Archery Talk Forum banner

Carbon Bows

5K views 87 replies 42 participants last post by  ridgehunter70 
#1 ·
It's my understanding that Hoyt's carbon riser is made in China, I am not knocking the bow because they are SWEET. I just prefer something made within our borders. High Country once made a carbon bow and Bowtech offers carbon. Are these the only Carbon options and where are they made?

#4 ·
your on a japan made computer, phone, tv... clothes made in vietnam, tiwan, mexico... vehicle made in all those those places, or the parts are from there... arrows, sight, half the archery stuff is made over seas... get rid of all the over seas stuff you own and you would have hardly nothing....

#15 ·
Do we really make things better? I would say not the best cars are made in japan (honda) and the best truck is made in japan (toyota) well the parts are any way. Aren't bowtechs made in the usa? I see how much hard work americans put into making those things. Fact is we the laziest country and most do not take pride in what they do.

#22 ·
Do you want a reliable carbon bow or one that is so so on if it will hold together or a block of wood feeling one in your hand????????????
IMHO Hoyt is the only one that has done a carbon bow correctly.
Truth be told the vast majority of carbon comes from China and the vast majority of anything made carbon comes from there.
If I'm going to spend that kind of money I want the best, that is Hoyt for a carbon bow hands down.

#23 ·
Im all for the good old USA, however you have to give credit when something is built great and that would be the Hoyt Carbon bows. I'm a Bowtech guy and the Bowtech Carbon bows can't touch the Hoyt Carbon's. Unfortunately that's just the way it is for now. Their are also a lot of other factors involved. Why would they pay $20.00 per hour to build it when they can pay $3.00 per hour overseas. That is just business, It's not fair but money trumps all.

#45 ·
Sure they exploit our high labor costs by going over seas but they normally pay better then minimum wage in that country, then the manufacturer's exploit americas ignorance by saying we are not manufacturing this item over seas we are building it in the USA. they are taking the components that are made overseas and simply assembling the items here in the USA to avoid a higher Tariff at customs. An unassembled car is taxed less then a assembled car coming over on a ship. you can have millions of 10 dollar parts on a ship but once they are assembled their value greatly appreciates so they beat the US import taxes by doing this. They save some money overseas with labor but when they pay the taxes on the items at the boarder it almost evens it out. what helps them greatly is if they have manufacturing plants overseas the overhead of their facilities is signigicantly lower, plus not nearly as much EPA regulation for their smoke stacks, ect..

#26 ·
Truth is the Hoyt is being made CHEAP. That is the reason it is being produced where it is. It does what all companies are doing it maximizes the profits. Can you even believe what we are willing to spend on it? It is sad. The product doesn't even offer anything. It is just a different way of constructing a riser but since we hang a big price tag on it that makes it better. Lay it down on your Yetti cooler and just know that you my friend always have the best. We should be ashamed of ourselves for being so foolish. Why in deed would you pay 20 dollars an hour for what you can get done for 3 dollars an hour then sell it like it has value.

#27 ·
Just a comment on stuff made outside of the country and imported. My first job out of school was at US Steel at a time when Japanese and German steel was being subsidized by their governments and dumped here in the US. I swore I would only buy American made products. Owned Pontiacs, Fords, and Chevys most of my life. Then I became a business man and saw the rules, regulation, and taxes imposed on businesses in my state and federally. IF your in business to make money, which, BTW, supports your employees, you have no choice but to manufacturer over seas. It's so bad right now that solid American companies are moving their headquarters to avoid oppressive taxes and regulation. Your problem isn't with companies that manufacture over seas to bring you a reasonably priced product. Your problem is with your federal and state governments that make it almost impossible to manufacture in this country. Change the tax code for businesses and let up on some of the regulations and you will see manufacturing come back to this country, and with it, GOOD jobs. It broke my heart when I decided to buy them, but I now own 2 Toyota Hybrids, which were assembled in America. I don't even look for made in America tags anymore, but my hats off to any company that can pull it off.

#31 ·
Thats what you read in his post? Thats like reading it and saying...what? you drive Hybrid?

