a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Land pride 42" rototiller ..Is it too small?

Land pride 42" rototiller ..Is it too small?

I have an opportunity to buy a used 3pt 42" rototiller for $350. My tractor is an early 80's John Deere 950. Is this rototiller any good? To small? Price?

TOWER SERVICE PROSTAFF

The three footer will work but it would be smaller than ideal, because it will not cover the width of your rear tractor tires. I have a JD 955 and this four footer just barely is wider than the rears. $350 is a good price, but I would keep looking JB. I think I paid $550 for this TSC brand that was used.

correction - I see it is a 3' 6" tiller, and if your 950 has ag rears instead of the turf tires I have, it might cover the entire width. Go measure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

We say "Merry Christmas", so Merry Christmas to all

Quote Originally Posted by 410gage View Post
    The three footer will work but it would be smaller than ideal, because it will not cover the width of your rear tractor tires. I have a JD 955 and this four footer just barely is wider than the rears. $350 is a good price, but I would keep looking JB. I think I paid $550 for this TSC brand that was used.

correction - I see it is a 3' 6" tiller, and if your 950 has ag rears instead of the turf tires I have, it might cover the entire width. Go measure.
    Yes I'm gonna measure the rear. I do have turf tires.
    TOWER SERVICE PROSTAFF

A 3'6" tiller is pretty small. It would be good for someone that is planting a small garden but for foodplot use I would say its a tad small.
    General rule of thumb is for every 1 foot of tiller you need 5 pto hp to run. Your tractor is 27-28 pto hp so you could easily run a 5 - 5.5ft tiller. As you get larger in tiller width the weight and construction of the tillers greatly increase also. With a smaller tiller you are going to have to make more passes and burn more fuel which includes more seat time.
    I went from a 4ft tiller to a heavy duty 66" tiller and it was a world of difference.

Thanks for the replies. Prob gonna look for something bigger
    TOWER SERVICE PROSTAFF

It is too small as you noted
    NRA Life Member