a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Regions Archery Swan Song?

  1. #1

    Regions Archery Swan Song?

    New here and trying to see what people have heard about Regions Archery. I can't find on here what I've heard at the shoots. People have said they're in financial trouble from poor turnouts and other short comings, even the operators at times. I noticed there didn't seem to be that many people at the shoots, a few more than last year, but grumblings on the side from people helping out about money issues. Even some pro shooters confiding that they were disappointed. People saying the shoot this week will go off because of contractual obligations, but this is it. Anybody?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,670
    I think the only disappointments were turnouts. From people I've talked to its a great shoot. There are just some key things hurting them.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by schmel_me View Post
    There are just some key things hurting them.
    Yeah, money and low turnouts are "key". I went to two of the shoots last year. The one here in NC and the last one in PA. Just seemed disorganized most of the time. I know it was the first year but come on, the people running this have been shooting these things for years. They need to clean up their act. The award presentation at Warren was so hot and drawn out, the one pro shooter that was asking everybody to support Regions left before it was over. I don't plan on going back until I hear that some drastic changes have taken place. IBO has some problems, but not like this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Rogersville MO
    Posts
    4,264
    Poor scheduling and placement would be the biggest issue I saw with them. Me and my group of shooters went to the Stillwater shoot and had a great time. The shoot was well run and gave a few guys class options that ASA doesn't.

    Then came the problem. After that shoot, every Regions tourney we looked at attending was either back-to back with an ASA tourney (so we had to choose which to attend), or was in an eastern state that was too far to make the trip economically.

    Set more tourneys away from the same area as ASA, move to alternating weekends, and don't even try to compete with ASA. They would find their nitch IMO.
    Mathews C4 (3D)
    Mathews Chill w/rock mods! (hunting)
    GoldTip Staff
    TRU Ball Staff

  5. #5
    It's a self fulfilling prophecy.... you've got to have numbers to get numbers. Why do we load up and travel 800+ miles to an ASA?.... because we know everyone else is too. We know about what our class size will be before we go and we know what the potential upside is. This isn't just about attendance either. ASA uses a published and hard set payout schedule... it doesn't change mid year....and ASA checks get mailed out 8 days after every shoot the vast majority of the time.

    I won Stillwater this year. The math didn't work on the "big" check I recieved at the shoot and called them afterwards. The confusion over payouts ran wide and deep and it ultimately took me almost 3 months to get my check. Other payouts at tournaments later on were different percentages.

    The bottom line is, their attendance doesn't justify the cost. When I got out of the truck at Stillwater, I coughed up $190 before I even got my bow out of the truck or paid for gas/food/hotel. Local shoots are drawing better attendance. Why? Because they are cheap. I also told Dick that I thought the investment being poured into the Championship Bowhunter class was wasted money. It is basically asking guys who don't attend tournaments already to show up in numbers and compete for big $...with a big entry fee....and shoot pop-ups...in front of a "crowd"..... or its asking regular shooters from other divisions to jump ship and shoot the CBH class which further dilutes the core class attendance numbers. My suggestion was to take the same $ and put some garaunteed winnings in the big classes (K45, Open B, Hunter) and see what happens.

    Attendance will not grow until the potential upside outweighs the cost. How many times this year did a guy "win" a class and get back less than his entry fee? Is it his fault no one else showed up? Attendance is on the ownership and I think the lack of attendance is showing that the customer is not willing to shoulder the risk.

    I do wish them the best and hope they find success but I don't believe it is to be had with their current model.

  6. #6
    Slow getting checks is one of the problems i heard last year. A pro shooter told me she had to ask several times, both through their facebook page and in person about her winning check and had to wait over two months to get it. Like I said, I know it was the first year, but it shouldnt take that long.

  7. #7
    I attended two shoots this year and they were pretty well organized. They might have done better if they had concentrated this year on shoots in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Once they could get that schedule set they could look at another region that would include Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and north Texas.

    Holding their championship in West Monroe, LA, on a Labor Day weekend is, imho, another gaff. Its the last weekend of summer and folks have other activities they'll be wanting to do with family. Next weekend in southern Indiana/southern Illinois might have been a better idea.

    Looking forward to shooting some of their events next year.
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

  8. #8
    They were a huge disappoint plus what happen to to city of warren was a bunch of crap

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Marshfield Missouri
    Posts
    9,617
    I guess I enjoyed the oklahoma regions, I was out the same amount of money as a asa weekend and there were very few shooters. I didn't mind supporting them with my weekend and money but they have got to step back and think about things for next year and make some really good changes or they aren't going to make it.

    Really trying to make another asa style 3d tour is the biggest mistake, I would step back and think outside the box and find a way to change things into something new and special that nobody else is doing. Then you would create a buzz in the archery world and give people a reason to come, right now there is simply little to no reason to commit to regions.
    Socket Man

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Quitman, Ga
    Posts
    1,218
    Same old story --- not enough shooters with enough money, vacation time, or time to support 4 different major national organizations every weekend --- ASA, IBO, NFAA, and Regions --- especially in addition of the high cost of travel and accommodations we are faced with today. Regions stands about as much chance of survival as a snowball in a heated oven --- a downright shame, but true.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman65 View Post
    They were a huge disappoint plus what happen to to city of warren was a bunch of crap
    What happened at Warren? I worked with them last year and thought it went well.
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ben Pearson Staff ~ Muzzy Products Staff ~ Carbon Express Staff ~ Pine Ridge Archery Staff ~ Masko Outdoor Gear
    Join me on Facebook at Clyde Wiggins Outdoors https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clyde...4576749?ref=hl

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    Same old story --- not enough shooters with enough money, vacation time, or time to support 4 different major national organizations every weekend --- ASA, IBO, NFAA, and Regions --- especially in addition of the high cost of travel and accommodations we are faced with today. Regions stands about as much chance of survival as a snowball in a heated oven --- a downright shame, but true.
    Never underestimate a man on a mission...who has some jingle in his pocket to back it up.
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

  13. #13
    Hey Clyde. I wondered what happened to you. I thought you were going to work with Regions again this year. What happened?

  14. #14
    We had a disagreement and parted company.
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ben Pearson Staff ~ Muzzy Products Staff ~ Carbon Express Staff ~ Pine Ridge Archery Staff ~ Masko Outdoor Gear
    Join me on Facebook at Clyde Wiggins Outdoors https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clyde...4576749?ref=hl

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Quitman, Ga
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosii View Post
    Never underestimate a man on a mission...who has some jingle in his pocket to back it up.
    Pockets must be deeper than the Grand Canyon.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    Pockets must be deeper than the Grand Canyon.
    I've heard that a house and a bank note can work wonders.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeWigg3 View Post
    We had a disagreement and parted company.
    I'm sorry to hear that, you were missed this year. I always enjoyed talking to you on the range. What happened?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shinnston, WV
    Posts
    427
    I'm sure ASA and IBO in their infancy was perfect. Give it time or don't, it has the potential and I personally know they are working hard for more shoots and getting it right.
    Find us on FaceBook....TankerStabs

    Tank tough, feather light carbon stabilizers!
    Shoot down the competition!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    midlothian,va
    Posts
    15,620
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorelli View Post
    It's a self fulfilling prophecy.... you've got to have numbers to get numbers. Why do we load up and travel 800+ miles to an ASA?.... because we know everyone else is too. We know about what our class size will be before we go and we know what the potential upside is. This isn't just about attendance either. ASA uses a published and hard set payout schedule... it doesn't change mid year....and ASA checks get mailed out 8 days after every shoot the vast majority of the time.

    I won Stillwater this year. The math didn't work on the "big" check I recieved at the shoot and called them afterwards. The confusion over payouts ran wide and deep and it ultimately took me almost 3 months to get my check. Other payouts at tournaments later on were different percentages.

    The bottom line is, their attendance doesn't justify the cost. When I got out of the truck at Stillwater, I coughed up $190 before I even got my bow out of the truck or paid for gas/food/hotel. Local shoots are drawing better attendance. Why? Because they are cheap. I also told Dick that I thought the investment being poured into the Championship Bowhunter class was wasted money. It is basically asking guys who don't attend tournaments already to show up in numbers and compete for big $...with a big entry fee....and shoot pop-ups...in front of a "crowd"..... or its asking regular shooters from other divisions to jump ship and shoot the CBH class which further dilutes the core class attendance numbers. My suggestion was to take the same $ and put some garaunteed winnings in the big classes (K45, Open B, Hunter) and see what happens.

    Attendance will not grow until the potential upside outweighs the cost. How many times this year did a guy "win" a class and get back less than his entry fee? Is it his fault no one else showed up? Attendance is on the ownership and I think the lack of attendance is showing that the customer is not willing to shoulder the risk.

    I do wish them the best and hope they find success but I don't believe it is to be had with their current model.
    Exactly! For those that don't know neither of us shoot in K45, Open B or Hunter so we aren't thinking of ourselves. The fact is that those 3 classes are what could have got Regions off the ground. Those 3 classes alone could draw let's say 180 archers. Let's say each one of those guys in those 3 classes bring family and/or buddies. You now have around 400 archers playing. If you really believe in the pop-up game it could be Regions versions of the ASA Limbsaver side show and see where it goes.

    I shot the NC tournament this year. It was a really nice venue and the K50 course was really well set as were the other courses I saw. It simply lacked attendance. I really thought there would have been at least 400+ archers in attendance. Why it was such a problem for me to get my check is beyond me as the math is very basic and simple.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME, BowMadness 34, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hudson, FL
    Posts
    4,777
    Quote Originally Posted by tank69kma View Post
    I'm sure ASA and IBO in their infancy was perfect. Give it time or don't, it has the potential and I personally know they are working hard for more shoots and getting it right.
    Please dont take offence to this......are you new to the 3d world of shooting??? And what I mean by new lets say anything say from 2008.... that would give asa 15yrs old...and ibo around 20....

    For asa.....it didnt have new association issues like this....for it was manifested from a yearly event called the Budweiser shootout.....

    Things take time.....now with the schedule dates changed up for 2015-16 there might be some differences to come out of it ...
    In God we Trust all others pay CASH

    I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

  21. #21
    I perfer to air my laundry in my own back yard. We had differences of opinion that turned sour. I had a great time, met some great people and enjoyed helping to promote the tournaments through the original facebook page that I created, and I appreciated having a job at a time when I needed one.
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ben Pearson Staff ~ Muzzy Products Staff ~ Carbon Express Staff ~ Pine Ridge Archery Staff ~ Masko Outdoor Gear
    Join me on Facebook at Clyde Wiggins Outdoors https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clyde...4576749?ref=hl

  22. #22
    They might want to concentrate their events
    Closer together like their original plan. Quite a few were told at the Pa shoot they were planning a Ny, Ohio, Pa, WV or Virgina shoot for the following year. What did they do...... La, Ok, In and cancel the Pa shoot. Lol They said they were concentrating on the Ibo areas so they went to Asa country makes sense????
    I like the shoot in Pa was a bit unorganized good thing there were 150 shooters and not 1500 or it would of been a nightmare. Until they set a schedule and stick to it and I don't have to drive over 12 hours to shoot I'm waiting and watching.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    se michigan
    Posts
    966
    i shot the event here in michigan and i was really dissapointed in the turn out just from michigan archers, which is sad, they ran a great shoot and the courses were awesome and so was the venue. i shot the bhc class and was in first going into the pop up shoot down. here is where i think this class is kinda silly. they whipe everyones scores clean and start at zero, to decide the winner on a novelty type shoot is kinda silly. doesnt to me show the best shooter for the weekend. if you keep the scores running like all the other classes then i would say fine, but thats not the case. as far as the other classes everything i heard was all positive except the numbers. hope they can make it.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtr3d View Post
    Please dont take offence to this......are you new to the 3d world of shooting??? And what I mean by new lets say anything say from 2008.... that would give asa 15yrs old...and ibo around 20....

    For asa.....it didnt have new association issues like this....for it was manifested from a yearly event called the Budweiser shootout.....

    Things take time.....now with the schedule dates changed up for 2015-16 there might be some differences to come out of it ...
    What do you know...and when did you know it???
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ebro, Florida, United Sta
    Posts
    2,218
    So 103 shooters at the National shoot. More than anything it's feeding ASA by giving new shooters a taste and then they go to ASA.
    Mike Marlow, ASA, FAA and NFAA member
    ASA Area Rep NW Florida

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •