Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost ready to throw my Katera XL in the trash......

i think tiller tuning would be a very last resort... i know alot have done it but on parallel bows its not as effective. i think new strings and a good setup will get you tuned....

biggest key is if bottom cam isnt too bad of lean, maybe weak limb, not sure if youve ever checked that
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Quote Originally Posted by dwagoner View Post
    i think tiller tuning would be a very last resort... i know alot have done it but on parallel bows its not as effective. i think new strings and a good setup will get you tuned....

biggest key is if bottom cam isnt too bad of lean, maybe weak limb, not sure if youve ever checked that
    I have not.

what is the most effective method to check for cam lean (both top and bottom) on a Hoyt?

Is bottom cam lean correctable?

ETA:My strings should arrive within 48 hours

bottom you just need to check to make sure its not excessive, you can lay an arrow along side of cam, reference the string as a straight line... sometimes people have had to swap limbs around. top you adjust from the Y in the buss cable so that controls top cam....
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

While I hope one of the previously offered suggestions works, it may be that your Katera's riser is twisted. I bought a used Kobalt that wouldn't tune no matter what I tried. Only when I laid a steel 36" rule along each side as the bow was clamped in a bow vise did I notice a 1/8" twist measured between upper and lower limb pockets. The bow was pristine, no signs of trauma. I'm sure it came out of the factory that way. Fortunately for me, the AT seller took the bow back, but if it's twisted - it will be un-tunable.

And all cam lean, whether top or bottom, doesn't mean the bow won't be accurate. Just look for excessive lean. Arrow across the cam and to the nock point, 1/4" isn't bad..... Changing shims will sometimes help correct cam lean.

And getting carried away, you may only need those new strings. Shoot the thing. If the bow drills at all yardages it rips paper a "mile" and I wouldn't care.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

I just made my first set of strings for my kat last summer. First set ever made.
    Anyway I made them to exact tune chart info and it was super easy to get it in greAt tune.
    I set it up exact. Shot it about 50 shots for fun and one or two twists and it was perfect!!!
    Get a good custom set and life will be much easier to deal with. Lol

Dude, this is funny no offense, you are asking elementary tuning question to want to throw your bow in the trash because you cant get it tuned.
    top cam needs to be parallel with the string at full draw. Cams need to be in the right starting location, sync, bottom cam needs to hit a hair after the top. Nocking point needs to be at 90* from bow string through rest a little above the bottom of the burger hole. Set rest so that an arrow is parallel from an arrow pressed against the riser. 13/16ths to 3/4s. Shoot through paper with the arrow level to the ground. 3yds 9yds 12yds.
    your grip makes a difference big time. All Bows tune unless limbs are swapped or cams are bent or something very unlikely.

Elite Pure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12