Thread: 40# recurve hunting

40# recurve hunting

Hello
    I know everyone will say "shot placement" but what is realistic with hunting with a 40# with a draw length of 28 inches.
    What would be the best arrow setup as well a 380 or a 500 grain arrow.

I killed a doe once with a 43# longbow shooting a 495 grain laminated birch arrow. The arrow was through both sides but not a complete passthrough. It still expired with 80-100 yards. I like to keep my traditional arrows in the 10-12 gpp range.
    - Mike - 2013 Bowtech Assassin 62#@28.5" - 2013 Bowtech Experience 68#@28.5"
    "I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement,and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures. " - Fred Bear

For deer and black bear, 40# is very realistic. I'll be hunting with a 43# '65 Bear Kodiak this year with no hesitations whatsoever

The State minimum where I live is #40 so it is legal. On top of that 40# have provide a pretty decent punch.
    Living like Christ is impossible for Man,
    Living as a Disciple,,, I can do that

I'm gonna give it a shot with a 42# longbow this year. My arrows are @ 465gr. So if I get a shot, we can compare notes. Good luck.
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

I dont really know much about hunting. But think that a 500 grain or around that would work best. What about goats and pigs?

Last year I took a button buck at 20 yards with a 40# recurve shooting a 395gr arrow 177fps. Using a 2-blade Magnus Stinger, it went between the ribs, through the center of one lung, put a 1-inch cut into the top of the other lung, exited between the ribs on the other side and stuck out 8 inches on the other side.

Whichever weight arrow you use, I'd be interested in hearing the results!

No going hunting for a while yet. I was shocked at the speed you mentioned, at almost 10 gpp.
    Unless you have a longer draw length?

40lbs will do it. I like an arrow of at least 500 grains and scary sharp broad heads. I've had plenty of arrows pass thru shooting 50lbs and 550 grain arrows. I've had similar results with primitive bows at 50lbs and scary sharp 500 grain woodies. All of my experience is on deer at close range (inside 25 yards) and under 170lbs.
    14 Elite Energy 32
    09 Mathews Monster 6 27.5/70 297 FPS
    11 Anneewakee Addiction Longbow 57# @ 28"
    BBO 50# @ 26"

I shot my first Whitetail deer with a Bear Recurve 55 lb. I was 12 years old and could only draw about 18" so figure about 35-40 lb. Not sure about the weight of the arrows but they where Oxford Cedar with a Zwicki(sp) broadhead, The arrow went through the deer and into an oak. Very easy and short tracking.

You should be good
    65# Hoyt Katera-Rip Cord rest, Reflex Buckskin-Whisker Biscuit rest
    Jim Fletcher FlatHead Release, HAA-OL-5000 sight,
    Winners Choice String and Cables
    GT Pro Hunters , SlickTrick125

42 pounder here. Kills em just fine. I don't know what my arrows weigh, but they are heavy.

1st Deer in 1958 with 45#s at 35 yds, complete pass thru, went 30 yds, wood shaft guessing near 500 grns. I've shot Elk, Bear, Hogs, Whitetail with 55#s & several Deer with 45#s. I still shoot heavy, go with near 500 if possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always Thankful

I have an old early 60's Root Target Master that's 40lbs that I have thought about trying on a deer. Nice to here it's not to low of a poundage to hunt with. Its a smooth shooting bow but I have always been concerned that it may be to low of a poundage to hunt with.
    2012 Obsession Lethal Force
    2010 Bowtech D350
    B-Stinger Pro Hunter Stab
    Pro-V rest

A heavier arrow and a 2 blade COC Bh makes that 40# setup very efficient. You won't want to try breaking through elk shoulder blades with it but on a clean broadside shot in the rib cage- its money.
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

with out hesitation shoot the 500 gr.
    There are a lot of things in life I would have enjoyed... if only I would have known I would live through them.
    I shot my bow so much I lost my hearing
    "I hate chiggers."

I'm just hunting Virginia Whitetails.
    2012 Obsession Lethal Force
    2010 Bowtech D350
    B-Stinger Pro Hunter Stab
    Pro-V rest

It's most important to have an arrow that flies true to the target- no wobbling corkscrewing etc. This means that your arrows have to be tuned for your bow...get this done well, not "good enough" and pass through is much more likely.

one thing to concentrate on is release...your draw fingers can easily influence the flight of that arrow making for poor penetration. I know that I can even see a difference on my round foam target at 50 yards (shooting 38#). If I release correctly, nice laser like arrow flight- decent penetration....crap release- wobbly arrow flight with less penetration.

With heavier weight bows, release and arrow tune might not be as critical...with lower poundage, everything counts.

As to weight of arrow...closer to 500grn would be what I'd look at.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#, 30",ACC- 390's Davis sight, FITA ring,
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimateb...c;f=1;t=112539

This thread has 15 pages of kills with 40#-45# trad bows in it...
    Black Widow PSA
    Goldtip Traditionals
    Simmons Treesharks

Quote Originally Posted by archerytho View Post
    No going hunting for a while yet. I was shocked at the speed you mentioned, at almost 10 gpp.
    Unless you have a longer draw length?
    Good eye, yup, 30" draw length.

image.jpg

41lbs 500 grain 11/32 cedar Zwickey 2 blade 17 yards pass thru
    58" Toelke whip 41lbs, Easton Axis Traditional 600 spine, 205 grain Zwickey 2 blade on the death end. Retired Bowtech Guardian, could be called back to full duty.