Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you think shooting guns around where u hunt will keep the deer away?

do you think shooting guns around where u hunt will keep the deer away?

Just curious what others thoughts are. I always figured they'd get used to it but I'm no expert.
    You can do more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word.

Last year I sat in a deer stand watching two does while my neighbors sighted in their rifles and it didn't seem to phase them. I broke a tree branch and they looked right at me.
    Carbon Spyder Turbo.
    Pro Edge Elite

Carbon Spyder Turbo
    Pro Edge Elite

It can't help!
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

Quote Originally Posted by AVENSTOKE View Post
    Last year I sat in a deer stand watching two does while my neighbors sighted in their rifles and it didn't seem to phase them. I broke a tree branch and they looked right at me.
    Ha!
    2014 Elite Energy 35 - Realtree Xtra
    RipCord Code Red
    HHA OL-5519
    TruBall Stinger

Shooting and dogs seem to really spook deer.
    "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."
    Teddy Roosevelt

It's one of those things you can't control, so I don't worry about it. You might not be shooting guns, but your neighbors will be.

I actually shot my first deer ever, with a bow 300 yards from a pistol course as they were running competitive drills. All deer react differently to disturbances depending on their environment.
    Eat More Meat!
    "My God, Woodrow. It's been quite a party, ain't it?" - Augustus McCrae

I have seen deer out on the range just chilling while Marines were doing our rifle range at Stone Bay. Guess they can get used to it. I still don't think it helps though.
    Anyone else sick of working to support those who don't?
    Anyone else sick of obeying laws made because idiots don't care about facts?
    Anyone else sick of people telling you to be polite about everything?
    I'm wondering how we got to this point.

It cant help but I think they know the difference between shooting and being shot at. I live in fairly open country and ive watched deer feed on one side of the farm while pheasant hunters pounded away 300 yards from them. The deer never even looked up.
    " YOU GOTTA WANT IT!"

not deer but when shooting prairie dogs in sd have had speed goats come into a dog town and even lie down for a nap......

Any noises or smells that they become conditioned to, is normal and not associated with danger - that seems to be the key. Deer in urban areas ignore vehicle sounds, deer in isolated areas bolt when vehicles drive in. I hunt in a rural area that has several houses nearby, dogs barking, resident movement that is audible - car doors etc. Normal sounds and they do not alert. But as posted earlier, break a limb - they pay attention.
    My wife knows nothing about bows, but unfortunately - she can count...

Quote Originally Posted by brushdog View Post
    It can't help!
    x2, it can not help

Makes no difference around me. One of my farms borders a duck hunting club. Every year when the deer get to moving good, WWIII starts from the guys shooting Woodies on the river. Never noticed a difference in movement because of it.

I have a shooting range behind my house and it doesn't bother the deer at all, I guess they just get use to it.
    Life's Tough....God's Good....Pray Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryung View Post
    Any noises or smells that they become conditioned to, is normal and not associated with danger - that seems to be the key. Deer in urban areas ignore vehicle sounds, deer in isolated areas bolt when vehicles drive in. I hunt in a rural area that has several houses nearby, dogs barking, resident movement that is audible - car doors etc. Normal sounds and they do not alert. But as posted earlier, break a limb - they pay attention.
    This ^^^^^^. I used to manage a horse farm that adjoined the home property of a Winchester factory trap shooter... The deer had no choice but to get used to it !

Mathews, Sword, QAD, Ktech, Easton, Carter

twice in the past I've shot one doe in a herd of them and had 2 others that didn't react at all so I shot one of the others. Never seen that happen with bucks though. I was sitting in my stand once when the Air Force decided to run low altitude mock bombing runs and dog fights early in the morning. Not a deer to be seen for the rest of the morning but one hell of a show!

I don't think the shooting itself makes a difference. I live next to conservation ground that seems to only get traffic during rifle season. The deer are definitely changed by the addition of more people in the timber.

We used to hunt on game land in Butner NC, close to the army reserve artillery training field. The deer were used to it. But, I think folks that go out the day before season comes in to zero their rifle may spook them some.

I learned a valuable lesson last fall. I need to get any big buck I am after before Muzzle loader season opens. One of my great little spots had 4 different bucks moving through it even in the middle of the day. It is only 3 acres but it has two springs on it and plenty of bedding. They use it as a travel corridor. Two of these bucks were deff NC trophies. As soon as the guns started going off on adjoining properties these bucks went completely nocturnal. I still got them on camera but only after dark. Lesson learned...Boom, Booms alarm deer if they are not accustomed to it.
    Living like Christ is impossible for Man,
    Living as a Disciple,,, I can do that

I think deer are more tuned into the sound of a bullet coming towards them than just general gunfire. It's two distinctly different sounds.

The deer stand in my shooting range eating apples all day. They move into the woods while I shoot and watch while I shoot, then go right back to the apples as soon as I'm done. They are much more concerned by my dogs than my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcpony View Post
    I have seen deer out on the range just chilling while Marines were doing our rifle range at Stone Bay. Guess they can get used to it. I still don't think it helps though.
    Had the same experience at NSB Kings Bay Georgia. Many deer would graze right next to the range while live fire exercises/quals were going on, guess they just get used to it. However on my property in IL, I only use a gun during gun season, while the neighbors shoot up their area year round. I frequently get many daytime sightings and photos from trailcams......they rarely get any.

If it is a shooting range that is regularly used, the deer don't care about it.
    We have to chase deer away from the shooting range rather often before we can start the shooting.

Makes zero difference. Biggest buck I ever killed was between two hot duck marshes. They were pounding away that morning. I was close enough to them I could hear most of their conversations.

A creeping vehicle or one that hits the shoulder will booger them up way quicker. Unless your actually shooting at them.
    The absence of a giant G5 Montec kill thread says it all!

You can make a lot of Whisker Biscuits from a push broom.

Quote Originally Posted by mtswampfox View Post
    not deer but when shooting prairie dogs in sd have had speed goats come into a dog town and even lie down for a nap......
    Me too haha.

This is just one of those myths that is hard to actually prove either way. I agree with others that have said it depends on what the deer are used to and their typical environment. Personally, we have had deer come to a feeder behind our house where we hunt not more than 30 mins. after shooting a couple exploding tannerite targets in the front yard. You can always hear random gunfire whethers it's a single rifle boom or someone just plinking out where our property is. The deer are surely used to it and don't pay much attention to it. We bow hunt our property only but shoot guns all the time and see no real difference on weeks where we shoot guns vs. weeks where we refrain from shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast