a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding weight

Holding weight

Absolute 38, 70% mods 14lb holding weight, 60% mods 20lb holding weight (very little valley), looking for 16-17lb holding weight, ? best way to achieve.
    Thanks.

What size mods are you shooting and what's your draw length and what position in The mod are you.

Here is a change I made to my bow and the effects of twisting and changing mod yet keeping same draw length.

First off my bow is not stock. I did a cam swap so my specs vary from factory. Ok archery ships bow to your exact specs that you ask for unlike most companies.

When I swapped cams I didn't have proper mods I needed a 27 3/4 draw length with med cams and I only had # 5 mods. So after twisting here were my specs for that setup

A to A.... 36 3/4"
    Shortest slot on mod position
    Draw length true 26 amo 27 3/4
    Draw weight 64#
    Holding weight 23ish pounds(my scale sucks)

Changed mods.....

Med cam longest slot #3 mod
    A to A 36 3/4
    Draw length 26 1/4 amo 28 (where it should be if in spec to chart)
    70# draw weight 22# holding weight(weight should be higher since I swapped cams)

Next to put in my specs. My cables were over twisted so this was easy
    I took exactly 10 twists out of each cable and checked timing and lean and adjusted as needed

A to A 37 1/8"
    Draw length true 26 amo 27 3/4"
    Draw weight 62# holding weight 20-21#.
    Stop by on Facebook. ..

"OK Archery and all things related"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/749275291825383/

Small cams, number 7/G mods in the middle hole of the set of three, 28 inch draw. ? Would going to 28 strands from the current 24 for the cables be an alternative method.

The letter (A, B, C, D, E,.....) DL modules you won't have big valley for holding, so far I know all will be 22-23 lbs and above, only way you can lower by limb bolts out.
    The numbered DL modules are all low letoff you can increase by twisting cables/string and measure and adjust the bow DL.
    I have the same 7 and G with medium cams, swap them around several times just to get a feel which I like better. For target shooting below 22 lbs I don't feel the confident strong hold, I prefer 23-24 and I can lighten the bow taking out most of the stabilizer weights....
    My new cables are 20 strands and enough cable stop, but I set my DL precise and I don't pull into the cable stops hard but to touch only.
    Take the #7 and take out twists from cables (decrease the DL) and put twists to string (decrease the DL), move the DL modules to other hole (increase the DL) will increase the holding weight. a nice portable press and a draw board combination makes this really easy.
    String-Cables adjustments.JPG
    OK Archery, CarboFast, Shibuya, Beiter, CX,

Thanks, I'll have a play and see how I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Rogers View Post
    Thanks, I'll have a play and see how I go.
    don't be afraid playing, more you will learn about endless possibilities with these bows.
    Also, whenever you change anything, you do one at a time and write down you log , test it, write down your feel about it....then you go to next....allways write it down what did you do so eventually you can get back to starting point...

Is there an easy adjustment to make the valley narrower or wider?
    Always OnTarget2!
    www.pinwheelsoftware.com
    Software For Archers (SFA)
    Tapes And Charts (TAC)
    Shaft Selector (SS)

Cams timing and powerstroke

Couple samples for you....I have no idea where I have it now but feels just priceless
    Somehow happened that I have two cams, large and mediums, also I have several DL modules, and to get a full flavor in the game I have some 2-3 sets of custom length cables/strings
    I can tear down the bow completely and back to the shooting lane within an hour time to prove the theory

DST38 custom lengths DFC.JPG
    DST38 DFC both 7-G.JPG
    DST38 DFC.JPG
    DST-40_38.JPG
    DST-40_38.JPG

#60 - The number mods you can pump up the holding weight about to 22-23 lbs, the letter mods will give you about 24 lbs you can not lower down without lowering-letting out the limbs screws.

If I'm not mistaken twisting cables/u twisting string lengths the valley

Some of the adjustments you are looking for can be made by simply setting the limb stops to hit a little before the cable stops on the mods.
    This will shorten the valley and drawlength as well as the letoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cncpro View Post
    Some of the adjustments you are looking for can be made by simply setting the limb stops to hit a little before the cable stops on the mods.
    This will shorten the valley and drawlength as well as the letoff.
    target shooters don't like limb stops but set the bow DL precisely to own DL, so you can feel a 1mm difference when the string touch the mods....off course must be trained for that feel....

