Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Minnesota public land ??

  1. #1

    Minnesota public land ??

    I will be working in northern IA throughout the fall. I will be traveling to MN on the weekends to hunt whitetail. I was just wondering what the public land has to offer.

    05 SWITCHBACK


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hibbing, MN
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Kills meals View Post
    I will be working in northern IA throughout the fall. I will be traveling to MN on the weekends to hunt whitetail. I was just wondering what the public land has to offer.
    NE or NW Iowa? Good luck finding land in SE MN. Now sure about SW.
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

  3. #3
    NW Iowa
    05 SWITCHBACK

  4. #4
    To be clear I am not asking for specific spots just a little information about pressure, deer numbers etc.
    05 SWITCHBACK

  5. #5
    Nothing....
    05 SWITCHBACK

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    686
    Theres good public land in SE MN. Lots of pressure, but like anywhere you can work to get away from it. There are B&C deer taken every year off public in SE MN. Beautiful Country!
    " YOU GOTTA WANT IT!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    central MN
    Posts
    4,494
    I would look at SD instead. Not a lot of public land in SW MN. You can get a MN PRIM map. That will show you public land in the state. Here is a link that might help: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/index.html
    Shooting yesterday's technology today!
    Hoyt Vectrix XL 60#, 29" DL
    Hoyt Maxxis 35 60#, 29" DL
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 and 340
    Rocket Steelheads 100 and 125 grains

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    885
    SE MN get pressured very hard from what I hear and have seen. With that said, there are animals to be had around the whitewater area if you work to get away from others.
    Counting down the days til MN season starts!

  9. #9
    I pheasant hunt in SW Minnesota and there is an abundance of public land down there. From what I have noticed, most plots are smaller and have main road access so there is plenty of pressure. Another thing to consider is that most of the private land with walk-in access is located in the southwest portion of the state so buying a walk-in access permit might be a good investment.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hibbing, MN
    Posts
    1,078
    One major problem with SE MN is the Hmong. I don't know how 3 dip***** hunters down there thought a 19' sparkly glass boat on the river was a deer but I was taking cover on the floor of the boat like I was in a war. They hit the cabin that was behind my boat.

    They were actually shooting at a fawn as it ran between them and the river. Which they could clearly see as I could see all of them in their stands.
    "A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." Laurence J. Peter

  11. #11
    Check out S.D or Neb.. I think you'll be better off with Mn comments.. Also, Antelope opens Aug. in those states, no draw.
    Always Thankful

  12. #12
    Finding private land in SE MN...next to impossible unless your related to someone or grew up with them or want to pay big dollars.

    Whitewater WMA is a huge public area....but gets a lot of crowds also during key times of the year. If you walk far enough back (at least a mile) you can get away from the crowds somewhat. Nice deer taken there every year but you do have to compete for them.

    Good luck on your hunt wherever you end up.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade B View Post
    One major problem with SE MN is the Hmong. I don't know how 3 dip***** hunters down there thought a 19' sparkly glass boat on the river was a deer but I was taking cover on the floor of the boat like I was in a war. They hit the cabin that was behind my boat.

    They were actually shooting at a fawn as it ran between them and the river. Which they could clearly see as I could see all of them in their stands.
    Sounds like my experience in se mn, got pellets rained on me, and scoped by a .22, courtesy of people who couldn't speak English. I did kill a nice ten pt but I'd never hunt there again

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,405
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder357 View Post
    Finding private land in SE MN...next to impossible unless your related to someone or grew up with them or want to pay big dollars.

    Whitewater WMA is a huge public area....but gets a lot of crowds also during key times of the year. If you walk far enough back (at least a mile) you can get away from the crowds somewhat. Nice deer taken there every year but you do have to compete for them.
    Good luck on your hunt wherever you end up.
    I agree, my buddy hunts mid week during late October and always see's nice bucks...Just gotta put a little more effort into it i think...
    Hoyt Vector 32, 30'/82 lb , Hoyt Vectrix 30'/71 lb
    QAD Ulta HD rest Black Gold 4 pin
    Octane 8" stab.
    Rage Two Blade Broadheads 100 Grain
    Easton Axis N-Fused 300 & Goldtiped 5575's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •