Thread: Plot question

Plot question

I have a minimal amount of plot experience. I have 10.5 acres we're building a house on and lots of it in cedars bordering a creek and crops. There is approx 1/8th acre section that is cleared I'm wanting to plant on. I've mowed, let it grow back somewhat, and now sprayed with 50% glyphosate. I mixed at about 2oz per gallon. This kills on contact so shouldn't harm soil and future planting right? I'm hoping to burn after it dies and will harrow and plant. I've used arrest at the farm on clover plots but never a roundup type killer. I'm hoping to plant soon as it's been wet and I'd like to have some growth by late sept early oct.

Yes glyphosate is a contact only herbicide. I has no residual at all. My mixture when it comes to hand sprayers or atv sprayers is about 12 oz or a beer can size amount into every 2 gallons. I know it is over kill but would rather have things dead the first time. I would by straight glyphosate from a farm supply store instead of the pre-mix stuff from a home improvement store or a Wal-mart.

I probably should have used more. I actually hit this with arrest over a month ago, but it didn't kill everything. Sounds like I'm good planting after burning and harrowing. I'd eventually like an all clover plot but would like a mix for this winter as it will take a while to establish clover. What is a good mix to compliment clover?

Yea I would use my suggestion above and re-spray the area. Then let it go for about 5-7 days and stuff should be dead. Then burn it and use a harrow.

I am planting my first plot this season but had some great info from some guys that have been hunting most of their lives and putting in quite a few plots themselves. Here is the link to my post http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2300487

As I said in my post I couldnt kill the grass because the landowner didnt want me to. So I used a spiked harrow and pretty much thatched the area and then raked and seeded. I used a mixture of Shot-Plot, clover, and then added some more turnips to the mix. I chose all that because you only need the seed at a depth of 1/8". I planted before a rain and I am hoping all is well. Only been in for a week so will check next weekend.

Good luck.