a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: First Food Plot...

First Food Plot...

The land owner where myself and my kids hunt allowed us to use a small grass area to put in a Minimal Till food plot. I wanted to disk it up and the land owner said no but he said ok to the minimal till idea. So last week mowed the area several times and noticed more than enough dead grass around, so I didnt think just doing a throw and grow plot would work.

So the boys and I found an old spike drag harrow from a buddy and went to work. Dragging for 1.5 hours and then raking all that up for another 2 hours +. Didnt have access to a pull type yard rake which would have been very nice. So after raking dead grass into piles we broadcast seeded our area. Drug once a gain lightly and then rolled.

From a distance it looks just like mowed grass but once upon the plot there was alot of dirt showing and once we drug and rolled most of the seed were covered. It rained this morning but not sure how much.

Hopefully the hard work paid off. Oh and both boys helped tremendously and proud of it.

photo(4).jpg

Good luck!
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

what did u plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerred44 View Post
    what did u plant
    Planted Plot shot and added some clover to it and a little more turnips.

Let's hope mother nature cooperated. Most brassicas and clovers only need to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by nutritionist View Post
    Let's hope mother nature cooperated. Most brassicas and clovers only need to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep into the ground.
    I'm more on the 1/8" side of it with how I had to do it. Got a couple of tenths of rain on it so far but hopefully well get more significant rain on it this weekend.