a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: DST Absolute = 60X

DST Absolute = 60X

So I finally got around to setting up my indoor bow last night. I spent a good 2hrs getting it where I wanted (side note: timing was a PIA to set for some reason) and had bare shafts flying perfect at 12yds in the basement.

I took it outside today and flung a few at 20yds. It was shooting well, so I figured I'd try scoring to see where it really was at. I've never been so nervous in my back yard before; the last end was gut wrenching.

Now let's see if I can repeat this under real pressure.

Setup:
    Medium cams/#8 mods - both stops hitting same time
    29.625" DL
    52# peak DW/16# holding
    37.375" ATA / 7.625" BH
    Nock in middle of axles

GT XXX pros @ 29"/165gr nibs/Aerovane III/Easton S nocks
    Hamskea with .010 wide blade in locked position

Congrats, great shooting! How did you approach the timing adjustment on the Absolute? I just got mine and haven't really had a chance to have a good look at it yet - hell, I don't even have a peep installed and I have no bow press, so...

You could do it without a press. It would just take forever. Have you seen the pics and videos of how to adjust a cable without a press on the DST?

I'd highly recommend building a draw board to do this properly. Otherwise, you'll need a second person to watch for which cam hits first as you draw the bow slowly.

Remember that since there's two cables per cam, each twist goes a long ways. For whatever reason, I got stuck in between half twists as if I needed a 1/4 twist. It drove me crazy until I started playing with adding a twist on one end and taking a half twist from the other. My other Absolute was a breeze to time, so I'm not sure why it was a pain this time.

Yeah, I have been able to tweak the cables by hand as per the videos, I just don't really like doing it as it twists the top cam a TON and I'm overprotective of my new toy =]

Looks like you are ready for competition :-) Go for it
    Please take note that because of the rising prices of the arrow manufacturers I can do no more warning shots !

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    So I finally got around to setting up my indoor bow last night. I spent a good 2hrs getting it where I wanted (side note: timing was a PIA to set for some reason) and had bare shafts flying perfect at 12yds in the basement.

I took it outside today and flung a few at 20yds. It was shooting well, so I figured I'd try scoring to see where it really was at. I've never been so nervous in my back yard before; the last end was gut wrenching.

Now let's see if I can repeat this under real pressure.

Setup:
    Medium cams/#8 mods - both stops hitting same time
    29.625" DL
    52# peak DW/16# holding
    37.375" ATA / 7.625" BH
    Nock in middle of axles

GT XXX pros @ 29"/165gr nibs/Aerovane III/Easton S nocks
    Hamskea with .010 wide blade in locked position
    Awesome shooting!! Yeah as good as these bow are sometimes they are still a pain in the ass to tune.. I had a problem getting mine where I wanted and actuall went back to square one and after looking closely figured the nock was getting pinched and casting arrows off. I went from about 4 inches out bareshaft to this at about 28 yards by just changing how I did my loop.

It's been fun reading your posts and seeing how much you have been improving with these bows!!
    Stop by on Facebook. ..

"OK Archery and all things related"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/749275291825383/

Quote Originally Posted by Goodking View Post
    Yeah, I have been able to tweak the cables by hand as per the videos, I just don't really like doing it as it twists the top cam a TON and I'm overprotective of my new toy =]
    Good king with the design of these bows it's ok to adjust cables to fine tune!!
    Stop by on Facebook. ..

"OK Archery and all things related"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/749275291825383/

Dave-Funny how the smallest of changes can produce the biggest results... Shooting a BS that well at 28yds will be one forgiving setup!

I can't get enough of these bows. My indoor bow has medium cams with 70% mods and I couldn't believe how soft the shot felt compared to my outdoor bow with small cams and 60%. The string angle that the mediums gave me seemed to slow my float quite a bit. I wish the strings weren't different lengths between cams so I could experiment without needing three sets of strings!

You could do it without a press. It would just take forever. Have you seen the pics and videos of how to adjust a cable without a press on the DST?

I'd highly recommend building a draw board to do this properly. Otherwise, you'll need a second person to watch for which cam hits first as you draw the bow slowly.

Remember that since there's two cables per cam, each twist goes a long ways. For whatever reason, I got stuck in between half twists as if I needed a 1/4 twist. It drove me crazy until I started playing with adding a twist on one end and taking a half twist from the other. My other Absolute was a breeze to time, so I'm not sure why it was a pain this time.
    Thicker cables make small adjustmust a process - I had a set of low count SX2 cables made to order - 12 to be exact - tuned to the dime - then had exact measurements transphered to 26 strand cables , low twist rate -
    Also when ordering cables , ask your builder to make extra large eyelets for ease of tuning -
    I have a few fist fulls of threads made by several diffrent builders - There is one man that stands out - BigHun recently ordered thru him and I am waiting on some feed back -
    If your interested hit me up and I can pass the info along

Dave-Funny how the smallest of changes can produce the biggest results... Shooting a BS that well at 28yds will be one forgiving setup!

I can't get enough of these bows. My indoor bow has medium cams with 70% mods and I couldn't believe how soft the shot felt compared to my outdoor bow with small cams and 60%. The string angle that the mediums gave me seemed to slow my float quite a bit. I wish the strings weren't different lengths between cams so I could experiment without needing three sets of strings!
    I will go out on a limb and say its more in the let off %ages - then the cam size
    I have med and larges that are rock solid and the feel on the hold is the same -
    neither set up has a valley --

NEd I have several used sets that I can send your way if your looking to experment - you will need to knot them up , you can still get the "feel "

Quote Originally Posted by dua lam pa View Post
    I will go out on a limb and say its more in the let off %ages - then the cam size
    I have med and larges that are rock solid and the feel on the hold is the same -
    neither set up has a valley --

NEd I have several used sets that I can send your way if your looking to experment - you will need to knot them up , you can still get the "feel "
    I shot a hunter round last night with the outdoor bow and 70% mods (small cams). Definitely less aggressive, but didn't have the same BUTTER feel that the indoor rig had. Scored well - 274/33x. It blows me away how this bow will still put the arrow in the white when I make a mistake at 58yds.

It's hard to put this into words, and its by no means a complaint, but the outdoor bow sits so friggin perfect in my hand that I swear I can feel the full osculation of the string when the shot breaks. I swear if my brain was fast enough I could count the number of 'twangs'. It's a really eerie feeling. On the indoor bow, I don't get that feeling at all. Just a smoothed out thud.

Now, I'll fully admit I have no idea what thread material is on my outdoor bow. Whatever n2bows had on there is what I'm shooting. They seem pretty thin, so I wonder if he had a lower strand count put on for speed (he shot 3D with it). I put on brand new BCY X in stock strand counts from Proline on my outdoor bow.