a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Tuning Problem

Super Tuning Problem

I am having a problem and wondering if anyone has a similar problem, and or suggestions of a fix.

I recently had my Evolution Super tuned by a very reputable local tuner. Including new strings and cables. My Evolution shot amazing after the tune. A week or so later the bow was shooting funny. I took it back to the tuner to see if it was out of tune. I had shot maybe 600-800 shots. It was out of tune. I also noticed a stray strand on one of cables.

PART_1405978648425_PART_1405978646394_.IMG_20140721_163601.jpg

This progressively got worse.
    PART_1406477013974_PART_1406477011312_.IMG_20140727_110223.jpg

PART_1406477013974_PART_1406477011312_.IMG_20140727_110223.jpg

My tuner spoke with the string maker and he remade the cable. The string maker made me bring my bow over to let him see it. He thought the peep had cut the string. My tuner, retuned the bow. When I got home I put chalk on the string to see if it showed any signs of contact. None as far as I could tell maybe 30 shots. New cable was put on Sunday. Shot the 30 shots on Monday.

I had an outdoor field league tonight. 14 targets 4 arrows per. 280 shots later...

String is cut again.

The string maker is saying my super tune is messing up the bow. My tuner is saying no way the peep is not in line with the cables. The string maker wants the tuner to put the string length back to stock. The Tuner shortened the cables a touch to bring the bow back into spec. It was a little long in the brace height. Tuner consulted with Dennis on best way to set the bow up.

I am kind of frustrated. I know others have had their bows super tuned. Has anyone else experience this before?

I would put it on a draw board and draw the bow. See if anything comes into contact with that area of the cables.
    Equal Opportunity Impaler
    2014 Obsession Phoenix 28.5" @65# Stormy Grey
    Black Eagle Zombie Slayers - Rage Xtreme - KTECH - TT Smackdown Pro - Trophy Ridge - True Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    I'm not lying sir.

I did that last night with the tuner. Standing over his shoulder. Nothing was out of place.

Tuned the bow to exact timing.

won't let me post any pics to show what it looks like now.

Get a new cable and shoot it 100 times without a peep. If it gets cut again, the peep isn't the problem.
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    Bear Motive 6
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

What would the peep have to do with a fraying cable?

What kinda of string silencers are you using?

Why not post pics. If he is right shouldn't make a difference and also maybe we can see something you are missing
    2014 Obsession Phoenix 60# @28
    Stormy Hardwoods Natural
    QAD HDX Rest Black
    K-Tech SH Natural KSB-1 String Stop
    K-Tech SH Natural MX7 Stabilizer

If the string is nicked in exactly the same place...twice, I wouldn't blame the string.

LC

can you post pics of the entire bow..does it have the saunders slide?
    JOHN'S CUSTOM ARCHERY LLC(Custom strings and tuning)
    PSE,Athens,New Breed ,Obsession,Elite,Xpedition dealer
    2014 Bows Arriving Daily
    whalens hooker dealer,tight spot quivers.
    PSE PRO STAFF

I think I have an image of what might be going on here if I am understanding things correctly. The damage is on the cable right behind the peep sight right? So I essence the peep is hitting the cable due to oscillation of the string on the shot?

This is interesting. I guess the question would be what was your BH and ATA with the "super tune"?. How long were the cables and how much were the factory specs changed? I wonder if the BH was decreased so much that it set the peep to close to the cable?

Maybe I am understanding things wrong and am way off though!! Just throwing things around in my head.
    Dirty North Archery
    2015 New Breed Professionals Staff
    2011 NBA GENETIX - 2013 NBA ECLIPSE
    2015 GENETIX on order - 2015 NBA new model on order
    "I'll keep my money and my guns(and my bows!), You keep the change"

I am away from the shop right now so I don't have the bow in front of me to get a visual, could be way off. But there is a curved cable slide and the cables do come in pretty tight to the riser.
    Dirty North Archery
    2015 New Breed Professionals Staff
    2011 NBA GENETIX - 2013 NBA ECLIPSE
    2015 GENETIX on order - 2015 NBA new model on order
    "I'll keep my money and my guns(and my bows!), You keep the change"

sorry i am trying to post more pics but for some reason I am getting an error when doing so. CHobbs you are correct. The cut is happening on the cable directly behind the peep. I just got off the phone with the tuner. He wants to spend some time with the bow. I am going to drop it off and the string maker and the tuner are going to work to figure out what is wrong. The tuner shortened the cable by 1/3 of an inch. Brace height and ATA are right on.

