Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are your hunting partners not as obsessed as you?

Most of the bowhunters I hunt with are just as committed. But there's always that guy
    2014 Elite Energy 35 - Realtree Xtra
    RipCord Code Red
    HHA OL-5519
    TruBall Stinger

My number one hunting buddy hunts as hard as I do...BUT he rarely practices with his bow. Last year he shot it six times. Not six days, but six arrows! Actually seven times if you count the deer that he double lunged. He is a very good shot.
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
    John Galt

Im lucky my main hunting partner is my brother...he is just as dedicated as I am..I am just slightly more anal about a few things as he is. Some buddies are as dedicated while others are not.

It seems to me the actual hunting is kind of a solo sport, but our level of enthusiasm towards whitetails is what attracts people of equal interest. The people I know who are most into deer have become my best friends. Its tough once you have kids and families to get everything done, much less expect others in similar situations do it. I give almost all my time to the deer, in the fall I will have earned the rewards. Im just happy to have my die hard buddies to celebrate with! I expect nothing more from them.
    " YOU GOTTA WANT IT!"

I am clearly the crazy one.
    I have a friend that is a eager hunter, but not as much as me.
    I have always been the one that wants to hunt the most, spend the most money on hunting and wants to travel all over the world to hunt.
    Before I had the time and money to do that.

Now the situation has changed, I am still the most eager, but our life situations have changed.
    He is now working in the oil industry earning much money and have lots of weeks free from work and is now willing to spend more time and money on hunting.
    I have become a single dad with full custody for 2 kids of 5 and 8 years and have much more limited time and money to go hunting than I had before.

Luckily my kids are starting to get so big that I can take them hunting with me now and then.
    I hope they will become as eager(crazy) as I am when it comes to hunting

The guy I hunt with the most does not believe in scouting, he waits until about a day before the season starts and then tries to find a good spot. I scout year round as I love being in the woods

it seems my buddies are the same way, everyone wants to hunt, getting them to help is a different story. I always tell myself I'm going to put my foot down, but I don't know how to do so without possibly losing a friendship. I've spent countless money on stands, food plots, equipment, and dedicate every weekend to putting in the work for the season. Of course they claim to have too many things going on just to sneak away for one weekend, but as soon as October rolls around they're able to get every weekend off, and throw a fit when I go out of town during deer season. I think getting an individual lease may be the way to go.
    Elite Energy 35 84lbs 30" Easton FMJ 510 grains 293fps
    Hoyt Buffalo Recurve 71lbs @ 30" Beman Nightfall 300s
    Bowtech Tribute 104lbs 30" Easton FMJ Dangerous Game 250

My buddy would be more dedicated if he had the time but he's a single dad with full custody of his 3 kids. It's hard enough for him to find time to take a dump without being interrupted let alone get out to bowhunt.
    That's a different story...guy in question just sounds lazy. Not really a question of obsession. Just waiting for OP to jump in and do it first. People like that at work, in the field, everywhere. But if he's paying...what can you do. Better than I have.

Hunting and archery is my passion. I hunt alone 95% of the time but my friends always say they are going to hunt a lot this year but they never do. I go hunting if it is snowing, raining or 35mph winds. I bring deer home when they are in their warm houses. They say "It is too windy and the deer won't be moving." I love showing up at their house with a deer when they made excuses not to go.
    Airborne Archery LLC, Authorized Obsession Dealer, Authorized Athens Archery DealerAuthorized Diamond, Styker & Octane Dealer
    2014 Obsession Phoenix, Spot Hogg Hogg-It, QAD HDX, Tight Spot Quiver
    2014 Obsession Evolution, Athens Testament, Spott Hogg Hogg It, QAD HDX, Tight Spot Quiver

I only hunt with people as dedicated as I am. And only let those people hunt with me on any of my properties (a combined almost 1000 acres). I'm sorry. I just don't have the time or patience to hunt with people who aren't willing to put the practice, scouting time and work into it. Anyone who hunts has to help scout, plant plots, do habitat management and pass an archery test. Ensures clean ethical kills and a hunter who cares about what he's doing
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I hunt everyday, twice a day from Oct. 1 through the gun seasons so it is pretty hard to find anyone to go long. Most people just aren't possessed with it like I am. I pretty much do all the prep with some help from my dad but I would rather do it myself so it is done right and to my liking.

I hunt with Tim Knight. I don't know anyone more obsessed than he is. I used to be, but not any more.

last year I hunted with two different guys and they wouldn't even get themselves properly ready for a hunt. They rarely practiced and were always late. I know for a fact they got us busted more than once and one of them almost cost me the nice buck I shot. This year is completely different. I met a guy through AT who is close enough to me and crazy enough that we will be hunting together this fall. We have been out the last two Saturdays checking cameras, checking feeders, we are shooting together and he has placed one of my cameras on some property near him so we can check it out as well. He is just as fussy about scent, stands, and shooting as I am so this year will be fun.
    Living like Christ is impossible for Man,
    Living as a Disciple,,, I can do that

I have an addiction a real hunting problemy friends usually say they'll come along but its sporadic. Gun season is my time to hunt with others. Wifey isn't much into archery but does like taking pictures and gun hunting. She thinks I have a few screws loose and that I spend too much time on archery talk reading

Quote Originally Posted by wacker stacker View Post
    I hunt everyday, twice a day from Oct. 1 through the gun seasons so it is pretty hard to find anyone to go long. Most people just aren't possessed with it like I am. I pretty much do all the prep with some help from my dad but I would rather do it myself so it is done right and to my liking.
    If we lived close enough you could count me in. I live for this and my family fully supports me in this effort.
    Living like Christ is impossible for Man,
    Living as a Disciple,,, I can do that

It sounds like your hunting partner is lazy... he knows that if he doesnt do any of the prep work that you will do it and he can reap the benefits of you putting in the food plots, setting stands, and cutting lanes. If i were you i probably wouldnt hunt with him any longer. I refuse to do the work for someone that is not willing to do the same amount of work. It would be a different story if he set the stand trimmed lanes and you put in the food plots then the work would be split down the middle.

