Archery Talk Forum banner

I wish Excalibur would do something about their triggers

6K views 100 replies 32 participants last post by  cspot 
#1 ·
I'm posting this here because I know it won't disappear and I know excal reads this forum. Everyone on here KNOWS how much I like Excalibur bows and I have the receipts to prove it lol Or you can just ask Wyvern lol But I have to rant about this because as a MULTIPLE bow buyer I'm fed up with buying a new bow and having to drop another $150 for a trigger.

Its really false advertisement to say they have 3lb triggers. The last few bows I've had I have not put a trigger scale on them but I've shot enough bows that I'm quite confident they are/were over 4lb...feel more like 6 but I'm being kind here...with way too much travel. There is no bigger disappointment in a bow than a crappy trigger. I've shot a new 405 at the local shop with the chrome plated trigger and it was nice....best excal trigger I've felt but my guess is they don't trust it to be shot often since its not offered in any of the other bows.

I hate to call manufacturers out....I don't enjoy doing it but dadgum if I've not had my fill of the crap triggers that keep getting sent out with these bows. They are horrendous...I've owned my share of bows and IMO (which isn't worth much) they set the standard for crappy. Great people and great minds at Excalibur and I'll continue buying their bows and believing in their quality and CS but like I said dadgum enough is enough. How about 2015 we see some decent triggers.....signed one faithful, ranting customer that just ordered another trigger tech

See less See more
#3 ·
if you put a 405 trigger in a lighter model Matrix the trigger pull will get lighter. dont know if its safe to do it but wondered if you could drop a stock 405 trigger in a 355 or 330 matrix. i had a few good stock ones though. my current Vortex and a Exocet i use to have had very good stock triggers.if you learn to love them they can be still accurate. i have an old school wooden Barnett Wildcat that has the worst trigger you can get but somehow i can get it to hit something HA!

#4 ·
Sounds like factory triggers in crossbows are like factory strings on vertical bows.

#6 ·
Rick they are the worst I've ever shot in a long line of bows

I would buy a factory 405 trigger but excal won't sell any extra parts and I don't know what they have done but the triggers I'm getting in the matrix bows and now in my Ibex SMF are horrendous. My Ibex is 175lb and its WORSE than the old school triggers we had just a few years ago. I suspect the reason the 405 trigger are not in every bow is they haven't been proven for thousands of shots. They know no one is going to shoot a 405 200 times a day.....again just my theory

Hunt, I can live with a lot of factory triggers but I can't in Excal. Like I said they are setting the standard for crappy right now

#9 ·
Ya there triggers aren't the greatest. Do have to say that my vortex triggers does not feel so bad. Better than my others I had. I don't shoot it as much as my compounds so I'd rather not spend the cash on a good trigger.
But you are right most feel awful. But in reality how many people out there will not even think twice of the trigger, which I'm sure Excal knows this. Just not cost effective for them.

#10 ·
I don't know if they would say or not but they had to change something....my old Ibex and Vortex had better triggers than what I'm getting now. The grittiness is not as bad but heavy with ample travel. They should team up with TT but I don't think they ever will at this point. If they can put the new 405 triggers in all the bows it would solve the problem. But I don't know if they will hold up.

#12 ·
If Excal would sell stocks separately, I would have bought one for the MOT. They could stop a lot of sawing by this option alone. I'm just a newb, but the 355 was not that bad. However, it's not even close to the trigger on my Ls390. I hope they have some changes this year, because I will buy one.

#13 ·
love the trigger tech wish they would build a mission trigger.

#14 ·
RT do you have any feelings in your finger LOL They are inconsistent at times but what I've had have been consistently BAD. I would be too ashamed to send the triggers I've had out the door.

Nature, TS is awesome and I wish you could get it in any bow.

buck, I know TT is working on some compound triggers and mission was on the list.

#15 ·
I have to agree. My two Matrix have TT installed. The stock 380 trigger wasn't terrible but it was a top of the line trigger. I also had 355 and it was terrible. I know the build them in house so their QC needs to improve. It's the one piece of the puzzle missing. The other I would add is every new Excal should have the anti-dry fire and string stoppers installed. I can deal with the manual safety.

#16 ·
Good post Pin, you are exactly right here, the factory Matrix trigger sucks! I installed a trigger tech on My 380 (like so many others) and I have been pleased but there is no excuse for a bow in this price range to have such a chitty trigger.....................................Hb

#18 ·
RT LOL yeah I don't have my thinking cap on again and thought you meant never pulled one out :)

I'd like the ADF and stoppers on them all too.

