Archery Talk Forum banner

So I am planting a food plot....

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  buckhunter1 
#1 ·
This fall. I have been real busy and my spring clover plot was taken over by weeds that are now 4 feet tall. So would I be better off moving first or spraying first before I disc? I was thinking spray weed killer first then mow, disc and re spray when the new weeds come up. Then be ready to plant around labor day here in Indiana. Am I on the right track?

I have never had my food plot this full of weeds. Also the unfortunate thing is the weeds are already tasseled. I know I am cutting it close on time to get my plot in with waiting for weed killer to do it's job. I will be planting a mostly clover, chicory, turnip mix when plot is ready to seed.

#2 ·
If you mow first, you'll have to wait for the weeds to regrow some before spraying. If your going to disc it up, why spray it? Unless you have perennial weeds like thistles, the tillage will kill them. If you spray with glyphosate, you only need to wait 3days-a week to till, or mow.

#3 ·
There maybe clover underneath? Mow it and see what is there. Then spray Clethodim and Butyrac 200 to kill the grasses and the broad leaf weeds. This won't kill the clover. If there is no clover then disc, lime if you haven't, redisc lightly and then broadcast clover. Let it go until next year and then spray with previously listed chemicals after it has some spring grow time. Mow it fairly tall before the weeds go to seed.

#7 ·
I sprayed last night and there was some clover but not enough to try and save. I sprayed heavy. I just wish my father wouldn't have knocked it all down with the ATV tires before I arrived. Do you think I can mow Sunday? I was told to wait 10-14 days before mowing. I bought some imperial clover from WI and I am starting over so I was thinking about tilling with my ATV groundhog max then letting whatever weeds make it grow back, then spraying one more time before planting around Labor Day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.