a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Small plot...how to keep them out?

Small plot...how to keep them out?

I just tilled a small 16×12 yards,

Fence on the side where the picture is taken, barn on the opposite and open pasture the other. Local feed n seed joint has a fall mid that has good reputation reviews, but I hear the deer will lay waste to it if they get to it early. I've heard fishing line, Pie tins any other suggestions are welcome.
    Be sure you're right, and then go ahead. - David Crockett

A guy told me that he runs clothesline around the perimeter. He then ties dryer sheets to it. Walk into dollar general and buy the cheapest large bottle of cologne they have. Refresh the dryer sheet every week or two with cologne.

Some type wire or fishing line may help, but make sure the mix has seed that is browse tolerant and will keep growing even when they hammer it. Grains like Cereal Rye, Oats, and Wheat will continue to grow even as they get browsed. Peas will likely get destroyed fast so that may not be worth it. Red clover grows fast and is more browse tolerant than most and also Crimson as well.

What's the mix contain?
    CRACKERIZED MONSTER MR6
    VAP V1 300 w/ FOBs @ 490 grains
    GT Velocity Pro 300 w/ 2" Blazers @ 392 grains
    Grim Reaper Razortip WTS, Rage Hypos, and QAD Exodus Swept
    29"DL/73# @ 300FPS....98KE....15%FOC (VAPs)

Electric fencing.

The mix I planned on purchasing, was 102 wheat, Bob oats, Australian winter peas, crimson clover, ladino clover, Athenian rape, Daikon radish.
    There are two other mixes they make wheat, oats, elbon rye, crimson clover and Daikon radish, the third is their 'trophy mix' which is the same as the mix I planned on getting but removes the winter peas and adds rye, and chickory.

I could swap over to the 'trophy mix' as it's got rye as opposed to the peas. If I can get this stuff to get a good foothold, any thoughts about over-seeding with more rye?
    Be sure you're right, and then go ahead. - David Crockett

I personally like the 2nd mix you mentioned with all 3 grains a clover and radish. That's a nice mix. Never hurts to add more rye later if you have bare spots. It'll grow on concrete! Just remember an acre is 43,560sq ft and I believe your spot is around 1700. So just do the math and figure out how much of the bag you need. I'm guessing its a 40-50lb bag. So you wouldn't need much of it. That's why if it were me I'd try to buy the seed separately by the pound if your seed store has them. Better to plant grains, then drag or cultipack, and then top seed small seed (clover, radish, etc) and pack again or leave on top if rain in near forecast. What you run into with a mix is the small seed may fall out of your spreader at a much faster rate than the grains and not be uniform and also they need to be planted at different depths so that wouldn't be the same either if in a mixed bag. Just do what you feel and I bet it turns out fine. It's all trial and error anyways. Have fun doing it!
    CRACKERIZED MONSTER MR6
    VAP V1 300 w/ FOBs @ 490 grains
    GT Velocity Pro 300 w/ 2" Blazers @ 392 grains
    Grim Reaper Razortip WTS, Rage Hypos, and QAD Exodus Swept
    29"DL/73# @ 300FPS....98KE....15%FOC (VAPs)

Milorganite.....spread it over the plot. Deer won't touch it for a couple weeks. Works wonders on small bean plots.