The points he attempted to make are very true and at the same time equally sad. Most American business owners would rather keep things local and are proud Americans, they want to employ their neighbors and their friends. However they didn't become business owners to have our gov't drive them to join the ranks of the broke Americans. I am sure most of them would rather pay employees to make their stuff then pay the Gov't to redistribute their money (not the gov'ts money) to who the gov't wisely sees fit. Business can't do both and the Gov't has the IRS at their beckon call, and they are mean bas tards. Being a business owner is not easy and is not some thing a lot of people can do . The government just continues to make it more difficult. That is wrong. Sorry just my thoughts on this subject.

Carbon risers are light and strong. Made in China does not automatically equate to lesser quality. To think so is foolish. Most carbon made anythings are made in China I believe. American made carbon products can be found and at times are very good quality. I do not shoot Hoyt nor do I shoot Carbon risers but I have held the Hoyt bow and it is a good bow built well. Is it worth $1299, not to me but my local shop sells everyone they get in. They Bowtech Carbon and the Diamond carbon at the shop 35 miles away sell for like $549 and they can't keep them in stock either.

OP good luck finding what you want.

#30 ·
don't care where the product is made...If it's a quality item, I'll get it.

For example, my limbs and riser are made in Korea...great riser/limb combo. If it were made in China where quality laminated carbon products come from, I wouldn't care.

Do your research...find out where your arrows are made. There are some high end, very expensive arrows that come from china...guess who.

As to the Hoyt riser- it's made my Prince- no secret there.

#32 ·
"Made in America" tags mean very little. That just means a percentage (of assembly no less), and of that you might be amazed.

Now back to the "riser made in China" thing..... In order to fix the problems here in the use we aught to "tax the heck" out of ALL products that come here from "elsewhere", wherever that may be. ("Level the playing field" and put American workers "back to work.") The second part of the problem is people here in the US need to wake up and realize you have to work, as entitlement just doesn't (work.)

On a side note, a HUGE percentage of those big boxes (metal shipping containers) coming from overseas, sitting at the ports waiting for distribution here in the US contain unknown contents. (It's like 1 in 100 of these boxes are actually checked by port authority for contraband and other possibly dangerous contents.) To make this country "safe", each and every one should be checked at the shipper's expense...... (That might also help to "level the playing field.") ???

It just doesn't make sense that we have all the raw materials, technology & "out of work people", yet we're shipping things "both ways" and still can't be competitive. Take hardware (bolts & nuts) for example. Last I knew, most of the hardware was produced overseas, from scrap metal that makes a round trip.....

#33 ·
So..... this is only speculation....there has been so many of these threads about the Hoyt carbon riser being made in China but there is no proof.

#34 ·
Yes, I'm pretty sure this has been legitimized. (And to my knowledge, it certainly hasn't been refuted by anyone at Hoyt either.) The company that produces these "hybrid risers" is Italian (I believe) and they source production to a "facility" in China. In one sense, not such a big deal.....

#36 ·
I have a 2012 carbon element and the thing can shoot, but i would say for 1000 bucks it isnt the nicest looking bow I could've got. The paint is one of the worst I've seen on any bow plus it chips fairly easy. The draw cycle is a bit rough, but whatever its the best shooting bow I have. Did they fix any of issues on the 2014 bows?

#37 ·
The Hoyt carbon bows are essentially metal tubing dipped, right? (Based on cost etc., I just don't see many/any REAL benefits.)
But that's just my opinion. Maybe someday though.

#38 ·
I honestly don't see how having a carbon bow helps anything. What is it... 1LB lighter? What is the big deal?

I do believe Hoyt and now BowTech have invested quite a bit of $$$ in getting Carbon Bows developed - It wasn't easy I'm sure. Maybe the others will follow suit... eh?
Because if one company does it... everyone else has to follow suit... or lose out... right? They use the same reasoning with cutting corners & cost.

I tried to look on the web to see how carbon bows are actually made, and couldn't find anything. I don't know that BowTech carbons are made in USA or not, and I live right down the road from them. Seems like they would have had to expand their building to do it, and you sure can't tell from outside. I do know the aluminum risers are made in USA.

But after you put the stabs, quivers, sights, arrow rest... the difference is still essentially 1Lb.

Here is an interesting video on how BowTech bows are made, but it was before they came out with the carbon.
If you're interested in watching...skip to the 2 Min mark to get past the basic explanation of compound bows, and get to the interesting part.

Also note that the guy says they use 67% Dyneema and 33% Vectran in the strings - However that was for the 452X I believe, and know that they used BCY-X on my Experience, because I asked them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.