Archery Talk Forum banner

Recommend a Grunt Call

3K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  SirWilliam 
#1 ·
Please recommend a grunt call for me. I am 100% inexperienced and have never used one before so the simpler the better! I also need to find something that's reasonable to cheap in price.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hunter specialities..

Tru-talker, I like this call. I also have the easy grunter plus by Knight and Hale it works well also.
I have found for the vast majority of my deer hunting an immature buck grunt is goingto get you more overall action than one that sounds like a monster buck. Also bleats will get you alot of action. Get yourself some ratlin' atlers real or a bag for the times in the pre-rut when its windy and you can't get that buck to turn because he can't hear the grunt tube. They always hear the antlers.
As with all calling don't over due it. Use what you need but no more once they start coming let them come no more calling.
The can by Primos has also worked well for me.
Good luck
Joe Lorenti
Opener was thursday - have an Eight pt. and a seven point tagged out already. Eight is at the taxidermist.

#5 ·
i dont have a lot of experience with grunt calls, BUT while i the stand with one i have realized i HATE it. it makes a bunch of noise when you touch it or rub against it, i will be buying a rubber grunt call this season...

oh yea, currently i use a primos(not sure which one) with the plastic extension tube deal, thats what makes all of the noise.

#6 ·
Reply to subject

mattman said:
There are alot of choices out there but i use the H.S. True Talker and the Primos Rubber Neck.They both sound good and are really easy to use.
---------------
Hello
As a suggestion here.
I would also buy a Primos Can also.Work your grunt call and the can together.
Couple light grunts and turn the can over a couple times.
Also when you buy the Primos Can try a few of the cans,and pick out the loudest sounding can.They do vary.

Unk :angel:

#12 ·
I don't have any personal experience with the True Talker so I can't make a comment but I have used a bunch and the best of the best for me is the Quaker Boy Ridge Runner. It is guaranteed not to freeze up in cold conditions and it doesn't. You can adjust an o-ring and make every sound from fawn bleat to dominant buck. I have used this call in Canada in the winter and in the heat of summer in Delaware and it always performs. I also use it in conjunction with the big can by Primos and of course a rattle bag once mid October is here.
There are lots of choices, buy one of each!!

#13 ·
bow hunter plus

I love the bow hunter plus from a-way outdoors. I grunted in more than 20 deer with it last year. 17 were buck from the same tree. give it a try you will like it. plus it is totally hands free. good luck.

#14 ·
H.S.Truetalker buddy...

I lost my first one and went almost finatical...
Of course out of all of them I bought another one.
I wouldn't say to buy another,but atleast have this one with you for one because it does work.
I have a call by remington called a true tone that is a handsfree and got it because I heard it going off by a freind when hunting,I thought it was the real deal coming....so I got one of them to say for the sake of having a more smaller raspy bucktone to maybe get daddys attention,I am sure that any of them will do,but.
Ya just goota know when to talk,truly.

#21 ·
I keep three calls with me all the time

Primos doe call

My favorite
DG87 from Haydell- Been around for ever because it works.

I did get a tru talker and like its volumn also. Grunt calls work!

#26 ·
Keep trying it...

AJ008 said:
I Got a T.T. too but it hasn't worked to well for me :(

Anyone got any ideas not to jack this post or anything...
Obviously it works on whitetails,are you hunting a mix of muleys?
I would say try the remington flextone.
I got the hands free one but the regular one sounds fabulous.
Like I said,
don't just give up on this call,deer react different to calls and some only need just a little calling,some a question of where is that coming from.
Most overcall.
If you see the deer react to the call it doesn't mean he will come in right away,I have had some in need of a reaassurance with just one more toot,sometimes they will take there sweet time like they are in line at walmart to get there.
I would say most do take there time because they don't see the other deer....but if they heard it the first time,you have to read the situation.
I am almost positive they will come as long as there are the right circumstances.
You can't usually pull a buck away from the real deal,but some I know have,it was with a true talker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.