Quote Originally Posted by bigHUN View Post
    target shooters don't like limb stops but set the bow DL precisely to own DL, so you can feel a 1mm difference when the string touch the mods....off course must be trained for that feel....
    Could you explain why please?

Quote Originally Posted by eventhorizon View Post
    Could you explain why please?
    Most of the target shooters prefer a softer back wall, higher holding weight and not to pull into the back side of the valley.
    As you can see you can hold your 15lbs or 18 lbs or 23 lbs in two points, before or beyond the valley:

holding weight.JPG

Shooting hundreds of arrows per session you rely on limb stops instead of the muscle memory? When fatigue comes to play you shall know do you pull harder or softer then your own Optimum DL...Hold on the slope and not on the stiff back wall...

Hey you crazy Canadian (just kidding my friend) some of us target shooters who shoot back tension love those stops...

But I do like the higher holding weight you speak of...

Quote Originally Posted by dave-madden View Post
    Hey you crazy Canadian (just kidding my friend) some of us target shooters who shoot back tension love those stops...

But I do like the higher holding weight you speak of...
    Hey you Northern people could hold the winter couple more months, I didn't swap my summer performance tires yet I had to step out from house today the rubber won't grip the asphalt...
    back tension is more a muscle then a hinge, two winters ago I spent several months with the hinge, I regret wasting my time, if I would invest this amount of time into my old release you would call me today .....MASTER

Hey you Northern people could hold the winter couple more months, I didn't swap my summer performance tires yet I had to step out from house today the rubber won't grip the asphalt...
    back tension is more a muscle then a hinge, two winters ago I spent several months with the hinge, I regret wasting my time, if I would invest this amount of time into my old release you would call me today .....MASTER
    Ha you keep that weather, we are enjoying unheard-of Temps around 5 degrees celsius. ..

I hear ya. I shoot many a button but with pulling hard against the stops I get a much cleaner release. It's actually better for me cause when I do get fatigued I am still against the wall but don't have to pull so hard against the cables. Just more consistency for me. But in all honesty I sometimes forget to put stops on and it doesn't feel much different with those 4 cable stops hitting the same time

Most of the target shooters prefer a softer back wall, higher holding weight and not to pull into the back side of the valley.
    As you can see you can hold your 15lbs or 18 lbs or 23 lbs in two points, before or beyond the valley:

holding weight.JPG

Shooting hundreds of arrows per session you rely on limb stops instead of the muscle memory? When fatigue comes to play you shall know do you pull harder or softer then your own Optimum DL...Hold on the slope and not on the stiff back wall...
    Isn't it exactly because of the two points at the valley ( one before and one after ) why one would use the limb stops? It gives you the choice of setting a " hard " stop exactly where you want it. And it will be repeatable even when fatigued and or under stress on the line.

Now, I do agree that ultimately you will want your muscle memory to feel the correct position. That takes a lot of repetitions; for that reason I think limb stops are a great training aid. You don't have to fiddle around trying to "feel" for the front of the valley or the back. Knowing that you are in the spot you want to be every time, gives you time to perfect other parts of your shot routine...

Great graphs by the way Mr. A!
    '13 DST40; Victory VAP V1
    '06 UltraElite;'09 VantageElite both with Spirals and Custom Shoot Through Cables; ProTours

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyonthefly View Post
    ...Great graphs by the way Mr. A!
    You can make graphs to
    Drab board and weight scale....
    draw the bow every 1/2" and write down the lbs from scale (I use digital) up to maybe 2" before the end, from that point draw every 1/4" and write down the lbs from the scale;
    got the values, get back to your PC and type in to a spreadsheet (eXcell or whichever you use, I like the free stuff OpenOffice) and generate the graph....
    could be entertaining too also a great learning curve how to move the powerstroke around..

Dave, was that add twists to cables and untwist string?

Was playing with removing just the top cable spreader to eliminate cable to cable contact. Obviously that changed cable length very slightly for the top set. The cams now hit exactly the same, so I must have had the top hitting just before the bottom cam. Feels like less of a valley but maybe it was just a mushy wall?

Really dislike depending on the limb stops. Had a failure of the screw that attaches the delrin stop to the cam (not on an OK product). It was a gradual fatigue failure. Happened during an indoor shoot. Couldn't figure out the very gradual vertical impact change until the screw reached the fail point..dropped about 5 or 6 points leading up to the fail. Will not shoot a cam system that depends on a limb stop for that reason.
    Always OnTarget2!
    www.pinwheelsoftware.com
    Tapes And Charts (TAC)
    Shaft Selector (SS)

Quote Originally Posted by PSI@Work View Post
    Dave, was that add twists to cables and untwist string?

