Archery Talk Forum banner

Land pride 42" rototiller ..Is it too small?

946 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  FearNot 
#1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a used 3pt 42" rototiller for $350. My tractor is an early 80's John Deere 950. Is this rototiller any good? To small? Price?

#2 ·
The three footer will work but it would be smaller than ideal, because it will not cover the width of your rear tractor tires. I have a JD 955 and this four footer just barely is wider than the rears. $350 is a good price, but I would keep looking JB. I think I paid $550 for this TSC brand that was used.

correction - I see it is a 3' 6" tiller, and if your 950 has ag rears instead of the turf tires I have, it might cover the entire width. Go measure.

Attachments

#4 ·
A 3'6" tiller is pretty small. It would be good for someone that is planting a small garden but for foodplot use I would say its a tad small.
General rule of thumb is for every 1 foot of tiller you need 5 pto hp to run. Your tractor is 27-28 pto hp so you could easily run a 5 - 5.5ft tiller. As you get larger in tiller width the weight and construction of the tillers greatly increase also. With a smaller tiller you are going to have to make more passes and burn more fuel which includes more seat time.
I went from a 4ft tiller to a heavy duty 66" tiller and it was a world of difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.