Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY911 Food Plot Adventure

NY911 Food Plot Adventure

So I have always wanted to try a food plot, and have with "throw and grow" type blends with zero success..so this year I decided to try a real deal with my father in law's blessing (his property).

It is 30 acres, alot of swamp, with a large field that I have a few stands around...I always see deer here, but they are transient, nothing holds them..no food source so to speak.

I started by picking out two area for the plots by the stands. I used my lawn tractor to mow the tall grass down to create the footprints. That was pretty exciting..LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

After mowing a few times and getting it very short, we used Round Up to kill it off...this worked very well.
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

Today I went in with my 4 wheeler and a buddy's disc and turned some dirt..this was alot of fun and worked awesome.

And even though I know it is a bit late, I seeded it with some red and white clover seed I purchased from a seed store on ebay...this plot is mostly the red with some white mixed in.

Then I drove all over the ground to get soil contact. Might not be the best way, but the only way I had available to me today....it did what i set out to do...

It's about a quarter acre...there are several low hanging branches perfect for scrapes. There is a stand on the edge.

10488207_10203831704260245_8322456463810866067_n.jpg

Driving home, the rain started!

Hoping for the best!

10390493_10203831722500701_5777204423373376313_n.jpg

I will be planting another, larger plot in August of brassicas and clover near one of my favorite stands. I will also plant a "scrape tree" in that plot.

Looks good!!
    Hoyt/Athens

Thanks!

I admit, I did not do it "to the t" so to speak. I did not get the pH tested, and did not add lime...but we will see...honestly, i just had so much fun doing this, that i don't really care if it becomes super lush...any little bit will help here.

I like the story with pics keep us posted
    Obsession Knightmare / Bowtech Experience
    HHA Optimizer lite xl-5519
    QAD ultra rest HDX
    Black Eagle Deep Impacts w/ slick trick mags

Any lime you add now wouldn't do much. Lime needs app. 6 month to get into the soil, a little Quicker if you disc or till it in. Add lime now for spring and frost seed and fertilize in spring.This is when you will see your clover take off. Another thing you could try to use to seed coverage is a small cedar tree or some tree limbs drugged behind your atv. All in all it looks good, good luck. view my albums on my profile and see what my second year, 1/8 acre clover plot is producing.

Cedar tree is a great idea. I was considering getting a pallet to drag too...

At the suggestion of my cousin, who is a manager of a preserve and a mad scientist when it comes to food plot, I quick broadcast out some brassica seed on this plot...some rape and purple top turnips....just a bit...to mix in . And then it rained.

Nice.

Good writeup 911. Yes food plotting is fun and can be addictive. If you have results attracting and holding deer this fall your budget will take a beating buying food plot supplies and equipment. Let us know late fall how it worked out.
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

Very nice, and perfect timing!
    Eric Frein is a gutless coward

Indeed - not only have we gotten a good amount of rain since I planted, but the next few days are goiung to be sunny and cooler - in the 70's...GROW BABY GROW!

Awesome man! I have a few food plots of similar size. I can tell you that my only issue right now is overgrazing. Keep those trail cams out and keep fertilizing every time a big rain is approaching. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by PABUCKHUNTER View Post
    Awesome man! I have a few food plots of similar size. I can tell you that my only issue right now is overgrazing. Keep those trail cams out and keep fertilizing every time a big rain is approaching. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Good advice...

I already have plans to make them bigger next year..LOL

5 days into it....I stopped by and peeked while taking the kids fishing...I HAVE GROWTH! Little clover shoots popping up all over! Woot Woot!

You must have some nice dirt there. I tried a pull behind disc a few years ago and couldn't get it to work. It was bouncing off of the rocks!!!
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.

Looks nice man...I am in for this one and future updates!
    I shoot arrows with a bow

Team #7

Also getting some new bucks in the area;

Looking good NY911! You aren't the only one using the lawn mower for food plots,lol. What is that you used for weight on the disc? I have a disc kind of similar that I pulled behind a gator but still figuring out a good way to add weight to it.
    ~2011 Elite Hunter RT AP 25" DL, 52/53 lb, QAD HDX, CJ Mark I, Beman ICS Hunter 500s~
    ~2013 Elite Hunter Black Riser/Snow Camo Limbs 25.5" DL, 50lb-ish , VT Limbdriver Pro, Black Gold Widowmaker, GT Velocity XT 500s~
    ~Trails Cams: P32, P41, S40, SpyPoint IR5~

It's my buddy's disc and he has 6 25# weight lifting plates ratchet strapped to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast