a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2015 ASA Schedule changes

Come on gize --- Orange Beach --- just think of the "perks" visiting the beach when you aren't shooting --- bikinis galore !!! --- will your geezer heart be able to handle alla that Carlos ???

For us, Foley would be 2hrs shorter drive than Cullman.

If a hurricane would hit, just add "point weight" to your arrows.

I for one can not see the business logic in having a tournament, especially the Classic, on the gulf coast in August. The only way this happens is if the ASA gets a bucket load of money from Foley. It would have to be a fairly substantial amount because Mike T. would basically be selling us out. "Us" being the ASA membership. I don't think he'll do it as there will be a substantial amount of grumbling and the IF a decent size storm (Tropical storm, hurricane) blows immediately before or during the tournament he'll have mud on his face. I think he's too smart to take such a large gamble when north Alabama to northern Kentucky and across Ga. guarantees a huge attendance.

Now moving the first shoot of the year to the south Ala. may make good sense. It would be within a 8-10 drive of a LOT more ASA members.

I guess much depends on how Mike T. views the ASA membership. In my opinion to have 3 tournaments on the very fringes of the ASA membership base would be pushing it. The ONLY benefit to having the Classic on the Gulf coast in August is if Foley is putting up much more money and in the long run that may not even be a benefit.

I am in central Va. and the only tournament within 8.5 hours is London, Ky so it's not like I don't currently have to drive a long ways.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME, BowMadness 34, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

You know gize, I often wondered why a shoot was never tried in Huntsville, Ga, or Chattanooga, TN areas. Both those spots would be fairly central.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    You know gize, I often wondered why a shoot was never tried in Huntsville, Ga, or Chattanooga, TN areas. Both those spots would be fairly central.
    It takes a city that will work with ASA to host the shoot. Hotels, resturaunts, and I think the biggest thing is a nice complex that can accomodate the ranges and practice areas.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    Come on gize --- Orange Beach --- just think of the "perks" visiting the beach when you aren't shooting --- bikinis galore !!! --- will your geezer heart be able to handle alla that Carlos ???

For us, Foley would be 2hrs shorter drive than Cullman.

If a hurricane would hit, just add "point weight" to your arrows.
    Just the thought of seeing you and some of the Geezer Brigade in bikinis brings on an attack of stomach distress, Elkie...where do you put your 4 finger release when you're wearin' that bikini Elkie??? best not answer that...

I can handle it provided my pace maker and defib are in workin' order.
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

Carlos, you must be becoming senile, or mixed up, or something --- it wouldn't be "us" wearin those bikinis --- it would be all those "younger hotties" catchin some rays --- gurlz, gurlz, gurlz with the geezers goin wild !!!

Poplar Plains, Ky. "Foot Hills of Appalachians "
    Elkie, at your age, you must be talking about those 70 year old "younger hotties" with blue hair, at the beach in their bikinis, soaking up the sun while their teeth are soaking in the blue cleanser. Some may even be wearing one of those little strings around their head, attached to their cat eye glasses, while others may even have a real cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Dorite View Post
    Elkie, at your age, you must be talking about those 70 year old "younger hotties" with blue hair, at the beach in their bikinis, soaking up the sun while their teeth are soaking in the blue cleanser. Some may even be wearing one of those little strings around their head, attached to their cat eye glasses, while others may even have a real cat.
    as usual the Dr. has got it right....

some geezers' eyesight really expands the term...."hottie"...and i do believe Elkie falls into that group. ever see them pop bottle lens in his specs?

We tried to get a shoot in Southeast Tennessee. After talking with Mike, I don't see an ASA shoot coming to this area. The host city must pay Mike @ ASA $10,000 up front to just come to the city. The city must then put up all the ASA staff in a hotel for the duration of the shoot week. On top of that, the host city is responsible for clearing the trails and shooting lanes for all the ranges needed for the event. The city must also pay for the port a - potty setup and maintenance, and I think they must provide the water for the drink stations too. This, as you could imagine, is quite a lot of expense and work for a city to host an ASA. Not only must the city take care of this stuff, but it must have ground in excess of 300 acres with ample parking for shooters, vendors, etc. It has to have a central location for the tournament village and a place for the shoot downs, etc. Oh and the city must fund any type of shuttle costs for shooters from parking areas to ranges, etc. Most all the foot work is prepared in advance by city employees and the ASA staff just rolls into town and sets up their stuff.

Thats a small sliver to what the economic impact is for the city location. ...the avg for that 4days is around 500-600K...so 50k is a normal fee for that return.....
    In God we Trust all others pay CASH

I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

The point is, there is a lot behind the scenes to get an ASA to come to a particular area. It's a lot more than just saying "hey we have the land to hold the shoot...come on down". The economical impact is not set in stone and is quite variable. A good example of this would be the Metropolis, Illinois shoot. The city of Metropolis gets the nod for being the host city, but a good chunk of the participants actually stay in Kentucky...across the river. If they are staying in motels in Kentucky...chances are, they are getting their gas, and finding places to eat, that are around their hotels. So actually, there is a big chunk of that money going to a neighboring state and a neighboring city outside of the host city. Metropolis is footing all the manpower and money to make the shoot possible, while the Paducah, KY area gleams a lot of the income.

One of the big problems is this:

Cities that have the manpower and money to invest in getting something like ASA to come to town...are usually going to be short on having ample size of land to hold the ranges, parking, etc.

