyone else sick of working to support those who don't?
    Anyone else sick of obeying laws made because idiots don't care about facts?
    Anyone else sick of people telling you to be polite about everything?
    I'm wondering how we got to this point.

So for those of you that have shot both, do the game animals give more or less reaction when shot with Buzzcut or Stinger? Do they react more or less when shot with 2 or 4 blades? Less game reaction to impact would mean less running and shorter "in sight" deaths I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckA84 View Post
    The company employees and reps say the buzzcuts give better blood trails and work better
    Interesting. Like the post earlier I assumed a straight sharp blade would cause more bleeding. Also the vast majority of broadheads are straight blades not serrated. I'm surprised more companies are not offering serrated blade models if they have been shown to cause more bleeding (better blood trails).
    Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.

what about the snuffers. how do they do
    diamond outlaw ,spitfires ,truball pro diamond release,carbon expresss maximas 250

Longtime user here and I sharpen the buzzcut blades just like the regular stinger blades, just pretend like the cut outs arent there, they are a essentially notches taken out of the blade. There are a lot of different "serrations" to be had and the one Magnus uses is specific to cutting. I took a close up of a buzzcut blade and hopefully can you can see the why of it as I had been told to me.

Notice how as we travel along the blade the serrations are kind of stair stepped as the blade gets wider. At the very tip of each step in the stair is a leading edge of one of the serrations(arrows drawn in pix), it acts as another cut on contact point just like the very tip of the broadhead. In my mind I see its use as insurance when it runs up against the artery, veins and other large walled objects in the critter. In a regular blade that can get dull quick just going thru hide, ribs etc these leading edges hold up a bit better and can cause more damage to those bigger structures. When you gut your next deer, take your knife and try cutting the big arteries coming out of the heart without holding them down, just try and slice it, depending on the knife sharpness it may/may not cut it.They move around easy. I see the serrations going thru and "grabbing" that material and having a better chance at cutting the walls better than a complete straight edge that may have gotten dull on entry. Again I look at em as insurance that you may or may not need. It doesnt hurt to have them because like I said I sharpen em on a flat diamond and you do it like any other blade, I just hit the leading edges of the serrations with a ceramic triangle to make em "pricky" when you touch em. Over kill? maybe but since going this route and couple years ago the blood trails seem brighter and shorter. I hope this makes a modicum of sense LOL

redcarpet, I don't see any difference in deers reaction to buzzcut vs stingers but will say that just shooting the stingers in general and being a slender COC head that deer do not react to hits like they do with mechanical's or real wide heads. I think its why you hear so many reports of deer not going very far with them or dropping in sight, it has minimal trauma.
    XFIRE Bowstrings
    MAGNUS BROADHEADS

I shoot 100 gr buzzcuts because that's what i bought into and heard they left the better trails. Now in regards to reaction, i shot a buck at 18 yds and got a pass through with the buzzcut and he trotted off 10 or 20 yds and stopped to look around to see what the noise was apparently like he didn't even know he had 4 holes in his lungs. A few seconds later he stumbled and went down
    Athens Accomplice 32 66#/27"

I use the buzzcuts. Either way you have a great broadhead. They fly right with my field points and there is no fuss like with mechanicals and keeping the blades closed and worrying if they will open properly.

17. I prefer the buzzcut, penetrates just like the stinger but our tests have shown the buzzcut makes a bigger hole and a better blood trail. lifetime replacement guarantee. take a look
    Attached Images Attached Images

the deep penetration on the stingers will crush deer
    Never tried the buzzcuts, but yohon makes a great point
    i shot the buck in my avatar with a 4 blade stinger and the deer didnt know he was hit
    deer turned as i shot with deer facing downhill, arrow entered hind quarter and stopped at opposite shoulder, took out femoral, liver, diaphram, lung
    deer only went 50 yds
    Pope and Young Club Member
    Whitetails Unlimited Lifetime Member

I have tried both neither in my opinion left amazing blood trails seems the hide like to slip over the holes for some reason.

But like many have said for some reason 90% died within sight and the other 10% died under 40 just outta sight. Even my girlfriend pulled a who on a quarterin away deer and ht her right in the back ham but got the femoral artery no blood trail at all somehow but dead in 20yrds still puzzled over that one.. But was about 4 balloons worth inside the cavity.

Also yes I think buzzcutts IMO gave a little better trail stil no great but I hardly needed to trail them.
    ~~~And all you touch and all you see. Is all your life will ever be~~
    "P.Floyd"

Mine either died within sight or within 40yds save for two that were obviously my fault. The reactions compared to any other BH I have used were the same except one that just stood there looking around until it fell over kicking (Buzzcut). The others took off.

My daughter's first deer (a Stinger shot) ran straight into a tree and bounced off leaving a huge splatter on it. We still don't know if it knocked itself out or not, but we watched it hit and then bounce of limp as a noodle. Again her bow was at 36# pounds then.
    Anyone else sick of working to support those who don't?
    Anyone else sick of obeying laws made because idiots don't care about facts?
    Anyone else sick of people telling you to be polite about everything?
    I'm wondering how we got to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohon View Post
    Longtime user here and I sharpen the buzzcut blades just like the regular stinger blades, just pretend like the cut outs arent there, they are a essentially notches taken out of the blade. There are a lot of different "serrations" to be had and the one Magnus uses is specific to cutting. I took a close up of a buzzcut blade and hopefully can you can see the why of it as I had been told to me.

Notice how as we travel along the blade the serrations are kind of stair stepped as the blade gets wider. At the very tip of each step in the stair is a leading edge of one of the serrations(arrows drawn in pix), it acts as another cut on contact point just like the very tip of the broadhead. In my mind I see its use as insurance when it runs up against the artery, veins and other large walled objects in the critter. In a regular blade that can get dull quick just going thru hide, ribs etc these leading edges hold up a bit better and can cause more damage to those bigger structures. When you gut your next deer, take your knife and try cutting the big arteries coming out of the heart without holding them down, just try and slice it, depending on the knife sharpness it may/may not cut it.They move around easy. I see the serrations going thru and "grabbing" that material and having a better chance at cutting the walls better than a complete straight edge that may have gotten dull on entry. Again I look at em as insurance that you may or may not need. It doesnt hurt to have them because like I said I sharpen em on a flat diamond and you do it like any other blade, I just hit the leading edges of the serrations with a ceramic triangle to make em "pricky" when you touch em. Over kill? maybe but since going this route and couple years ago the blood trails seem brighter and shorter. I hope this makes a modicum of sense LOL

redcarpet, I don't see any difference in deers reaction to buzzcut vs stingers but will say that just shooting the stingers in general and being a slender COC head that deer do not react to hits like they do with mechanical's or real wide heads. I think its why you hear so many reports of deer not going very far with them or dropping in sight, it has minimal trauma.

Very good post!!!!!
    Hell yea I hunt those poor little deer I eat them too.
    highcountryarchery.net/ Yea they are back and making excellent bows!!!!!!!!
    I created the staggar back tuning method

I have both and can tell you either kill a deer. Niether will save you if your shot is not spot on. They fly like field tips and punch throughout deer like butter...... But you have to hit where you are aiming. Not a big enough cut to make up for sloppy shooting.
    2012 PSE Bow Madness XL 60 lbs @ 30"
    2012 Rytera Alien XT Hybrix 2.0 cams 65 lbs @ 30"
    2013 PSE EVO Max 70 lbs @ 30"
    2014 ELITE Energy 35 70 lbs @ 30" (Won it here on AT!!)

Quote Originally Posted by IA Monsterbuck View Post
    Question for you, do you shoot the regular or serrated (buzzcut) broadheads and why did you pick one over the other?
    regular ones for me,, fantastic broadhead

Quote Originally Posted by strut-n-rut View Post
    what about the snuffers. how do they do
    I hope to let you know in less than two months!
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse
    2011 PSE X-Force Dream Season Evo in black/camo; AAE DOA drop-away rest
    HHA OL-5019 sight; 1/4" Red Eye Peep; Spot-Hogg Saturday Night Special release
    27" Easton XX78 2314's with NAP Twisters and wraps; 125 grain Magnus Snuffers

I've been using the Buzzcuts for quite some time now. They fly great and leave great blood trails. Best CS on the market.

SCFox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast