a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Staying fit

Staying fit

Do you all stay fit for hunting or over all health? I myself stay for for overall health. Would you all share some workouts you do to stay fit?

2014 elite energy 35 black/flo green
    VT custom strings, VT limb driver micro elite arrow rest
    Spot hogg hog father,Bee stinger stabilzer
    Gold tip pro hunters,Scott backspin 4 finger straight
    heartlandoutdoor.com -outfitting your lifestyle!

Let me start out by sharing my routine. I follow a german volume training based workout.
    Monday morning: arms; EZ bar reverse Scott curl 10x10, 60 second rest intervals, tricep dips 10x10 60 second rest intervals, incline dumbbell curl 10x10 60 second rest intervals, lying tricep extensions 3x12 60 second rest intervals.
    Wednesday morning: chest/back; incline 10x10 75 second rest intervals, chin up 10x10 75 second rest intervals, flat bench 10x10 75 second rest interval, bent over rows 3x12 60 second rest intervals
    Friday: Lower body/abs; back squat 10x10 75 second rest intervals, lying leg curls 10x10 60 second rest intervals, straight leg dead lift 3x12 60 second rest intervals, standing calf raise 3x12 60 second rest intervals.
    Saturday cardio. 20 minutes exercise bike. 10x4 40 yard dash.

Overall health, because I enjoy lifting weights, and to make my two favorite hobbies hockey and hunting easier. So three intersecting reasons.

I go to a "CrossFit" gym but the training is strength biased and periodized.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk32 View Post
    Overall health, because I enjoy lifting weights, and to make my two favorite hobbies hockey and hunting easier. So three intersecting reasons.

I go to a "CrossFit" gym but the training is strength biased and periodized.
    That's awesome, I want to try crossfit but there are soo many crossfit gyms popping up hard to tell which one is truly legit.

To be healthy. I feel guilty if I don't work out or start getting love handles.

Quite honestly if you ask me, insanity mixed with weightlifting is all you need. And it's cheaper to get that membership over crossfit, but crossfit is fun too. Just spendy

Anyone follow a strict diet. My diet mostly is eggs,chicken, salmon, deer, rice, and lettuce

No I want to enjoy life. I do restrain myself at times so that I dont become gluttonous, but I don't believe in strict diets.

I try to stay in decent health all year around, but the hunting thing really helps motivate me. Thinner, stronger, less sweating early season & easier to climb and stay on my legs for extended periods of time in my ageing but effective TrophyLine Tree Saddles etc.....

I have just enough time to run 3+ miles, 3x a week from mid April through Labor-Day. I run off-road hiking/snowmobile trails in the woods. (I end up about a mile or so from the nearest road/house at the far end of my loop.)
    Sometimes I run at night after work instead of early in the AM. (Frequently after 10 pm. under a white headlamp because I work some crazy hours during the summer months.)

I find running at night to be rather enjoyable. This evening I went out just before I needed my lamp (it rained around dinnertime, so my work day ended earlier than usual.) I'm pretty sure I kicked up a good sized black bear about 10 yards off the trail this evening.
    It was big, and definitely didn't sound like a deer exiting swiftly, as this creature hastily thrashed through scrub oak on the side of the trail at dusk. (There are lots of blueberries all around this spot too.) I never saw it though. (Way too thick.) ~ At first it kind of surprised/startled me. (On the return leg, I was on high alert as it was almost pitch black then. Regardless, whatever it was, it must have moved out of the area.)

PS: I find I actually make better time running at night! (even when my legs are already tired from a long day on them) I suspect it's a subconscious attempt to keep whatever is chasing me, from catching me! ~ LOL
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

I try and stay as fit as possible year round. Obviously I find it easier to be "fitter" in the late spring/summer/early fall months, but I try and maintain a level of fitness that leaves me able to "compete" in various athletic events year round, whether its skiing, running 5k/half marathons, or ATV racing.

General fitness for hunting never crosses my mind. I live and hunt in western PA 99.9% of the time. Its pretty flat, with not much elevation change on the properties I hunt, with woods/field mixture. I haven't hunted out west in 13 years, but I've been out west skiing a dozen times in that time frame. So training or preparing physically for terrain that I'll see when I hunt is not of much importance (but if I do go hunting out west in the rockies, I wouldnt change anything in my normal routine accept for maybe adapting ruck sack hikes and run's into my workouts).

As for routines, programs, plans, I do not follow any specifically. I run 4-5 days a week, with run's varying in distance from 3-12 miles depending on day, time available, weather, and overall feel of my body. I don't go to the gym anymore. Instead I now to functional fitness at home with kettle bells, battle ropes, big tractor tires, split wood, climb stuff, or I'll use my olympic bar and plate weights if I feel the need to squat or dead lift traditionally. Some days, I'll hit up the local mountain bike trails for a couple hours, or me and the girl friend will hike local trails. Basically (other than training run's for 5k's or a half) I am not married to a workout routine. I like doing kettle bell workouts, or functional fitness workouts, and I adapt my routines all the time and get idea's from www.onnit.com/academy or from crossfit style wod's (but I do not do crossfit, nor will I pay to do that ****). I used to get into the "I gotta put on muscle" ideology, and I used to be into the endurance athlete ideology, and have found that in the middle, not big or skinny, super strong or supper cardio, is what has worked best for me, my lifestyle, or the things I like to do and pursue.

Diet could be my main glaring weakness. I dont count calories, or macro's, or follow any particular diet plan or ideology other than eating as many whole foods as possible. I try to avoid and eliminate as many processed or unhealthy foods as possible and try and avoid as many refined carbs/sugars as possible while eating healthy fats and proteins. My girl friend comes from a big italian family, and I like to eat. Live a little.....
    Current Units:
    2013 Blue PSE Phenom, 27.5", 58#, 12" Doinker D.I.S.H., Doinker 12 Fatty side rod, some dovetail micro adjust sight (BHFS setup)
    2012 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT, 27.5", 64#, 12" Doinker D.I.S.H., Truglo Micro Brite sight w/detachable bracket

I stay fit year round and use a combination of nutrition and various workouts including weight-training, running, mountain biking, snow shoeing and cross-fit.

I also compete in multiple running events and cycling events throughout the year.

I love bow hunting but I wouldn't say its my primary reason for staying fit.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by Etheis View Post
    Anyone follow a strict diet. My diet mostly is eggs,chicken, salmon, deer, rice, and lettuce
    Fruits, veggies, nuts?
    If you ask me your missing the boat a little.
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by DMAX-HD View Post
    Fruits, veggies, nuts?
    If you ask me your missing the boat a little.
    Yes I love eating a combination of peanuts and raisins for a snack, green beans, corn, and spinach are my top choices for veggies, bannanas apples and cherrys are my favorite fruits. I know I'm leaving more out.

Peanuts are expensive!!!

I stay fit year around for overall health, hunting, and breeding purposes. I keep a 'strict' diet by most's standards year-round with a lot more 'play' in my dietduring 'bulking' and hunting season. From a hunting stand point, it helps me with deer and turkey. Long hauls carrying a climber, hunting some areas where I have to roll deer out with a buggy 1.5+ miles... But ultimately my favorite benefit is when it comes to TURKEY! I travel to numerous states each spring and normally hunt at least 1 state with real hilly/steep terrain. I take pride in "If I hear him gobble, I can probably get to him". I'll get a compass bearing of a gobble and bail off into some ridiculous stuff for a turkey. I did run into some cliffs a few times this year in the Daniel Boone NF of Kentucky that kept me from going directly to a gobbler. But I got around them and did a little rock climbing. I've killed several birds most hunters wouldn't even think about going after. And i've put myself in some dumb situations in 'iffy' terrain going after birds. But as you can tell, I LOVE MY TURKEY HUNTING! And staying fit pays off huge dividends for me when hunting in tough terrain.

I've been into fitness ever since my parents bought me a Weider Bench and free weights when I was around 12.

I couldn't imagine not being fit, it's just as big a part of my life as sleeping and going to work.

I watch what I eat, but I don't diet. No soft drinks, just water+fruit juice. I eat only fresh produce and meats and rice, nothing out of a box, no sweets, ice cream etc.

I watch my weight daily, and adjust my portions if I want to lean up a little, but I've been in the mid 180's for over a decade and I'm happy with that.
    Elite Judge
    Elite Z28

Been following a 5 day / week body weight routine for about a month now. Beginner routine from baristi-workout.com. Loving this stuff over weights. Starting a "grease the groove" process today to increase pull up numbers. Once I get to 20, I'll add a weight belt. Guy I work out with likes to do a weight day once in a while, so I do that with him. Like today, we did biceps. 2 circuits of 3 exercises. 2 rounds each circuit. All biceps. I'll say, Biceps and Triceps are the one workout I'm willing to do that with because of the post workout swelling Confidence builder for sure.
    I built some parallettes last night and am going to start training with this evening. Those and pull up reps will be a nightly thing. It's more technique based, but should help significantly with my core and upper body. Going to buy an atlas stone soon as well. Getting upper body gains to the point where I need to start incorporating some leg work
    Don't diet, but I try to eat food. Watching your food, IMO, is much easier when you're working out. It's easier to pass up that piece of cake at the office party when you just got done kicking your own ass and your muscles feel like they're about to burst. Why would you negate that by eating that little square of sugar? That delicious, little mouth watering square of sugar ....oh, sorry.
    Tomorrow is Yoga day. We've talked about it for a while, but he found a portable DVD player he can bring to work that we can take to our "gym".