The string builder is blaming the bent cable guide bar. If that was the case we would all be having the same issue.

20140729_175133.jpg

Mine did not come with Saunders, I put one on. But right now it has the cable guide that came with the bow.

This is a new one in the books that I haven't heard of. Something deff isn't right. But trying to understand the bent cable guide bar. Just never in all the posts seen this one
    2014 Obsession Phoenix 60# @28
    Stormy Hardwoods Natural
    QAD HDX Rest Black
    K-Tech SH Natural KSB-1 String Stop
    K-Tech SH Natural MX7 Stabilizer

That sure looks like the hood on your peep is doing it. I just saw another thread where a guy was having the same problem with his hooded peep.
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    Bear Motive 6
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

It would seem that the hooded peep would be the culprit, but I have had that peep on for awhile and the previous strings never suffered the same way. It if is the hooded peep, that bites, that is actually a verifier. That was not cheap. Considering it is $25 piece of plastic.

Hmmm.... I see

That's a heavy peep

Yup, I'm tossing my vote in for the hooded peep being the culprit here. Can you shoot with a non-hooded peep for 100+ shots on new cable and see if any damage appears...I'd try to limit the changes to one variable at a time until you traced it to the root cause....(Ha, he said "root"...sorry old Beavis image popped into my head)...back to reg scheduled programming...
    2nd Chance Archery - Obsession Archery Dealership & 4 Phase Tuning Services
    Obsession Delta 6... 2015's Short and Sweet Death Dealers
    Obsession Evolution Phoenix and Sniper GT...2014's best hunting rigs
    Change or get left behind

I am dropping it off at the tuners tomorrow. He is going to recheck everything and make a new cable. I am defiantly going non hooded peep.

As you can see from the pics, the string does not look to be anywhere near the cable. I have just never seen or heard of this problem before.

Noticed the tuner did not add the speed nocks on your string,
    The speed nocks will reduce oscolation as well as add some speed,
    And your bow will be a little quieter.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Authorized Dealer:
    Merlin Archery, High Country Archery
    Quest Archery, Athens Archery
    Elite Archery, Ross Archery
    Obsession Bows,

Thanks ninnescaharcher,
    You are correct he did not speed nock the strings. I have not personally called Obsession, but I think i will today. I did not think of that. I am not sure why he did not speed nock the strings. I do not have a slow motion camera or I would like to see how the string is oscillating. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but it just seems too far away for the string to be hitting. There has to be some serious torque going on.

It is the hooded peep, I have had this problem myself. Specialty Archery makes a non hooded peep that takes the clarifier. I changed mine, and never had the problem again.
    Prostaff Black Eagle Arrows
    Prostaff Hogwire Custom Strings
    Shooting Staff Bohning Archery
    Staff Shooter Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers
    Staff Shooter Obsession Bows

Quote Originally Posted by ryan391 View Post
    Thanks ninnescaharcher,
    You are correct he did not speed nock the strings. I have not personally called Obsession, but I think i will today. I did not think of that. I am not sure why he did not speed nock the strings. I do not have a slow motion camera or I would like to see how the string is oscillating. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but it just seems too far away for the string to be hitting. There has to be some serious torque going on.

Here is a 2012 Sniper XS shot at 10,000 FPS. You can see the string goes forward of the cable. I am sure yours does too. And yes, the speed nocks need to be there for speed and stability.

Equal Opportunity Impaler
    2014 Obsession Phoenix 28.5" @65# Stormy Grey
    Black Eagle Zombie Slayers - Rage Xtreme - KTECH - TT Smackdown Pro - Trophy Ridge - True Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    I'm not lying sir.

I hope someone post a fix other than changing to a different peep as I have all my accessories in a box which includes a hooded peep (Brand new) with verifier waiting a on a Phoenix that Angela promised will ship out Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast