Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who thinks IBO should have a Known yardage class for men and women? And why?

Who thinks IBO should have a Known yardage class for men and women? And why?

Would this help expand the sport of archery? Would more ASA KNOWN shooters shoot IBO? And from a hunting perspective, do most bowhunters rely on the accuracy of a range finder?

I'd probably shoot known in IBO so I could learn the targets a bit and be working on judging the Rinehart's until I can buy them.

Most every time I get in my stand, I check the distance of trees or object around me with a range finder. I do this just in case one sleeps up on me and I don't have time to range it. I shoot ASA in Senior Hunter (Known and Unknown). This class seems to be a small class at most local shoots. But, the known yardage classes are full. Just my observation.

I would start going back to IBO events if there was a known division.
    IBO is a great organization and hopefully they will see that there are ALOT of known shooters out there.
    And alot of dot shooters that would also show up.
    Scott

NO EXCUSES

I've never shot an IBO shoot at any level. I prefer the ASA format, the speed limitation and (since it's introduction) the K45 class. If the IBO started a known yardage class, I would attend an IBO.
    FoggDogg
    >>----->

No no no

they should because known yardage classes are the largest where ever you shoot.

I think they should add a known distance class! Possibly even something different that the ASA doesn't have and try a Hunter Known and also have an Open Known
    Hoyt Ultra Elite Spiral X
    Hoyt Katera XL hunting
    X-Fire Strings

A better question would be why not? I can't wrap my head around not having a known class and why anyone would be against it? If it brings more participation and allows people who might not do it without a known class, why would you say no, no, no?!? It makes no sense! It literally doesn't hurt anyone to allow some the use of a rangefinder that either struggle with yardage for whatever reason or don't have the time or finances it takes to learn, but would love to be able to compete! From am orginizations stand point, it brings in more revenue, and that's just good business!

Yes they should. Practically every current hunter and future hunter owns or will own a range finder to hunt with. As a member of the IBO back in the 80's, we certainly frowned upon the range finders and prided ourselves in judging yardage. It is actually what helped launch the current ASA/IBO format. But times have changed and so have the archers/hunters. With more and more archers shooting multiple types of disciplines, all the organizations should be looking at all ways to increase attendance. After getting a chance to shoot in FITA, Field, Indoor, and 3D events over my career, I realize more and more that 3D is a game of yardage guessing. If I am right in guessing my yardage I have a roughly 4-5" circle of error and still score a ten. In the other disciplines that same 4-5" circle means you are dropping points. I still love 3D, but the IBO really need to get the "Dot" shooters out there!
    Athens Archery Staff Shooter
    Athens Judgement, Spot Hogg, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Vapor Trail, Carter, Gold Tip

No no no.......keep it old skool.......... (just taking the ) rebuttal side of the debate.....
    In God we Trust all others pay CASH

I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

Yes they should. I have been trying for a couple years to get them to start one
    It would be great for people that don't have the time to practice judging and for the field shooters
    The only why not that you ever hear is because 3d is supposed to be a hunting situation and people that think that way are very close minded. So many people use rangefinders for hunting plus why the stools ,long stabs,scopesand lenses aloud in IBO then

I dont believe the IBO wants to douchify the Organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Pincher View Post
    This dude's right. Why would anyone want to shoot at a target, foam, animal, or otherwise and know with absolute certainty how far away it is?
    Am I the only one hearing that loud GONGGGGG! in the background?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, it is a habit.

They have already accomplished this don't worry with no shoot times...anyone could win a IBO event and never leave their car and you call this a true national tournament ?

Quote Originally Posted by Topper1018 View Post
    This dude's right. Why would anyone want to shoot at a target, foam, animal, or otherwise and know with absolute certainty how far away it is?
    Am I the only one hearing that loud GONGGGGG! in the background?
    If you know the distance it will show really fast how bad you actually are and how many archers hide behind the excuse I misjudged the target when they miss and in reality they really can't shoot to start with... I tell you the distance and where to shoot the target at things get a little frustrating when you can't hit what you are aiming at and target panic sinks in...everyone should try a known distance round at a national tournament just once and then tell everyone how easy it is...last I checked this is 2014 not 1980...things progress and change except the IBO....RIP

Quote Originally Posted by cenochs View Post
    They have already accomplished this don't worry with no shoot times...anyone could win a IBO event and never leave their car and you call this a true national tournament ?
    C'mon now, just cause you got your butt whipped doesn't mean they cheated :-)

I would like it if they would start a known yardage division. I would love to shoot HC or AHC Known.
    Hoyt Alpha Elite
    Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    GoldTip XXX, UltraLight Pro 500

I would definitely shoot Known AHC if offered
    2012 Prime Centroid
    Qad,viper micro ,tru-ball ,Dead Center Archery,Black Eagle
    Laymans Gun Shop & Archery Pro Center Pro Staff
    Dead Center Archery Pro Staff

Nooo. who wants to shoot with over 1700 other archers.
    14 prime one
    12 prime centroid
    08xxl target
    shrewd bars &sights
    black eagle&firenock

By god buddy you must have a brilliant mind and be great person.......... Your words, ideas and thoughts are always so advanced and creative that the world would be a much better place if we could only follow your lead!

Pincher, you are absolutely amazing and I mean that sincerely! You may just be the most ignorant and disconnected man, IF that is what you are, to ever post on AT. THAT is amazing!
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME,[/COLOR] DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierredneck View Post
    Nooo. who wants to shoot with over 1700 other archers.
    I see what you did there!!!!

Of course, it would make the already slow IBO shoots even slower.....if more folks actually showed up.

Yes! Most bow hunters shoot deer at known yardages (as stated in this thread already). You could do this without interfering with the yardage judging aspect of the current classes.
    '09 Rytera Alien X/Extreme Sight/QAD HD/AEP Stab/TRU Ball Beast Wriststrap
    Target arrows: Easton Flatliner 500s - Hunting arrows: Easton FMJ 400s/Muzzy 3-Blade 100s

Quote Originally Posted by cenochs View Post
    It says Jackaroo It should say Jack ass
    Hoyt Bows
    Gold Tip
    Lancaster Archery Supply

Quote Originally Posted by reylamb View Post
    I see what you did there!!!!

Of course, it would make the already slow IBO shoots even slower.....if more folks actually showed up.
    That's pretty funny.
    14 prime one
    12 prime centroid
    08xxl target
    shrewd bars &sights
    black eagle&firenock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast