Archery Talk Forum banner

Are your hunting partners not as obsessed as you?

4K views 83 replies 64 participants last post by  OhWell 
#1 ·
95% of the time I hunt alone, but I do lease a property with another guy. Couldn't afford it without him. My hunting buddy is a great guy, but he definitely doesn't put in the extra time. That's fine, people have lives. The hard part is he always calls and says he'll do this or that for our property. Never does. So I end up doing all the scouting and prep work. I'm not a control freak, but I know if I don't do it, it won't get done. I'm a big believer in hard work today will pay off in November. These next few weeks are fairly critical for prep work on the food plots, so it's not like I can give him the benefit of the doubt. It's gotta get done.

Like I said, I don't hold it against him that he doesn't get to it, it just gets frustrating and I start to feel like a nag, but come November, he's all over it.

Maybe I'm just more obsessed?

How about you, are you the crazy one?

#2 ·
Years ago my buddy and I decided we were sick of waiting for others. So we developed the "I'm going at X o'clock. If you want to come along, be there at least 5 min year. The bus leaves at a o'clock sharp." He's a hardcore duck hunter, I am a hardcore fisherman. We end up going alone a lot.

#3 ·
I dont think Ive hunted with anyone since my first or second year. No one puts in the dedication or scouting that I do. Im not going to put in all the work and then have my buddies sit in my honey hole and whack deer. I have yet to find anyone as dedicated as I am.

#5 ·
I hunt mostly public land. I have a friend who hunts with me a lot who is just as dedicated as I am. We scout out different sections of WMA's separately and help each other out.

#6 ·
Hunt alone...but got in on a lease this year. Main guy does most of the work...putting in plots, etc. and been helping him a lot. The other 2 are no shows until season begins. I still like hinting the public stuff alone. At least one is as serious as me!

#11 ·
I enjoy it all so it doesn't bother me if they are not into it as much as me. I adopted a philosophy a long time ago that this was supposed to be fun. If I don't have the time for the plots for a year, well they don't get done. I will still have fun hunting. They get what they need out of it and I get what I need out of it.

#13 ·
Truth be told, I don't think there's squat on there for deer right now. Hoping to draw them in and hold their interest. I think the property is another few years away from being decent. It won't be for a lack of effort on my part. I found one spot in the farthest darkest corner that I think could produce a big boy come rut. Keeping that one a secret.

Like I said man, something on our side of town would be sweet!

#14 ·
I'm the crazy one, I hunt more than anyone else I know as often as I can. The girlfriend hates me at times but she isn't complaining when the freezer is full of lean meat. She hunts too, but no where near as much as I do. My friends and close relatives are all having kids and getting married, I just keep getting more awesome and hunt whenever I don't have to work.

I travel all over New York and sometimes Vermont and New Jersey chasing stuff. It doesn't get old!

#15 ·
I only had a hunting partner, because it was his uncles property that we hunted. It was a pain though, because he never had any time to do anything or the money. I have new property and basically dumped him and his property. Last year I hunted the new property hard and for days straight. He would call to go out for one evening on a saturday or sunday, but Id be out at the other property. It just wasnt gonna work out, because of his limited time. I hunt alone now and did all my scouting last year. I will hunt my same location again this year. Other than checking cams and putting out minerals and other food sources, I dont do a whole lot. Im pretty much set on when and where I will hunt again this year.

#16 ·
I have 2 times a year that I have 2 to 3 guys from work come along with me for 3 days and hunt a place I have hooked us up with. I am more of a GUIDE / OUTFITTER than hunting buddy. Last year was the first year for one of the guys and I let him use a stand and steps. I walked him through everything and tried to get him on deer and bear. I managed to get a deer on our first trip and then a shot on one on the second trip. The other guys seem to have so much other stuff going on it is hard to get them to commit to anything until the last minute. They don't shoot anywhere near as much as I do. To them......bowhunting is something that you only do during the 3 to 6 days a year that they head to the woods. For me it is 24/7/365. Because of this I end up teaching more than hunting when they go. The rest of the year I go solo.
( my wife seems to think I have a mental illness when it comes to bowhunting.....but she loves me anyway)

#17 ·
I'm on my 3rd year leasing. Buddy and I split duties and money pretty even the first two yrs. This yr I tried to get out of it but he convinced me to stick it out. I don't mind the work, but plots become too much like work. My kids take a lot of my time with sports. I'd prefer a place requiring minimal time. Maybe your buddies situation is similar.

#21 ·
There is 5 of us in our group. All are as dedicated as i am. We have a great group and i wouldnt want to hunt with anyone else!! Most of the time we all get to hunt together, other times there is just 2-3 of us. Sometimes its just me! We are all great about sharing spots and info of different areas we hunt with each other. I have it very good with them!!

#22 ·
Thinking back to past experiences, I find this topic interesting.

As someone who doesn't want the less hardcore to hunt/fish with them. I think sometimes the less hardcore don't want to hunt/fish the gung-ho. They both can ruin each others experiences.

I stopped hunting at deer camp a few years before the others. They were irritating as he11 every morning I wanted to stay in my warm bed and they were going hunting. I still don't get why they needed me to go with them.

#23 ·
Unfortunately I only have one friend of mine that is into hunting and hunts as much as I do. All my other hunting buddies can hardly sit in a stand for more than 30-40 mins before they are fast asleep. To me hunting is a year round activity whether it's shooting, land work, scouting, etc and to them it's just something they might do on a weekend here and there.

#25 ·
To me it's much more than hunting. To me it's a way of life. My obsession goes way beyond just the actual hunting sit. It's all the prep work that goes into my passion. I have a couple close friends that I hunt with. They don't get out near as much as I do so therefore I don't expect as much out of them. To be honest I wouldn't care if they didn't do much at all. I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to my sets. I take pride in strategically placing awesome sets & I love the texts that I get from my buddys about how awesome the new set was & how many deer they saw. I could be just as happy if they shot the big one because I would feel like I had a little bit to do with it. Kinda like a sense of satisfaction that one of my sets produced.

#66 ·
I feel this way about fishing, but not deer hunting. I like to take my friends and family out and let them catch fish. My stands are MINE! I will not share my buck stands with anyone if I can help it. My bucks stay confidential! This may sound selfish, but it is what it is. :wink:

#27 ·
My number one hunting buddy hunts as hard as I do...BUT he rarely practices with his bow. Last year he shot it six times. Not six days, but six arrows! Actually seven times if you count the deer that he double lunged. He is a very good shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.