Archery Talk Forum banner

An Illinois hunter says his big game slingbow is a capable deer hunting weapon, but t

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  nyturkeyduster 
#1 ·
Slingbows are modified slingshots that can shoot with force comparable to powerful compound bows.

The small weapons are gradually gaining popularity among big game hunters. One such hunter is Illinois resident John, “Chief A.J.”, Huffer, who makes and sells sling bows that can shoot 28-inch arrows.

Huffer wants to sell his sling bows to Illinois deer and turkey hunters, but the state DNR won’t let him.

According to the Herald Review, the DNR told Huffer that his device doesn’t generate enough velocity to be considered a humane big game hunting weapon. They said it’s only suitable for fish and smaller game animals.

The 76-year-old hunter and former tribal chief is suing the DNR for $5 million, claiming that he’s being forced to meet regulatory standards that other bow makers don’t have to worry about. Huffer claims he has the engineering reports to prove his weapon is a humane weapon for big game hunting.

He’s also claiming racial discrimination over his Cherokee and Menominee ancestry.

In this video, Huffer shows off his sling bow, and describes how he used to it kill an Alaskan bear and a moose in Utah.

If you have any doubts about Huffer’s ability to take down big game, consider his shooting accomplishments. According to herald-review.com, the former marine holds a world record for shooting more than 40,000 2-12 inch wood blocks tossed into the air, over eight, 14-hour days, without missing a shot.

His shooting skills have been featured on a National Geographic television program, and he’s even had a special-edition Daisy BB gun named after him.

Huffer is no stranger to legal battles, either. He’s a former tribal judge who has met with two U.S. Supreme Court Justices.

And, the man knows how to attract media attention. Huffer said he plans to wear a coat made from the fur of a huge grizzly bear he shot in Alaska using his sling bow to court.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/illin...y&utm_campaign=WOS_newsletter_7.13 - wos main

Youtube vid of the guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnN1Qvw1HAU

See less See more
#5 ·
There are to many politic's in our country now days he will never be able to sell it if they get there way

#11 ·
being highly inefficient and grossly abusive of power I bet the state government doesn't care what the cost is. No one is going to tell it what it can and cannot do.

Killed a bear and a moose, I'd say it gets'r done on a whitetail.

Whatever, I like the way this guy thinks outside the box, it's still a bow, 2 limbs and a string in what looks like the same stance.

#10 ·
Dave Canterbury has built these for years by zip tieing a whisker biscuit in it and modifying the nock with i think golf tees to use in a surivival situation on small game. but deer thats stretching it.

#12 ·
Did some quick research... looks like the very best slingshots shooting arrows might, (note: might-it seems like a stretch, pardon my pun) crest 30 ft-lbs of energy. So yes, these things are quite slow and inefficient. I can understand the game wardens position on this one.

#16 ·
Here is a guy trying to make a living using his own two hands in an area related to what we all love and we have to bash him. This makes no sense to me. Here in NC our minimum is 45lbs for a recurve, if this thing can generate the same KE what is the problem?

#18 ·
It is a weapon of choice for poachers. Shoot it out the window and hide the sling shot under the seat.
We had this happen a few years back. It took a couple visuals by the game warden to catch the guy. Second time when he threw it under the seat it didn't quite get out of view.
BTW: Indians never had rubber bands to shoot anything. Another Race card junkie.

#20 ·
They don't belong in the woods in my opinion, much like crossbows during archery season. But I'm also called a closed minded elitist at times....

#21 ·
Eh. They seem like they could be OK for things up to turkey sized. But they seem like a poor choice when precision and power are needed. Bottom line is all kinds of crazy contraptions can be used to kill things. What should and should not be allowed needs some regulation to protect the rights inherent to the animals and the public who share the wildlife. How open or closed should that regulation be? Now that is a hard question.

#24 ·
The guy is just trying to make it legal so he can sell more of them. The people that have heard of him in Illinois have no respect for him. The state won't listen to him because he thinks his race has everything to do with them not approving a weapon that should not be used for deer.

#30 ·
and the state government of Ill. is so respected. This guy maybe a loser, but saying the state says he's one only makes him look better. Corruption in Ill. state government is well known.

Did you know the old Abe worked for the state of Ill. He represented the state against a man and his sons who started a business there. The man had bought land on a river and set up a mill using the water as power. His 2 sons setup similar mills. Everything was going well till the state diverted the water, the man sued. Abe won the case for the state getting the court to declare the man only owned half the water in the river, the side he owned land on. The family was ruined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.