About all of us have to buy a new scope and new arrows and add to that trigger....which is a vital part for the bow to operate. I don't grumble about the scope and arrows because Wyvern will sell them to us bare bow (thank you Wyvvern) and if we couldn't a lot of companies send out bad scopes and arrows as well but we are still stuck with the stinky triggers.....worse than any I've shot. Again I love Excalibur bows but everyone has a their limit and those crappy triggers put over mine

#22 ·
I am very fond of Excalibur Crossbows but I agree their triggers are awful, and if we are throwing "stuff" out there they could improve the Matrix limb angle so it doesn't have that annoying metallic noise when fired. If a one man operation can get it done, surely Excalibur can figure it out.

#23 ·
I 'worked' the triggers on both a Phoenix and a Vortex, they turned out super. Just enough to polish the articulating surfaces - without changing the angels - and smooth casting marks. But I agree they should come that way stock.

#24 ·
I'll say this before I hit the sack....bad scopes.....bad arrows (actually the light inserts are the culprit) I somewhat understand that...lot of people are going to put the cheapest thing they can on a bow. But they make the triggers in-house....these guys are smart designers...smart marketers but in 30+yr they still can't improve on them. I don't enjoy throwing them under the bus but they can do much better....the question remains will they listen to their shooters.

Cossak I think thats all they really need is more polishing

#25 ·
I understand the crappy trigger thing. But In a way I don't. And I may be wrong here. But if Excalibur adds a trigger tech to there bows. It's going to come at a cost. Even if they take extra steps or remake there triggers. There not going to do it for free.
I'm pretty sure you can call Danny Miller or wayvern and come away with a very good trigger. And doesn't Danny rework the triggers.
I hear there very good after he does.
And you can call George of mainstreet and come away with one of a kind. If he's still doing it.

So there's choices and routes with Excalibur. What choice do you have with others?

As to kits here again there's choices with Excalibur. Depending on your dealer. Do you have choices with others?

Sure if Excalibur put together a matrix with a crossbones scope,trigger tech trigger, Camx arrows they have the best flat nocks and inserts and some grizztrick2's a 452x Flemish string. Home run!!!!!!!!

They could call it the RT2 yea I like the sound of that lol.

#26 ·
Pin I know you take a lot of good natured ribbing over buying and selling bows but in reality you do us all a good service by giving us real world reviews without being bias towards any one brand. That is all.

#27 ·
Thanks John!

I like the RT special lol I don't see it that way RT. Ten point (who gets flamed on here for being over priced) improved their triggers at no additional cost. The coated them with, I think, teflon. The bows that were the same models the previous year didn't change in price. All the triggers need are more polishing....I don't know if Danny does it anymore but I know someone else that does but our season is a month away and I'm short on shooting time. And any re-working of your trigger voids the warranty and you can't hide if they decided to check. In either case its not that hard for them to fix these triggers. They did it in the 405....now that bow is $80 more but they have always charged more the higher in speed you go. As for TT they will likely never use them....Excal turned them down but even if they did they could make it cheaper than buying it separate. Right now a single stage is $130 shipped....lets say dealer cost is $100 (I have no idea) and TT is sending them out a few at a time. You sign a contract for steady work with Excalibur and you can drop that price down to say $85. Excalibur has no additional expense installing the triggers but lets give them $15 more for improvement....you still come out cheaper than having to purchase a trigger not to mention the people that will mess up a trigger during installation (and I know it happens)

I find I can deal with most factory triggers...again I've not had any as bad as what Excalibur has sent out. My current Ibex actually feels like 6lb or more but I don't know what its actually pulling. Maybe I can get by the shop and test it before I switch the trigger out

Lets get down to the basics and make a list scope- junk, arrows- junk, trigger- junk, string- nothing to write home about so it won't hurt to change that out too. Now you turn a simple stick and string bow from an $850 bow into a $1300 bow. Now you have scorpyd type prices invested. My shadow (whom some like to hate on for their "high prices") all paid $999 and got all the extras I need. This is a complex bow vs a stick and string.

#28 ·
Again guys I love Excalibur bows and always will but we have to let our voice be heard and thats why I posted this. We have to replace about everything on the bow how about lets have some decent triggers for a change in 2015. I know its like water off a ducks back but I'm ranting anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.