Thread: Improving on Greatness

Improving on Greatness

Today I made a new set of strings for my Alien. I did this for a couple of reasons. The main reason is one of my preliminary designs for a cable slide chewed up my cables. The second reason was I wanted so of my draw weight back. While I was at it I decided to fatten up the cables to decrease noise and increase stability. I made the cables first and installed them. They are made from 32 strands of Fury. Twenty eight is the minimum and 32 the maximum. I also made them .25" shorter than the originals. The difference was amazing. The bow was quieter and faster. It also seemed more dead in my hand on the shot. Next I made a new string because, well they didn't match. For the string I stayed with my tried and true 28 strands. I did use a very thin serving where the string stop hits to save weight.

The string and the cables were done with 6 strands of black and the remainder is orange. This makes for an interesting striping.

I was not sure I could improve on how my Alien was shooting but I did. It feels smoother and is faster at the same time. The cable slide in the pics is a custom version I made. Since I made the rod a smaller diameter I also machined a new slide and I am very happy with this version. The cloth tape is just there ot cover the gloss of the resin I used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Living like Christ is impossible for Man,
    Living as a Disciple,,, I can do that

thanks for sharing.....
    MATHEWS ULTRA LIGHT

Looks sharp
    2013 Bear Encounter, Whisker Biscuit, Dead Nuts SoloShot
    2013 Mathews Monster MR8, QAD Ultra Rest, Axion Vue

Quote Originally Posted by OhWell View Post
    The cable slide in the pics is a custom version I made. Since I made the rod a smaller diameter I also machined a new slide and I am very happy with this version. The cloth tape is just there ot cover the gloss of the resin I used.
    Any chance you can explain how this improves anything?

Less friction? => quieter, smoother, faster?

Just curious......same with rollers...are they any better than a slide?
    Why stand out in a crowd? When you can be somewhere else...

You must respect yourself, before I can respect you...

Quote Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post
    Any chance you can explain how this improves anything?

Less friction? => quieter, smoother, faster?

Just curious......same with rollers...are they any better than a slide?
    This one reduces or eliminates cam lean due to the angle. The rod is smaller in diameter so less friction with the plastic slide. The plastic slide is also designed so it only pulls the cables enough to give me vane clearance, once again reducing torque and lean.

Oh, the roller cable guards on martin bows are horrible. This bow came with one.....

Great work as always.

This one reduces or eliminates cam lean due to the angle. The rod is smaller in diameter so less friction with the plastic slide. The plastic slide is also designed so it only pulls the cables enough to give me vane clearance, once again reducing torque and lean.

Oh, the roller cable guards on martin bows are horrible. This bow came with one.....
    Your right about that! That's why Martn offers the roller elimination kit.

Paul,

Like you, when I put on a bent rod, the.difference amazed me. I hid limb torque & cam lean issues....not anymore...

IMAG1538.jpg

IMAG1544.jpg

Also, these running the best material on earth....Fury!

You can notice slight lean at rest, but at full draw/brace, the cams are straight up - closest thing you will find to zero lean shoot through x system.
    ARCHERYSHACK STAFF
    Brownell Fury, BCY Trophy, & BCY X Strings
    PALMETTO STATE STABILIZERS (by Archeryshack-COMING SOON)
    www.archeryshackstrings.com

I too made a bent rod to reduce riser torque. I also fabricated a dual string stop, making a custom upper stop/quiver mount combo.
    Bow: 2014 Bear Agenda 6, 65-lb, 29-in, B-Stinger stab, Quick Disconnect
    Sights & Rest: DS Advantage, HHA Pro-5519, Limb Driver
    Arrows: GT Velocity XT300 (498gr@274fps, 22% FOC), GT BG 100+ (560gr@262fps, 18.6% FOC)
    Broadheads: 215gr Grizzly, 218gr Grizzly El Grande/Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
    I too made a bent rod to reduce riser torque. I also fabricated a dual string stop, making a custom upper stop/quiver mount combo.
    Nicely done that looks awesome.

alien nitro 70#

Ok i love this stuff. so i have to share some tinkering. i have always liked the idea of the forward assist roller guard on mathews bows, but never been real fond of the bows. love my martins. I noticed with my alien nitro, if i increase or decrease poundage i get a windage change with my sight pins due to the ccs pulling sideways on the cams. there is no cam lean at rest but im guessing i ust be getting a little at full draw. although it was a little hard to tune i could still eventually get bullet holes. but i cant quit tinkering.
    so i came across a rollerguard from a z7 extreme, a little reshaping and it fit perfect. now i did lose about 3-4lb of draw weight but that did not bother me because i usually shot the bow best at around 65lb anyway. now i have not croney it yet but i can tell you my pins got a little closer together and the draw is smoother. i also switch out the string stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by walex View Post
    Ok i love this stuff. so i have to share some tinkering. i have always liked the idea of the forward assist roller guard on mathews bows, but never been real fond of the bows. love my martins. I noticed with my alien nitro, if i increase or decrease poundage i get a windage change with my sight pins due to the ccs pulling sideways on the cams. there is no cam lean at rest but im guessing i ust be getting a little at full draw. although it was a little hard to tune i could still eventually get bullet holes. but i cant quit tinkering.
    so i came across a rollerguard from a z7 extreme, a little reshaping and it fit perfect. now i did lose about 3-4lb of draw weight but that did not bother me because i usually shot the bow best at around 65lb anyway. now i have not croney it yet but i can tell you my pins got a little closer together and the draw is smoother. i also switch out the string stop.
    Nicely done, I can get you those #'s back if you want them.....

How would i go about that?

How would i go about that?
    Shorter cables.....

How many twists is to many? By the way i like your caption at the bottom of your page, i am a Christian also.

How many twists is to many? By the way i like your caption at the bottom of your page, i am a Christian also.
    Thank You, the signature is there to remind me to make sure I am living what I believe. How people react to it is often an added bonus so thank you for your kind words.

In terms of adding twists you can go a long ways before it becomes a problem. However if your season is not more than a month away do not touch them. If you add enough twists to make a real difference they will need some time to settle. I can build you a set if you can get them installed.

Thank You, the signature is there to remind me to make sure I am living what I believe. How people react to it is often an added bonus so thank you for your kind words.

In terms of adding twists you can go a long ways before it becomes a problem. However if your season is not more than a month away do not touch them. If you add enough twists to make a real difference they will need some time to settle. I can build you a set if you can get them installed.
    I think i will leave it alone for now, but i would like some custom strings/cables after season

How can I buy the 'bent rod', can anybody help me?

Quote Originally Posted by ikhmalok View Post
    How can I buy the 'bent rod', can anybody help me?
    Bearfoot archery sells bent rods

Quote Originally Posted by GB3YO View Post
    Bearfoot archery sells bent rods
    Being a little Bent, you would know that......