Thread: DST Absolute = 60X

DST Absolute = 60X

So I finally got around to setting up my indoor bow last night. I spent a good 2hrs getting it where I wanted (side note: timing was a PIA to set for some reason) and had bare shafts flying perfect at 12yds in the basement.

I took it outside today and flung a few at 20yds. It was shooting well, so I figured I'd try scoring to see where it really was at. I've never been so nervous in my back yard before; the last end was gut wrenching.

Now let's see if I can repeat this under real pressure.

Setup:
    Medium cams/#8 mods - both stops hitting same time
    29.625" DL
    52# peak DW/16# holding
    37.375" ATA / 7.625" BH
    Nock in middle of axles

GT XXX pros @ 29"/165gr nibs/Aerovane III/Easton S nocks
    Hamskea with .010 wide blade in locked position

Congrats, great shooting! How did you approach the timing adjustment on the Absolute? I just got mine and haven't really had a chance to have a good look at it yet - hell, I don't even have a peep installed and I have no bow press, so...

You could do it without a press. It would just take forever. Have you seen the pics and videos of how to adjust a cable without a press on the DST?

I'd highly recommend building a draw board to do this properly. Otherwise, you'll need a second person to watch for which cam hits first as you draw the bow slowly.

Remember that since there's two cables per cam, each twist goes a long ways. For whatever reason, I got stuck in between half twists as if I needed a 1/4 twist. It drove me crazy until I started playing with adding a twist on one end and taking a half twist from the other. My other Absolute was a breeze to time, so I'm not sure why it was a pain this time.

Yeah, I have been able to tweak the cables by hand as per the videos, I just don't really like doing it as it twists the top cam a TON and I'm overprotective of my new toy =]

Looks like you are ready for competition :-) Go for it
    Please take note that because of the rising prices of the arrow manufacturers I can do no more warning shots !

Quote Originally Posted by Ned250 View Post
    So I finally got around to setting up my indoor bow last night. I spent a good 2hrs getting it where I wanted (side note: timing was a PIA to set for some reason) and had bare shafts flying perfect at 12yds in the basement.

I took it outside today and flung a few at 20yds. It was shooting well, so I figured I'd try scoring to see where it really was at. I've never been so nervous in my back yard before; the last end was gut wrenching.

Now let's see if I can repeat this under real pressure.

Setup:
    Medium cams/#8 mods - both stops hitting same time
    29.625" DL
    52# peak DW/16# holding
    37.375" ATA / 7.625" BH
    Nock in middle of axles

GT XXX pros @ 29"/165gr nibs/Aerovane III/Easton S nocks
    Hamskea with .010 wide blade in locked position
    Awesome shooting!! Yeah as good as these bow are sometimes they are still a pain in the ass to tune.. I had a problem getting mine where I wanted and actuall went back to square one and after looking closely figured the nock was getting pinched and casting arrows off. I went from about 4 inches out bareshaft to this at about 28 yards by just changing how I did my loop.

It's been fun reading your posts and seeing how much you have been improving with these bows!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodking View Post
    Yeah, I have been able to tweak the cables by hand as per the videos, I just don't really like doing it as it twists the top cam a TON and I'm overprotective of my new toy =]
    Good king with the design of these bows it's ok to adjust cables to fine tune!!

Dave-Funny how the smallest of changes can produce the biggest results... Shooting a BS that well at 28yds will be one forgiving setup!

I can't get enough of these bows. My indoor bow has medium cams with 70% mods and I couldn't believe how soft the shot felt compared to my outdoor bow with small cams and 60%. The string angle that the mediums gave me seemed to slow my float quite a bit. I wish the strings weren't different lengths between cams so I could experiment without needing three sets of strings!

You could do it without a press. It would just take forever. Have you seen the pics and videos of how to adjust a cable without a press on the DST?

I'd highly recommend building a draw board to do this properly. Otherwise, you'll need a second person to watch for which cam hits first as you draw the bow slowly.

Remember that since there's two cables per cam, each twist goes a long ways. For whatever reason, I got stuck in between half twists as if I needed a 1/4 twist. It drove me crazy until I started playing with adding a twist on one end and taking a half twist from the other. My other Absolute was a breeze to time, so I'm not sure why it was a pain this time.
    Thicker cables make small adjustmust a process - I had a set of low count SX2 cables made to order - 12 to be exact - tuned to the dime - then had exact measurements transphered to 26 strand cables , low twist rate -
    Also when ordering cables , ask your builder to make extra large eyelets for ease of tuning -
    I have a few fist fulls of threads made by several diffrent builders - There is one man that stands out - BigHun recently ordered thru him and I am waiting on some feed back -
    If your interested hit me up and I can pass the info along

Dave-Funny how the smallest of changes can produce the biggest results... Shooting a BS that well at 28yds will be one forgiving setup!

I can't get enough of these bows. My indoor bow has medium cams with 70% mods and I couldn't believe how soft the shot felt compared to my outdoor bow with small cams and 60%. The string angle that the mediums gave me seemed to slow my float quite a bit. I wish the strings weren't different lengths between cams so I could experiment without needing three sets of strings!
    I will go out on a limb and say its more in the let off %ages - then the cam size
    I have med and larges that are rock solid and the feel on the hold is the same -
    neither set up has a valley --

NEd I have several used sets that I can send your way if your looking to experment - you will need to knot them up , you can still get the "feel "

Quote Originally Posted by dua lam pa View Post
    I will go out on a limb and say its more in the let off %ages - then the cam size
    I have med and larges that are rock solid and the feel on the hold is the same -
    neither set up has a valley --

NEd I have several used sets that I can send your way if your looking to experment - you will need to knot them up , you can still get the "feel "
    I shot a hunter round last night with the outdoor bow and 70% mods (small cams). Definitely less aggressive, but didn't have the same BUTTER feel that the indoor rig had. Scored well - 274/33x. It blows me away how this bow will still put the arrow in the white when I make a mistake at 58yds.

It's hard to put this into words, and its by no means a complaint, but the outdoor bow sits so friggin perfect in my hand that I swear I can feel the full osculation of the string when the shot breaks. I swear if my brain was fast enough I could count the number of 'twangs'. It's a really eerie feeling. On the indoor bow, I don't get that feeling at all. Just a smoothed out thud.

Now, I'll fully admit I have no idea what thread material is on my outdoor bow. Whatever n2bows had on there is what I'm shooting. They seem pretty thin, so I wonder if he had a lower strand count put on for speed (he shot 3D with it). I put on brand new BCY X in stock strand counts from Proline on my outdoor bow.