My only true partner that i hunt with is my dad. he has been committed to scouting as much as me, finding new spots on public land, finding new already clean trees to climb, but he does not shoot as much as he should. i been on his case about shooting more. we have about 10 weeks before our season starts and I told him he needs to shoot atleast once per week til the season. The good thing about him is, he is an experienced hunter and we will not chance a shot he is not confident in or one out of his effective range. he is very disciplined when it comes to that. But he doesnt understand that his lack of shooting limits him in the woods.
    2011 Destroyer 350 28.5" 65#, 10" "SIAZ" stab, Axcel Armortech Hd 5 pin .010, Ripcord, Gold Tip Velocity 7595's 423 gr, 100gr Killzones, RamCats, Tru Ball Short N Sweet, Carter Just B Cuz
    Twisted Archer Custom Bowstrings
    Team 18 - DeadLock

I have to hunt alone 100% of the time. I have virtually no private land , because around here if you ask to hunt or lease its like you are asking them for a million dollars and frankly I got tired of getting berated and cursed out just for simply asking a question. I hunt 13 acres on the side of a rock cliff above a highway and that's about it.
    I just dont have buddies with land access at all , and the last time I finally found a lease , my extremely dedicated hunting buddy didn't have the money so I paid the entire lease , and never got paid back and let him use one of my bows , and after about 4-5 trips he decided that he liked drugs better than hunting and also kept and sold my bow.
    We had hunted together for 10 years and he just went down the wrong path in life.
    I would love to have land to share with someone , and someone that would like to hunt as much as me , or someone to hunt at all for that matter.
    I hunt by myself all the time and have crappy land , but still manage to kill a few each year, but to me the entire hunting experience just isn't nearly as fun with no one to share stories with and no one to help you when you are by yourself . To tell the truth if I just had one decent hunting partner it would help me want to go an lot more than I do now.
    I have almost lost interest in hunting all together , simply because I literally have no one to help me with anything. I work hard for everything that I get , but I have to do it all by myself , and with me being the only one in my family that hunts its hard to explain the things that you see and the kills or near misses and just the entire outdoor experience when no one cares enough to listen.
    Bow, arrows , and broadheads

I am the one who does most of the work on the lease...he always says he's busy with his friggin' family....this may be my last year with the lease, I'm tired of doing all the stuff...if left to himself to hang stands and find locations, he'll never kill a deer....he paid 2/3 or the lease, I 1/3 but not with the intention of me being the "guide" .....plus, he's color blind so he'll never be able to track a deer, he's a lousy tracker anyways.....I may just go back to hunting state land, its cheaper but dealing with Idiots is why I got away from it....I like having a place to myself....
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

I hunt alone. I lease one spot with a buddy and I do all the work. I like doing it that way and i get enjoyment out of it. own 400 acres in ny with another guy and we do a fair amount together. sometimes its nice to be alone even if its harder. I am too hardcore when it comes to hunting and fishing. weather doesn't dictate anything for me which usually leaves me out there alone. i would be the most miserable person if I couldn't hunt or fish on a weekly basis.
    Elite Pulse 28/70 LD, Boss Hogg, B Stinger, Kwikee, CT Whtetail XP's, Slick Tricks
    SR-71 28/70 LD, CBE Quad Light 3D, B Stinger, CT Cheetah's

None of my friends or family is as deer crazy as me........I'll still get to hunt this year with a few of them but I often get the 5am text " sorry going to sleep in today dude". That's ok, I'll have meat in the freezer and they can keep those few extra hours of sleep. I don't get mad bc everything I do for the season I do for myself.
    2013 PSE Stinger 3G #55 DL-28
    Trophy Ridge Static 9" Stabalizer
    Trophy Ridge Kill Shot WB
    Tru-Glo Single Pin Archer's Choice Sight
    Slick Trick magnums 100g

My west quest hunting partner and I are equally obsessed!! kinda scary

I consider myself quite dedicated when it comes to hunting. However you have to know when your doing to much and when your not doing enough.

I once hunted with a guy that wanted to scout almost every day of the summer. I'm a firm believer that scouting pays off, however to much scouting tends to push the deer out of the woods and does more harm then good..

I think I'm the more obsessed one when it comes to hunting. I get the land, scout it, and shoot way more just because I have way more time. But I like doing everything myself so I know how everything is going to be. I enjoy having someone with me while hunting also but every once in awhile I like to go by myself.

Had the same issue now for several years. Good guys but lazy when it comes to scouting and working. I have a much more busy scedule than either of them yet I seem to go out and do ten times more than both of them. I made a decision at the end of last season,I will not scout or hang stands for them. I want to get back to enjoying my hunting days again not babysitting and not constantly answering texts from them while I try to hunt. They are the kinda hunters that are on facebook the whole time they are on stand, and thats not me at all. I will be doing a lot of solo hunting like it used to be, no more having to talk them into getting up and going.
    ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ....

I don't have any friends as dedicated as I am. The slacked up as we got older. I do miss hunting out of state with a couple good friends.
    HOYT Carbon Element, Rip cord rest, Montana black gold flash point micro 4 pin, hoyt pro series arrow quiver, beman ics hunters, slick trick 100 mags
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse
    Team 31 Ridgetop Warriors 2010/2011 bowhunting champs
    2013-14 Magnificent 7 bowhunting champs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast