a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Tuning a bow without levels and such

Tuning a bow without levels and such

I have a 2012 hoyt crx 35 and I do not have the tools to properly tune my rest for centershot so I was wondering if I could simply get it the best I can by my eye and then paper tune it the rest of the way. Wouldn't it be the same thing or am I wrong? Please I need all the help I can get because I do not have a pro shop in my area. Thank you

paper tune is just a start.... i always eye ball centershot, but just start about 3/4 to 13/16" and tune from there...

tune is more precise by bareshaft tune or broadhead tune, if you hunt
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Absolutely can!
    Levels do make it easier to get to a starting point but after that, paper tuning, then walk back tuning is your ticket to success.
    P.S..... you know the $3.00 string levels you can but at Wal-Mart? I bought a few of them and popped out the levels. I use them more than the so called "archery specific" tools. You can place one on the bows shelf to level the bow and hold one on the arrow to level it.
    Maybe not as precise as other tools; this method will get you real close.

Any other tips I could use to get a good starting point or to tune it even more? Of course all I do is hunt with my bow but I do a few target shoots when I can and I'd like to be very accurate

cam timing, top cam touching cable just a tiny bit before bottom cam, set nock point like 1/16 high to start with arrow close to center of berger. top cam just a little pre lean. center shot as said above.

thats great starting point
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Just find the smallest levels you can and try to work with them. When you get a few bucks you can buy the Pro-Tune System. It is what the Pros use. Find a thread called the kitchen sink method from Nuts and Bolts a user here on AT. That will also help you. Here is a picture of the Pro-Tune. You can also go to our site and see a video of it being used.
    Van Handle
    http://www.vanhandle.com
    DEATH GRIP The Deadliest Grip in the Woods
    www.bungeeblind.com BUNGEE BLIND It's That Simple. Its That Light.
    Pro-Tune, Stop Guessing

I do my own tuning. I've never used a level. I have two tools that I can't tune without though. A bow square and a Bowmaster press. Use the square behind a nocked arrow to level it to the string. Level height should run centered in line with the berger hole. Find the bow's center shot with another arrow set against the inside of the riser then paralleling the nocked arrow with the rest. From this point it's paper tuning and I never touch the rest again to tune out tears on a hybrid cam bow. I take out left or right tears by yoke tuning and high or low tears with cam sync. That's where the press is needed.