Thread: New and in need of help!

New and in need of help!

Hi guys, I've been hunting for 2 years now and last season I went bow hunting for the first time and fell in love with it! But I'm still pretty new to this, I've found what works for me when it comes to equipment but I could use some advice when it comes to hunting clothes. I live in the mountains in W.V. and I hunt out of a ground blind. So any advice will be helpful. From base layers all the way to the outer layer please. And I am just getting out on my own so the very high dollar stuff is off the market for me. Thanks to all that comment!!

When I started out I bought woodland camo from an army surplus store, and anything else that was cheap, still do. Color and pattern doesn't matter as long as it doesn't contrast greatly with the natural surroundings. None of my pieces of clothing match, and I still like the large pattern of the old woodland camo. If I see something really cheap, I'll get it. As far as cold gear, and it's a lot colder up here, I've always used old sweaters and sweatshirts under a hunting coat. Even my wife's stuff if it's big enough. She throws away perfectly good stuff just because it's out of style. Cut the sleeves off. You don't want the bulk on the arms, and don't need it to keep arms warm. I put my money into warm boots, and gloves. They don't have to be made for hunting, but the boots should have rubber lowers to keep your feet dry and control scent. Any warm beeny will do on the head. Long johns(whatever you can afford) that wick sweat away from your skin will keep you warmer. I don't like to wear them on my legs when I plan on doing a lot of walking. One piece suits are nice if you get temps down in the teens for a high, otherwise just layer up. Wear layers that are loose fitting. Compressed clothes loose insulating values, same as boots that don't have room around the toes. Ask for gift certificates to Cabela's, or a sporting goods store around you, for your birthday and x-mas. That's how I get my stuff. You really don't need to buy more than a license and weapon, but some of the stuff is nice to have, like rain gear. I still take a large(45gl) trash bag incase it pours, instead of carrying rain gear on an iffy day.
    Welcome to AT!

Ok thanks for your advice, and I'll keep all of that in mind!

Forgot to mention, if you're hunting only out of a blind, any dark color outer layer will do.

Quote Originally Posted by 25ft-up View Post
    When I started out I bought woodland camo from an army surplus store, and anything else that was cheap, still do. Color and pattern doesn't matter as long as it doesn't contrast greatly with the natural surroundings. None of my pieces of clothing match, and I still like the large pattern of the old woodland camo. If I see something really cheap, I'll get it. As far as cold gear, and it's a lot colder up here, I've always used old sweaters and sweatshirts under a hunting coat. Even my wife's stuff if it's big enough. She throws away perfectly good stuff just because it's out of style. Cut the sleeves off. You don't want the bulk on the arms, and don't need it to keep arms warm. I put my money into warm boots, and gloves. They don't have to be made for hunting, but the boots should have rubber lowers to keep your feet dry and control scent. Any warm beeny will do on the head. Long johns(whatever you can afford) that wick sweat away from your skin will keep you warmer. I don't like to wear them on my legs when I plan on doing a lot of walking. One piece suits are nice if you get temps down in the teens for a high, otherwise just layer up. Wear layers that are loose fitting. Compressed clothes loose insulating values, same as boots that don't have room around the toes. Ask for gift certificates to Cabela's, or a sporting goods store around you, for your birthday and x-mas. That's how I get my stuff. You really don't need to buy more than a license and weapon, but some of the stuff is nice to have, like rain gear. I still take a large(45gl) trash bag incase it pours, instead of carrying rain gear on an iffy day.
    Welcome to AT!

I'm with you on this one. Where I hunt, I've seen 80 degrees, and I've seen 18" of snow. Its impossible to buy gear that matches the day.
    I have some fairly basic base layers - all synthetic, but not expensive.
    I also have a very thin, and and quiet jacket as an outer layer.
    In the middle? I wear whatever I happen to have that day. In the warm, I might wear nothing other than my base top. In the cold, I might throw on 3 layers of wool, fleece, or anything I have that I think its the right weight - colors and patterns don't matter, because my thin camo jacket covers it up.
    When it rains, I'll put my raincoat on under the thin outer jacket. It keeps my body dry, while the jacket on the outside keeps the raincoat quiet.

So I say you get a nice base layer, a large size, but thin camo jacket, then put whatever you want in the middle.

Okkkk good to know, thanks!!