Was playing with removing just the top cable spreader to eliminate cable to cable contact. Obviously that changed cable length very slightly for the top set. The cams now hit exactly the same, so I must have had the top hitting just before the bottom cam. Feels like less of a valley but maybe it was just a mushy wall?

Really dislike depending on the limb stops. Had a failure of the screw that attaches the delrin stop to the cam (not on an OK product). It was a gradual fatigue failure. Happened during an indoor shoot. Couldn't figure out the very gradual vertical impact change until the screw reached the fail point..dropped about 5 or 6 points leading up to the fail. Will not shoot a cam system that depends on a limb stop for that reason.

Lol just looked at my post. I mostly use my phone to post and sometimes it has a mind of its own. Yes that was twist cables and untwist string. I forget the ratio to keep draw length but what I do is record everything first and write down as I go then twist till I like the feel.

...Will not shoot a cam system that depends on a limb stop for that reason.
    As I sad in many of my posts...you adjust the bow DL to your own DL....for micro adjust there is the d-loop.....
    with this in mind you draw the bow to your natural DL, and with good practice (practice to pay attention for feel, you can feel when the mods touch the cable and you can feel how much pressure you put in) also the letter mods (D,C,E,G...) with 60% and below holding weight will put you in the perspective....
    Same as you would shoot with Olympic bow, what they have there? A clicker....do they draw 100% to that clicker? Only with lot of practice. Can they score well? Oh yes if you never saw theyr scores takes just minutes for a little research.... I have seen many compound target shooter going to Olympic bows frequently for a several months "reset", the mind and form gets easy off the line and need a reset or call it a re-train to get back to a line.
    The hard limb stops are for people doesn't want to put an extra effort, this is my best interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by dave-madden View Post
    Lol just looked at my post. I mostly use my phone to post and sometimes it has a mind of its own. Yes that was twist cables and untwist string. I forget the ratio to keep draw length but what I do is record everything first and write down as I go then twist till I like the feel.
    That sucks about the failure. My stops are simply an extension of my cable stops. I set all my timing and exact draw length then I put on my draw board to hold at full draw and set the stops. Basically having 6 points of contact vs 4

Was playing with removing just the top cable spreader to eliminate cable to cable contact.
    No sure what the motive for trying to reduce cable contact is.....but if its due to cable wear, I wouldn't worry about it. I have put 10's of thousands of shots through some strings (on DST40) with little to no wear on them at the crossover point. They will "fuzz" up at the crossover point (over time) but no worse than anywhere else on the string. Matter of fact it looked worse at other spots on my strings......maybe the rubbing is like burnishing???
    I know its counter intuitive .....but somehow the string material isn't effected by the contact with the other cable.
    Proud authorized dealer for Ok Archery bows and Carbofast stabilizers.
    DST40 and DST38 (Absolute), DS Advantage Sights and Rests, Carbofast Stabilizers, Stan Just X
    "Tuning can only be relevant if you have consistent form; and if you have consistent form , tuning then becomes irrelevant." Bernie

You can make graphs to
    Drab board and weight scale....
    draw the bow every 1/2" and write down the lbs from scale (I use digital) up to maybe 2" before the end, from that point draw every 1/4" and write down the lbs from the scale;
    got the values, get back to your PC and type in to a spreadsheet (eXcell or whichever you use, I like the free stuff OpenOffice) and generate the graph....
    could be entertaining too also a great learning curve how to move the powerstroke around..
    My scale sucks - not accurate enough. That's why I have not bothered to make one. Not really a good excuse, but it will have to do for now....
    '13 DST40; Victory VAP V1
    '06 UltraElite;'09 VantageElite both with Spirals and Custom Shoot Through Cables; ProTours

Quote Originally Posted by mgnasi View Post
    No sure what the motive for trying to reduce cable contact is.....but if its due to cable wear, I wouldn't worry about it.
    No not a wear issue. Friction == speed loss. I know it's minimal. Bow seems quieter without the contact, though.
    Always OnTarget2!
    www.pinwheelsoftware.com
    Tapes And Charts (TAC)
    Shaft Selector (SS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast