Thread: This Seasons Food Plot

This Seasons Food Plot

Going to be planting this plot in about 2 weeks, 1 acre plot: Winter Rye, Winter Peas and Turnips.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for this mix? I've always just done wheat and turnips on my plots but this year I wanted to do a little something different with one of them so I'm going with the rye, peas and turnips; going to fertilize with triple 13.

What rates for each seed are you planning? When is your first frost?
    And still....

I would plant it in strips and add some other plants than what you always plant .maybe some strips of chicory and clover and then some strips of rape and oats .the more variety the better.since I have been doing this my success rate has soared .im surrounded by hunting leases and last season I took four mature bucks and thought everybody had a good season.found out after the season I was the only one to get a mature buck.i have not told them about my plots but they told me there food plots are oats and wheat only.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobowhunter11 View Post
    Going to be planting this plot in about 2 weeks, 1 acre plot: Winter Rye, Winter Peas and Turnips.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for this mix? I've always just done wheat and turnips on my plots but this year I wanted to do a little something different with one of them so I'm going with the rye, peas and turnips; going to fertilize with triple 13.
    ONE PIN IS ALL YOU NEED, IF you have warp speed. Founder of Team OVERKILL.Shooting super warp speed bows built by Breathn .............................. ....Heavy draw weight ,franken head shooting deer slayer........................ ...Moderation is for cowards ."............................ .....................Team 4. IN 4 THE WIN

I was going to plant around 100 lbs of rye, 25 lbs of peas and 3-5 lbs of turnips. Onepin thanks for the advice, I'm going to pick up some seed today and will be planting this Monday. Definitely think I will use a little more variety, include some oats and clover into the mix, maybe even a little chicory if the local co-op has any.

Peas come in a 50# bag, I'd use them all if you have it, they are a great early season draw. I'd probably reduce the rye- it comes in a 56# bag, that would be plenty for your mix especially if adding other seeds to your mix. Be prepared to cut that rye in the spring before it takes off otherwise you'll end up with a mess. With the turnips, you'll get bigger bulbs with a lower seed rate. Some guys want more smaller bulbs with a higher rate. Either way you're in the right range. Deer may not touch them at all though until after the season but I'd still plant them. I'd probably leave out the clover, these other plants grow so fast they'll mostly crowd it out, unless you want something to be covering the ground in the spring in addition to the rye during turkey season.
    And still....

Quote Originally Posted by Coldone View Post
    Peas come in a 50# bag, I'd use them all if you have it, they are a great early season draw. I'd probably reduce the rye- it comes in a 56# bag, that would be plenty for your mix especially if adding other seeds to your mix. Be prepared to cut that rye in the spring before it takes off otherwise you'll end up with a mess. With the turnips, you'll get bigger bulbs with a lower seed rate. Some guys want more smaller bulbs with a higher rate. Either way you're in the right range. Deer may not touch them at all though until after the season but I'd still plant them. I'd probably leave out the clover, these other plants grow so fast they'll mostly crowd it out, unless you want something to be covering the ground in the spring in addition to the rye during turkey season.
    Coldone, how does 50 lbs peas, 50 lbs rye, 50 lbs oats and 3 lbs turnips sound as a mix?

when one puts turnips, radish, brassicas, clovers etc etc you only want about a 1/2 rate of the fall grains as they wont compete well with the grains. A half rate of around 50 lbs max is usually the recommendation. Know your species and planting dates. Turnips need 60 days of growth to produce bulbs.

Decide if you want it to be a perennial plot or annual plot. If annual plot, don't put perennial clovers in it, as they establish slow and would not produce the tonnage to justify the cost. If you want to include clovers, use annual fast growing clovers like berseem.

I prefer triticale over oats, wheat and rye and will have the results to prove my point. I have 7 varieties of oats, fall rye, forage winter wheat, and winter triticale in test plots in minnesota and wisconsin. The triticale i love, the deer love and is the best nutrition option. Wait til people see pics. One of the poorest producers so far is the "name brand buck oats".

Quote Originally Posted by mobowhunter11 View Post
    Coldone, how does 50 lbs peas, 50 lbs rye, 50 lbs oats and 3 lbs turnips sound as a mix?
    I think you'll be happy with that.
    And still....

Add some buckwheat for some quick cover that protects the other young seed. It grows fast and deer love it. It will die after first frost
    NRA Life Member

buckwheat is super fast growing and competitive and doesnt tolerate cold very well. It is a smother crop and doesnt work well as a companion crop.......