Thread: Let the Game begin

Cool Let the Game begin

String/cables
    stock vs custom

IMG_3464.jpg

I have now four scenarios in front of me to try...my goal is tweaking the cam timing/powerstroke but without killing the new 452x.

- stock cables w stock string (I already know what this can do, I have killed this material with all those my crazy tweaks)
    - stock cables w custom string (shortening ATA, I got there onse but the stock length was a limit, still interested for the full flavor)
    - custom cables with stock string (lengthening ATA, I can only imagine the feel must try it fully)
    - custom cables w custom strings (keeping ATA, this must have some special bouquet)

and all these combinations on each - medium and large cams...

lets the game begin
    OK Archery DST-38 Absolute, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, Cascade, Synunm

As for start, right in the middle of the game,
    shorter string with longer cables means shorter ATA, opposite as I expected....I may need even longer cables next time.
    43 twists on the 0.375" shorter string is too much, removed 8 full twists and the bumps between starnds disappeared,
    also removed 4 full twists from 0.4" longer cables and the look at them is way smoother.
    Seem to me the cam timing almost there but need a nocking points/d-loop first so I can draw the bow...midnight already.
    Tomorrow busy fixing my kayak trailer, family is all making ready for camping up North over this long weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bigHUN View Post
    As for start, right in the middle of the game,
    shorter string with longer cables means shorter ATA, opposite as I expected....I may need even longer cables next time.
    43 twists on the 0.375" shorter string is too much, removed 8 full twists and the bumps between starnds disappeared,
    also removed 4 full twists from 0.4" longer cables and the look at them is way smoother.
    Seem to me the cam timing almost there but need a nocking points/d-loop first so I can draw the bow...midnight already.
    Tomorrow busy fixing my kayak trailer, family is all making ready for camping up North over this long weekend.
    Sorry your statement doesn't make any sense at all. Shorter string and longer cables in approximately the same amount will give you very little, if any, change in ATA but will change draw length and poundage... both less than... cam timing will be under rotated. What is it that you are trying to prove?

Quote Originally Posted by EPLC View Post
    ...What is it that you are trying to prove?
    altering the cam timing = the powerstroke along the entire cam rotation feels totally different....
    you see this plateau ? with a shorter string how much the cam is changing the "feel" of the peek DW? btw. we don't worry about DL there are many ways to fix that.

DST38 DFC.JPG

so I know what that feels using shorter string, I just had to try for myself what will do a shorter string + longer cables...
    Last night I had only time to mount the string/cables on the bow, today busy preparing my kayaks and next 3 days we go family camping, so my test shooting (that is my brake in time) will have to wait...

I made this to my DST40, wondering if possible with DST38 as well?

DST-40 draw curve 02.JPG

Good stuff Big Hun

WR is the Bees Knees
    In There Like Swimwear
    #XS

Im back from the trip, great weather, the water ..... was phenomenal...
    about 30 friends at the group camp site, my wife stayed at home just my two boys with me ....
    I feel like need a spare liver next couple days

still detoxing

but this what I came up with my new WR custom string/cables:

DST38 custom lengths DFC.JPG

0.4" longer cables in combination with 0.375" shorter string makes the draw very smooth, look at the blue (shorter string only) and green (longer cables and shorter string) lines,
    the blue line climbs more aggressive - steeper to the peak DW with almost flat plateau, the green start climbing earlier but the smooth is wider and continuously climbing to the peak DW.
    The DW of 55.6 lbs feels really like a joke with holding on 24.2...perfect for my long range training

I am missing one variable as a result in your equation, the braceheight. Normally you get less BH and poundage when you use longer cables, you decrease the pre-tension of the limbs. On the opposite you have to twist out the string to compensate the lower BH, to get your desired DL (no look on loop-length here). I think the lower BH is the reason that the green line starts climbing earlier. Another factor will be, that the powerstroke increases with longer cables and string. With different effect according to the modules shape.

Interesting to see how any change on cable and string changes the character of the cam - well done!
    A lot of work - I suppose your day lasts 24 hours, and if this is not enough, you use the night too.
    Every landing you walk away, is a good landing.

Quote Originally Posted by northshorewolf View Post
    ...I suppose your day lasts 24 hours, and if this is not enough, you use the night too.
    it was my time to swap the strings/cables anyway....more the strings got lot of abuse...I feel they got inconsistent in a very hot day (or at least I need a good escape goat)
    I was looking for a more stable material so ordered all 452x, but then why not to try something new....(I had #57.7 and 26 lbs)
    I wanted my limb bolts tight all the way, and to get out a bit smoother feel from the medium cams...
    this is a reason only for playin....
    I got brace hight smaller, ATA smaller, peak DW smaller, holding weight a bit lower (I got #55.6 and 24 lbs), but the cams timing got changed big time, way smoother on mediums and "G mod", I can shoot 250-300 arrows like a joke now....
    I tune fast, in total I would go maybe 2-3 hours downtime and that is it, back to the game....