Archery Talk Forum banner

GUIDO's WEB Tips and techniques thread ("THE GO-TO THREAD")

36K views 222 replies 44 participants last post by  ecfire1967 
#1 ·
Hey everyone; I'm the guy who started the "Climbing to 17+ ft. w/2 Muddy Sticks!!!" climbing technique thread last fall....

Anyways, now I have a Guido's Web too. (So I'm going to have to spend some time learning how to travel and hunt with this new tool for the upcoming season.)
I'm liking the possibility of "enhanced comfort" (back and legs) along with low/no movement while waiting for prey.

But I also have several questions and a lot to figure out (with little time to do it), so now I need some HELP PLEASE!!!!
I thought it might be appropriate to start a GUIDO's WEB TIPS AND TECHNIQUES THREAD where we can all learn and share what works..... (and what doesn't)

#2 ·
For starters.....

1.) Seems to me that since the Guido's Web takes the place of a pack, stowing gear is going to be an issue. What are you guys using for packing in gear? Shoulder duffle bag? GamePlan Gear "Sport and Stalk" worn sideways?
2.) I'd love to see some photos of the bridge setup for use with a Guido's web. (I have several rope hookups made by JSouthern.)
3.) And about that tree fork..... Seems way too big for archery, and I'm thinking about removing it completely. (Or at least using a much smaller & shorter one just to rest against tree, and possibly shaping the front of it like a "popsicle stick."
(The long fork looks like a problem on many different levels and I don't anticipate using it for anything more than a resting point. ~ It certainly won't be a brace while taking shots.)

Also, I know that Guido's is coming out with their own version of a bridge, but that's only going to provide ~10% (or so) pivoting capabilities. (I'm thinking I need at lest 3x that to shoot like I do out of the tree saddle.)

FWIW: I have (as of yet) to even put this thing on my back, let alone try it in a tree. (And I won't have much, if any time at all to mess with it prior to Labor-Day due to work obligations.)

Also: The web I have was very slightly used. I have the benefits of all the quieting accessories, along with the lightweight stuff (straps) already on the pack.
(Not sure exactly what that means yet, but the seller was pretty knowledgeable while sharing what he has already done with this web. Apparently he saved me a bunch of work with regards to enhancements & upgrades.)

My buddy bought a brand new one (from the factory) several months ago. So once Labor-Day gets here we'll be able to compare the two and note the enhancements/upgrades.

#6 ·
If it works as well as I hope it does, I'll transition much of my hunting from saddle to web but not all. (I typically devote about 500 hours a season to bow hunting, so I'll hopefully have some good "experience" to share by the end of this season.... Along with "three deer down" (by bow) hopefully.....

One of my biggest concerns is:

Being able to pivot (the bridge thing) for taking shots from angles similar to my saddles. (Saddle hunting IMO gives you the ultimate shot angle/lean for about 270 degrees around the tree.) I'm not willing to give that aspect up.

Also, anyone think this pack might work (worn with/under the web?): http://www.gameplangear.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=17&idcategory=11 ~You can wear this pack "sideways", so the only thing on your back (when worn under the web) is the strap.

I may sell one of my 3 saddles too. (2 leather RoadTrips & a mesh Ambush) My used (but in great shape) leather RoadTrips one (no fraying on pivot strap) is now a bit big for me. It's a large (not XL) which is very comfortable as far as saddles go anyways. (Perfect for a 225 lb. guy. ~ I've lost some weight from running etc., so it's now almost too big for me.)

#12 ·
@ bbrilmyer: Do you sling the Maxpedtiion pack pack under or over the web's pack straps?
(I would think that wearing it under, if possible makes the most sense from a tree climbing perspective anyways.)

Also, is that pack large enough for you? I wonder whether the next size up would be better: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/MONGO-S-TYPE-VERSIPACK-40p1344.htm
(On second thought, maybe wearing it over the web would be fine too. Just worried about that fork prong sticking up.)

Maxpedition makes some pretty rugged stuff. I've looked at their sling packs in the past.

#9 ·
I hunted exclusively out of a gw last season. For the strap on the tree im using a 5ft nylon runner with an aluminum caribiner. For the bridge I use a 21 inch nylon runner. I thought about cutting the leg straps off as I never wear them however found they sort of act as a kidney belt if attached around your waist for the walk in. For a pack the I found I like a small sling style pack. About rounding off the whale tail I wouldn't because it will be hard to hold in one spot even at rest. For the climb I stopped wearing the web at the end of the season and setup in two climbs because of needing warm clothes. I would pack everything into the sling pack and put that in the web with my bibs and layers walk to the tree just in pants and base layer top. When I got to the tree I would put on a linesmans belt and throw the pack over one shoulder and my sticks on the other. I would climb the tree setting my sticks when I got to the top I would put my strap on the tree and then climb down. While on the ground I would put on my bibs and and layers then put on the web climb up my sticks and hook in. This year im kicking around the idea of the cranford rope steps instead of lonewolf sticks. Although there are some fantastic things about web hunting im also kicking around the idea of going to a hang on stand. One of the biggest things is not being able to apply and remove layers the other big drawback is the two trip deal and I also hate pissing in a bottle.

#14 ·
Setting sticks with GW is noisy. Use a tree hopper belt as your regular belt. The D rings are used for linesman belt while ascending tree and setting sticks. Ditch the tree hopper linesmans belt and use something else for linemans belt.

I purchased a bridge and "runner" here and it works closer to saddle. I would recommend it.

The GW is a pack. Stuff your crap between it and bungee it together. Why add a pack.

Carry your sticks across your shoulder with a sling.

Get some core exercise in. Planking, crunches, obliques, back hyper extensions. You will need core strength for these types of stands.

For those who use a crossbow, get a three point sling. Easier to carry while hiking in and more ready to get a shot off if you see a deer.

I use 2 to 3 Stepp ladder steps for platform.

Lastly, GW is great to use to film your buddy hunting from a ladder stand. Climb up the ladder, attach GW and start filming.

#17 ·
the best thing I did was get in a tree in the forest behind my house before the season & practiced shooting into a target 20 feet below. I did that a couple times & if I hadn't done that I wouldn't have taken a deer the first time out on opening day. First, I discovered that 2 of the ways in which I planned on getting up the tree weren't going to work. I ended up using Stepp Ladders & that worked good.

So, get in a tree a couple times before hunting, as that will really give you an idea as to what you have gotten yourself into! It is different, way different.

#18 ·
You definitely HAVE to practice using them. I bought mine in July and I have been practicing with it every few days and I really do love it now. The first and second attempts at using it I was highly frustrated but kept working with it. Now I don't think I will go back to a conventional stand. I feel so much safer in the web!

#20 ·
This will be interesting. I went with the treesaddle and now the aero hunter from new tribes, mainly because the GW seemed to bulky to move around the tree and make shots, and more bulky for the run and gun style of hunting I do. It seems to be the ultimate in comfort though...

#22 ·
Comfort: That's why I added it to my "arsenal of soft stands." (my saddles) Bulky: Nope, not while in it. Only on the transport side of things. I have to work some things out in this department.

I think you will like it just fine if you are using the bridge set up. I have never even used the stock strap on mine. I ordered the stuff for the bridge when I bought the web. I have zero problems shooting from mine even with shots that are directly below or completely behind me. I have seen pictures of guys shooting to the right of the tree using a bridge but when I tried it I didn't feel solid enough. It's easier to pivot around the tree to the left for me. It's something I'll have to practice this year for sure
Finally began experimenting with the web today..... (with a bridge): Very similar shot capabilities to the harness, but way more comfortable for extended hunts. That means less motion (staying comfortable) which also means (hopefully) seeing more deer!

It is good (similar to saddle) with a bridge! Only complaints are all the straps. Too many BLACK straps. And also, the fork.... That freaking fork! A stubby one would be better, especially while climbing. I'm going to drill more mounting holes to move it back inward about 1/2 way. (and round the prong edges a lot while I'm at it) I don't need to be that far out on an 8 to 10 inch tree. It only gets in the way while going up, although most of this can be avoided by wearing the shoulder straps tight. On the way down, I just unhook the leg straps, and it hangs backwards / stays out of the way.

Of course I'm still going to have to work on stowing gear. Maybe I will need to invest in a Maxpedition "shoulder bag." No matter what I do, I'll need a different pack for this than I do for the saddle. I do believe I'll still be able to climb easily using my 2 sticks and aider setup..... Because I intend to hunt using both the saddle and web, I will have the pleasure of transferring gear from my sling pack to a shoulder bag. That's going to be a PITA.....

PS: Just like the saddle, your best shot position is standing, so the fork is only a spacer which keeps your legs off the tree.

#28 ·
Here are some mods I have done to mine.

Added a small camera case to the shoulder strap to hold my cell phone and other small items

Next take some extra male end of the buckles and a length of strap so you can turn the leg straps into a waist belt while carrying the web. This makes it very nice to carry!!

Here is how I pack my sticks in it. I use the two cinch straps in the web to hold the sticks and the seat gets folded up and I use another small buckle strap that came with the muddy sticks to go around the tree fork. This eliminates the need to use the buckles at the top of the shoulder straps and holds everything together nice and tight. The buckle strap is fed behind the webbing on the seat and stays there when the seat is folded down. you can also see the paracord handle I made for the top of the web in this pic.

To carry my tree hooks/pull rope/lights I use a small pouch and connect it to the webbing on the side of the seat. When I am sitting in the tree it hangs off to my right side in easy reach. When I pack the web I hook the pull cord I the pouch to my stick in the back of the web and this keeps the pouch in one spot tucked up into the folded seat

I also added extra holes in the bottom so I can adjust the length of the tree fork. I just did this today so I haven't tried it. I also cut the V part down some because I think it was really too big an makes it hard to climb!

#29 ·
I've hunted from my GW exclusively for the past 2 seasons and the 5 seasons prior to that with the saddle. I always wore knee pads with the saddle so I could keep my crotch off the tree when I was in a sitting position. The fork on the GW takes the place of the knee pads. I ascend with screw in steps almost every time. 90% of the time I don't even know what specific tree I'm going up until hunt time. I use a regular pack. With the GW I put it on over the GW and take it off at the base of the tree. (I have to get my bow rope and tree steps out anyhow), then I snap the leg straps and put the pack back on.

#33 ·
I cut the V part down a little and rounded it off then I moved the whole bar back by drilling the rivets out of the seat and drilling new holes. I installed rivnuts in the seat and mounted the fork with 10-32 screws. I will take pics this morning. I think I ended up moving it back about 2"

#36 ·
Has anyone tried to climb using one or two muddy sticks, besides BrokenLimbs? How feasible is it? I want to bring as little with me as possible.

#37 ·
That is my method. Two muddy sticks. Bottom one has the five step etrier like BrokenLimbs uses and the next one has a single web step I made. After getting to the top of the second stick I set my attachment rope and swing off to the left of the tree, slide the stick up and climb to the top. Takes me three moves to be 22-25' and about six minutes average. Its very easy to do just takes some practice! If I was going to pack in a long ways I would take only one stick.

#38 ·
Here is my modded fork. I actually used two existing holes, just slide the fork back and only use two bolts instead of the three rivets. The line drawn in the fork is the original position and you can see the edge of the seat where my finger is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.