And cities that have the good chunks of land, will probably not have the manpower/staff to do all the work needed...and probably wouldn't want to foot the bill.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be beneficial to have ASA come to town but it does greatly reduce the "prospective" towns. I know Mike T. had two locations he looked at for the Chattanooga area of Tennessee and the city was willing to do all the work and put the investment up. BUT...the two locations that the city had available that met the size requirements wasn't ASA compatible for whatever reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Terminator View Post
    We tried to get a shoot in Southeast Tennessee. After talking with Mike, I don't see an ASA shoot coming to this area. The host city must pay Mike @ ASA $10,000 up front to just come to the city. The city must then put up all the ASA staff in a hotel for the duration of the shoot week. On top of that, the host city is responsible for clearing the trails and shooting lanes for all the ranges needed for the event. The city must also pay for the port a - potty setup and maintenance, and I think they must provide the water for the drink stations too. This, as you could imagine, is quite a lot of expense and work for a city to host an ASA. Not only must the city take care of this stuff, but it must have ground in excess of 300 acres with ample parking for shooters, vendors, etc. It has to have a central location for the tournament village and a place for the shoot downs, etc. Oh and the city must fund any type of shuttle costs for shooters from parking areas to ranges, etc. Most all the foot work is prepared in advance by city employees and the ASA staff just rolls into town and sets up their stuff.
    That scenario would be in a perfect world that Mike and staff just roll into town and set up their stuff. Apparently you have not been on site on the Monday before the shoot.
    Why use the whole hand when one Finger will do.
    Have Bow....Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by bhtr3d View Post
    Thats a small sliver to what the economic impact is for the city location. ...the avg for that 4days is around 500-600K...so 50k is a normal fee for that return.....
    Tim- Texas A&M did a study and said that the economic impact on Paris was between 1-1.5 million.
    Why use the whole hand when one Finger will do.
    Have Bow....Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dean View Post
    Tim- Texas A&M did a study and said that the economic impact on Paris was between 1-1.5 million.
    Sounds good...think i'll start a pro am tour...eeeezzzz money, honey. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dean View Post
    I was using a generalization is all.....people only look at what it costs......they dont look at the full picture of a business transactions. .....unless they understand the whole concept of how its done

I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

Good grief people. Quit making such a big deal about the mention of cost or prices. That wasn't the point of my post. The point was...several have mentioned the Chattanooga area of TN as being a prospective site for a Pro/Am. And several of us got together and got the info on what was needed to put a shoot together here. I was just sharing the info that we found out. There probably wont be a shoot in this area simply due to the unavailable land space that meet the requirements. Even if the land WAS available, it would take a GREAT DEAL of work AND time to start from scratch and have the land cleared for the ranges needed to hold all of us shooters.

That is probably the biggest draw back to it IMO. The work involved in doing the site prep. Unless the host city hired outside of their normal work crew...the work wouldn't get done in most places. You figure there are 10+ competition ranges at a Pro/Am...that hold 20 targets each. Do the math on that. That means there are in excess of 200 shooting lanes that will have to be cleared out to 50 yards long. There is a LOT of physical labor that would go into prepping a site.

I was just sharing the info with what we found out for trying to get a shoot in this area. Don't shoot the messenger!

Thank you for trying Crow --- sure would have been nice if things could have worked out --- sad but true, an archery site is like realestate --- location, location, location !!! There is so much criteria that has to be met in order to pull off a national shoot.

I know in our area it is hard enough to find a location to just hold a local shoot, because most available property is leased out for hunting.

In terms of manpower required to prepare the site, our local sheriff allows minor offenders to work on community projects and this has allowed several local projects to move forward. I'm certain there would be some restrictions as to the kinds of tools issued to the prisoners however. Just saying.

I do think there's a certain amount of sentiment for moving the shoot sites, particularly where the local hotels engage in raising prices just because the pro ams are going to be held in there town. While Cullman is the poster child for this, I've run into it at Paris as well.

I agree about the motel issue, Paris has gotten just as bad as Cullmen about going up on rates, and some have even blocked from reserving online. Comfort Suites online will tell you they are unavailable, but if you call the hotel they have rooms, a room I booked for 75.00 a night the week before is now 125.00 a night, they have progressively gotten worse every year, it is already a 1500.00 dollar trip for me. You would think they would be grateful for the economic boost, but looks to me like they are getting greedy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dlife View Post
    I agree about the motel issue, Paris has gotten just as bad as Cullmen about going up on rates, and some have even blocked from reserving online. Comfort Suites online will tell you they are unavailable, but if you call the hotel they have rooms, a room I booked for 75.00 a night the week before is now 125.00 a night, they have progressively gotten worse every year, it is already a 1500.00 dollar trip for me. You would think they would be grateful for the economic boost, but looks to me like they are getting greedy as well.
    Yeah the logistics for most shooters on the east coast isn't worth the trip...good weekend to play golf near the house..

What's the average hotel prices at them ? Looking at hitting probably 4 next year. Just trying to get a general idea
    Elite Energy 35 72lbs and 29", Spot Hogg Hogg Father, QAD HDX, Doinker Unity, Scott Longhorn Hunter, Gold Tip XT Hunter 300, Rage Hypodermics

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Hard View Post
    What's the average hotel prices at them ? Looking at hitting probably 4 next year. Just trying to get a general idea
    80-100 thats factoring the highs with the lows...its in that ratio. ......generally m you can find lower.....but just depends on who..and where.....

Quote Originally Posted by bhtr3d View Post
    80-100 thats factoring the highs with the lows...its in that ratio. ......generally m you can find lower.....but just depends on who..and where.....
    Okay that's not that bad. Thanks
    Elite Energy 35 72lbs and 29", Spot Hogg Hogg Father, QAD HDX, Doinker Unity, Scott Longhorn Hunter, Gold Tip XT Hunter 300, Rage Hypodermics

Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Hard View Post
    Find a buddy and share expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosii View Post
    Find a buddy and share expenses.
    That's my goal. Just wasn't sure if they were 130 a night average or around 100.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast