Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regions Archery Swan Song?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdplace View Post
    So 103 shooters at the National shoot. More than anything it's feeding ASA by giving new shooters a taste and then they go to ASA.
    Is that the figure for West Monroe?
    Can you point me toward the target, please?

102...I left before shooting this morning...rain coming down in buckets, pros shot 10 targets and stopped, no definitive answer on whether we were going to continue or not, rain and severe thunderstorms forecast for all day today and tomorrow, so I wrote off my 40 bucks (it would have cost more than that to fix the issues the rain would have caused with my bow) and we left. I guess by the scores that they actually did get to shoot, but I was not going to shoot in a downpour. They (Regions) need to get out of the way of the ASA events and concentrate on the rest of the country that the ASA is ignoring...almost anything west of the Mississippi would work. Carlosii you didn't miss a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by tank69kma View Post
    I'm sure ASA and IBO in their infancy was perfect. Give it time or don't, it has the potential and I personally know they are working hard for more shoots and getting it right.
    Not perfect but Asa was close to it when Wayne Pearson started it !!!
    June 26th is a day of shame for America. Please have mercy Lord, they know not what they have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Davik View Post
    102...I left before shooting this morning...rain coming down in buckets, pros shot 10 targets and stopped, no definitive answer on whether we were going to continue or not, rain and severe thunderstorms forecast for all day today and tomorrow, so I wrote off my 40 bucks (it would have cost more than that to fix the issues the rain would have caused with my bow) and we left. I guess by the scores that they actually did get to shoot, but I was not going to shoot in a downpour. They (Regions) need to get out of the way of the ASA events and concentrate on the rest of the country that the ASA is ignoring...almost anything west of the Mississippi would work. Carlosii you didn't miss a thing...
    Sorry to hear that. I was really hoping they'd have a good turn out and enjoy good weather. But I figured folks wouldn't give up their Labor Day plans....last chance to get with the family and hit the lake, grill the brats, and do family kinda things. Add to that it was in the deep south and a fur piece for those of us from the midwest and you might have shot yourself in the foot.

Hope he has a better year next year.

Yeah...I hope he learns from this year and concentrates next year on areas where there is no organized 3D presence...we need something like Regions in the central part of the country where IBO and ASA refuse to go.

Yeah...I hope he learns from this year and concentrates next year on areas where there is no organized 3D presence...we need something like Regions in the central part of the country where IBO and ASA refuse to go.
    I think you will like next years schedule for regions

I'm just amazed at the lack of communication from the organization. I also get a kick out of a few people that blame the customers for not showing up for their lack of success.

The organization bears the responsibility of scheduling the event at a time and place the customers want, publicizing and promoting it, and executing the event flawlessly. If they do that, people will come. It's not the customers fault when they don't show because the date, location is wrong, and the event isn't properly promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    I think you will like next years schedule for regions
    When are they going to announce the schedule? A lot of us plan our shoot schedule very soon.

I don't think there is a firm schedule yet but from what I heard being tossed around it sounded good to me. Remember the NABH? Thats what I am hoping for. Anyone can sit here and armchair quarterback this thing to death..literally. I want to see the succeed so I choose to support Regions and not write them off.
    New Breed Horizon
    New Breed Eclipse
    Hoyt Gamemaster

I shot two regions shoots this year one in Shreveport which the turnout was horrible at and Stillwater because I live 30 minutes from it. I just was not willing to drop several hundred dollars to go out of town and shoot another regions tournament that may have 150 competitors. I think that everyone is in the same boat there is just not enough money to go around to support another association at this point and get little to no return. There was nothing wrong with the way regions did things it is just not worth my $$$ and vacation time to support it. I know that here in Oklahoma and the surrounding states a Federation style regions where there is qualifiers and a state shoot is getting going and I will support that. We had more shooters at our first regions state championship than was at the national.
    Elite E35, Scott, Black Eagle Arrows, B2 Bowstrings, Davis Shooting Systems.
    Sponsored by: Top Shot Shooting Sports, Custom Archery Accessories

The NABH (North American Bow Hunters) was sponsored by Cabela's during the late 90's to early 2000. It too had shoots from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania. I believe once Cabela's didn't get it's investment back they pulled the plug. The Warren Pa. shoot was my first introduction into National tournament 3D archery. The combination of ASA and IBO ranges were challenging and well thought out. However the 20 some page contract between the host and organization was troublesome. The local Boy Scout Troup and other volunteers made the event run well. They directed shooters to their correct ranges, had sandwiches and drinks at the start of each range and they actually camped in the woods. One thing extremely equal about their rules was EVERYBODY shot through the chronograph upon exiting the ranges. Shot-gun starts on Saturday and Sunday with 2 Pro-Ams on Friday. What was also impressive was the registration trailer with computer's and a huge digital screen showing the schedule of events. They were far and above the standard which those of us north of the Mason-Dixon line have had to experience during the previous years... The timing and picking of locations is available for the best organization currently providing shooters with the best product for your dollar throughout the North and Mid-West. Record attendance is an indicator of their product!!!

I too shot the NABH shoots (a couple of them anyway) and would welcome an archery organization with open arms that would come to my neck of the woods to play...right now, ASA is held east of the Mississippi, which means a 12-16 hour drive for me...each ASA Pro Am costs me a thousand dollars to participate...the only ASA event left out our way is Paris...which may or may not exist in a year or two...what a grand time for Regions to establish a foothold and flourish in this area...but putting events further east than ASA will not lure me into participating. Given a choice between going to Michigan for Regions or Alabama for ASA, I'll go where the shooters are...if that choice was Alabama or Arkansas, the choice would be the closer one. Regions has to get further west and tap into a demographic that does not have ASA or IBO.

A the shoot out at regions it was announced there is going to be a east and west side,west being oklahoma, Louisiana, hopefully Texas and Iowa, east to be determined. The regions classic is going to be held in Branson, Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    A the shoot out at regions it was announced there is going to be a east and west side,west being oklahoma, Louisiana, hopefully Texas and Iowa, east to be determined. The regions classic is going to be held in Branson, Mo.
    Sounds good to me.

I'd heard that Bass Pro was building a major shooting range in the Branson area that would include firearms and archery...not much lately.

I'm thinking if they put together four shoots, one each, in western PA, Ohio, Indiana, and northern Illinois, along with the four western shoots previously mentioned, they might be on to something. PROVIDED they don't go to places on dates when there might be big events taking place...like the Kentucky Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosii View Post
    I'm thinking if they put together four shoots, one each, in western PA, Ohio, Indiana, and northern Illinois, along with the four western shoots previously mentioned, they might be on to something. PROVIDED they don't go to places on dates when there might be big events taking place...like the Kentucky Derby.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by bhtr3d View Post
    Please dont take offence to this......are you new to the 3d world of shooting??? And what I mean by new lets say anything say from 2008.... that would give asa 15yrs old...and ibo around 20....

For asa.....it didnt have new association issues like this....for it was manifested from a yearly event called the Budweiser shootout.....

Things take time.....now with the schedule dates changed up for 2015-16 there might be some differences to come out of it ...
    I got started in 3D at the beginning of the year, so I am a noob. But you can't tell me that IBO and ASA started out with near perfect form. At any rate, I hope Regions is able to make it....I like having options.
    Find us on FaceBook....TankerStabs

Tank tough, feather light carbon stabilizers!
    Shoot down the competition!

Quote Originally Posted by tank69kma View Post
    I got started in 3D at the beginning of the year, so I am a noob. But you can't tell me that IBO and ASA started out with near perfect form. At any rate, I hope Regions is able to make it....I like having options.
    Actually back in the day Virginia and many other IBO state shoots were drawing much larger numbers than the Regions shoots have drawn. Both the IBO and ASA got legs AFTER a lot of people were already shooting 3d type archery. They did not "create" 3D archery.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME,[/COLOR] DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

I enjoyed the national championship last weekend. Ranges were awesome. Facilities were great. Like others have said, the only thing disappointing was the turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by tmorelli View Post
    It's a self fulfilling prophecy.... you've got to have numbers to get numbers. Why do we load up and travel 800+ miles to an ASA?.... because we know everyone else is too. We know about what our class size will be before we go and we know what the potential upside is. This isn't just about attendance either. ASA uses a published and hard set payout schedule... it doesn't change mid year....and ASA checks get mailed out 8 days after every shoot the vast majority of the time.

I won Stillwater this year. The math didn't work on the "big" check I recieved at the shoot and called them afterwards. The confusion over payouts ran wide and deep and it ultimately took me almost 3 months to get my check. Other payouts at tournaments later on were different percentages.

The bottom line is, their attendance doesn't justify the cost. When I got out of the truck at Stillwater, I coughed up $190 before I even got my bow out of the truck or paid for gas/food/hotel. Local shoots are drawing better attendance. Why? Because they are cheap. I also told Dick that I thought the investment being poured into the Championship Bowhunter class was wasted money. It is basically asking guys who don't attend tournaments already to show up in numbers and compete for big $...with a big entry fee....and shoot pop-ups...in front of a "crowd"..... or its asking regular shooters from other divisions to jump ship and shoot the CBH class which further dilutes the core class attendance numbers. My suggestion was to take the same $ and put some garaunteed winnings in the big classes (K45, Open B, Hunter) and see what happens.

Attendance will not grow until the potential upside outweighs the cost. How many times this year did a guy "win" a class and get back less than his entry fee? Is it his fault no one else showed up? Attendance is on the ownership and I think the lack of attendance is showing that the customer is not willing to shoulder the risk.

I do wish them the best and hope they find success but I don't believe it is to be had with their current model.

^^^^^ what he said plus the fact that the majority of people just don't have the means to go to 3 venues. I live in SW Ohio. I love the ASA more than I do the IBO yet I still choose to shoot the IBO. I shoot he IBO because there shoots are closer and all the local clubs are IBO w/ Rhinehart targets. I don't have enough coin to buy a range of McKenzie targets and polish my 12 game nor would I have the time to if I did own the targets. I know that's what K-45 is for right? That is a whole different type of pressure. I mean you have no excuses then. My ego can't handle it. lol. Seriously though one shoot a month is about all my wallet can handle. Especially since all the hotels jack their rates up just because there is a shoot scheduled.

I don't know if moving more shoots out west would help, but for many in the eastern tier, there are just too many shoots too close together and archers can't afford them all. ASA will draw the crowds as it is tried and true. Regions could capture the flag out west where there are almost no big money 3D events - maybe their market is in that region where lots of people would like to play but can't afford the time and money to travel to the ASA venues.

Quote Originally Posted by rsw View Post
    I don't know if moving more shoots out west would help, but for many in the eastern tier, there are just too many shoots too close together and archers can't afford them all. ASA will draw the crowds as it is tried and true. Regions could capture the flag out west where there are almost no big money 3D events - maybe their market is in that region where lots of people would like to play but can't afford the time and money to travel to the ASA venues.
    I know Lancaster's located well east, and I think TRU Ball is too. So, will the vendors follow Regions to the west?

There are many vendors that are located west of the Mississippi...besides...the vendors are not the reason we shooters go to these national events...yes, they play a part, but I would go with or without vendors...Regions needs to get out here where IBO has abandoned us, ASA rules the area, and is telling us that if we want to shoot national events we will go east. I would support a venue or organization that caters to the west central US

There are many vendors that are located west of the Mississippi...besides...the vendors are not the reason we shooters go to these national events...yes, they play a part, but I would go with or without vendors...Regions needs to get out here where IBO has abandoned us, ASA rules the area, and is telling us that if we want to shoot national events we will go east. I would support a venue or organization that caters to the west central US
    My point was that vendors help make the event, not that people should or would attend a shoot based on their presence. Its just that I think Regions needs vendors to help make the event more attractive to shooters. I agree that there are a good many shooters in the lower midwest that would be expected to support an ASA format event.

Poplar Plains, Ky. "Foot Hills of Appalachians "
    As much as we wanted to follow the Regions tour, like we have the ASA tours since our rertirement, there were so many things that changrd our minds. Even if most of the things are considered trivial, we didn't expect such a distance that Regions seems to place between their organization and the shoooters.
    Somewhere I was left with the feeling that, Regions must be thinking if we build it they will come, so why should we be concerned with communicating with the shooters or even have information on a web page for them to view.
    Does Regions really think that they should leave it up to someone else to promote their events? Do they really think that with only a copy another organizaions operating platform, and without the relationship between them and their shooters, that people will travel to their events.
    After attending some of their events, I saw nothing that many of the good local club shoots doesn't offer, except maybe having to pay a larger entry fee, pay to use the practice range, requirement to join their organization, and even club shoots have their insurance included in their entry fee.
    Does Regions really feel that with what they have to offer their shooters, as compared to other national organizations, that their entry fees and membership should be the same.
    Most shooters I know, including myself, really wanted Regions to hit the ground running and really grow into a major tour, and still wants them to grow. However, in my opinion, the people wanting them to bring their events to their area will require a following that Regions seems to have no interest in developing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast