Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Labor Day - Brought To You By Your Union Brothers & Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by BluMeanie View Post
    Kids these days, absolutely spoiled with all their "Technological" gewgaws! When I was workin' in a concrete-plant at age 5 for $0.03 a day, I didn't get no dang "front-end loaders"! We used splintery-handled SHOVELS, and had to RUN back and forth to the aggregate-pile, and every now and again a kid fell-into the mixer, but nobody would help him out because we were too dang exhausted from running and shoveling, so he would be mixed-up in the batch and, if lucky, someone would scratch his name in the wet cement with a stick at the jobsite for a grave-marker, and WE LIKED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    I just spit non union pressed wine ALL OVER my new wood floor!
    Sorry 'bout dat.

Mea Culpa.
    Parfois, on fait pas semblant!
    (Sometimes, it is not pretend!)

Quote Originally Posted by BluMeanie View Post
    Kids these days, absolutely spoiled with all their "Technological" gewgaws! When I was workin' in a concrete-plant at age 5 for $0.03 a day, I didn't get no dang "front-end loaders"! We used splintery-handled SHOVELS, and had to RUN back and forth to the aggregate-pile, and every now and again a kid fell-into the mixer, but nobody would help him out because we were too dang exhausted from running and shoveling, so he would be mixed-up in the batch and, if lucky, someone would scratch his name in the wet cement with a stick at the jobsite for a grave-marker, and WE LIKED IT!
    Haha! Good one Blu! But that clip of the kid in the wheel loader is pretty amazing. No OSHA for sure wherever he is helping make cement.
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunson View Post
    ... it only reflects poorly on your business owner skills, or choice of business, when you claim you're over-worked, poverty-stricken, small business owners.
    Hey! ...I'm a farmer, that's how it's supposed to work!
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

Respectfully, bull****.
    I find that when searching for gravitas in my expletives it is always better to use visual aids, this will add a weight and substance to your desired effect and place the emphasis squarely on point and leave no doubt as to your intended meaning.

bull****.jpg
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by 410gage View Post
    Haha! Good one Blu! But that clip of the kid in the wheel loader is pretty amazing. No OSHA for sure wherever he is helping make cement.
    Honestly, I am surprised the kid didn't have a cheroot hangin' out of his mouth or somethin'. Offhand, I would say it is probably Taiwan or China somewhere, and a "Family Concrete Business".

I gotta give him props as well - I didn't learn how to drive one of them things until I was nearly 17, and it was a heckuva lot smaller model.
    Parfois, on fait pas semblant!
    (Sometimes, it is not pretend!)

Sorry, I'm anti union. They've cost me way too much money trying to find ways not to get work done while my interest clock is ticking.

it was started for a great cause and now it's abused.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    here is to the union and child labor laws...... Sheet think of how many little children lives would be saved if only .....well watch and learn

The kid seems union to me. Slow with a lot of wasted motion. The way he is operating the front end loader will, at the very least, double maintenance costs.

[QUOTE= mattawamkeag;1070951144]I find that when searching for gravitas in my expletives it is always better to use visual aids, this will add a weight and substance to your desired effect and place the emphasis squarely on point and leave no doubt as to your intended meaning.

may I use this on occasion?
    Praesto et Persto

[QUOTE=Billie;1070951694]
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    I find that when searching for gravitas in my expletives it is always better to use visual aids, this will add a weight and substance to your desired effect and place the emphasis squarely on point and leave no doubt as to your intended meaning.

may I use this on occasion?
    Of course, but it's a pretty dried up and desiccated pile, I'll get a fresh one for you.

Proud to be union!!!!!*!*!!*!! Pipeliners local 798 !!!******

Respectfully, bull****. Small business owners work to keep it running and keep the pay checks coming for their employees. You had a bad boss once. Sorry. We all have. These "over worked, poverty-stricken, small business owners" are holding this country together. And yes, business may not be that great, but you still hold it together, because that's what SBOs do. They don't have a union to pull their ass out of a bad economy. You keep going to work.
    Cry me a river. If your business sucks, find a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce 2 View Post
    How does a union pull their ass out of a bad economy?
    They don't. People don't realize that if the company fails, the workers lose their jobs. It is always in the union's best interest to keep the company alive. Dipchits like these guys think unions are trying to destroy businesses. That would make a lot of sense wouldn't it?

Hey! ...I'm a farmer, that's how it's supposed to work!
    Just don't forget to get in line for your subsidies. Oh wait, that's for big farmers.

They don't. People don't realize that if the company fails, the workers lose their jobs. It is always in the union's best interest to keep the company alive. Dipchits like these guys think unions are trying to destroy businesses. That would make a lot of sense wouldn't it?
    Yeah. Sure. We've all seen unions bend over backwards to keep a company alive for the workers. They often take pay cuts and decreased benefits to prevent a complete shut down of a business. Right? Right?...wait...NO?
    Praesto et Persto

Quote Originally Posted by Jennym View Post
    [*]Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
    Domestic terrorist organization? We had a fellow who lost the tip of his finger in an accident at work a week or two back and in an effort to slake the 'heads gotta roll' thirst of OSHA, a 32 year employee who was already overtaxed with responsibilities was the sacrificial lamb who had to be let go.

A corporate decision to appease Big Brother in the work place. Just one of your better ideas.
    A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm.

Yeah. Sure. We've all seen unions bend over backwards to keep a company alive for the workers. They often take pay cuts and decreased benefits to prevent a complete shut down of a business. Right? Right?...wait...NO?
    lol when company is doing good unions push for more more more. When things get crappy and the company says they need to cut back to make profit line most times unions say no no no! Unions members can't see the top level greed of their unions, only the greedy company who BTW supplies jobs and benes and product and service. Unions bosses well they do nothing but line their pockets.
    if a woman starts hitting me and won't stop , she's gonna get a lips tapped.

They are well educated in the business model. When you try to call a bluff, you better make sure the other party is bluffing. Remember the CEOs flying on corporate jets to their bailout hearings? Didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by sticshooter View Post
    lol when company is doing good unions push for more more more. When things get crappy and the company says they need to cut back to make profit line most times unions say no no no! Unions members can't see the top level greed of their unions, only the greedy company who BTW supplies jobs and benes and product and service. Unions bosses well they do nothing but line their pockets.
    Does a company make successful workers? Or do the workers make a successful company?

As a matter of fact many companies do make successful workers!!!! It is in their best interest you know. It is also true many workers make successful companies. I see no point in your post unless you simply like to ask questions.

I do not have to elaborate on my hypothesis, you have provided ample evidence since to make me believe I may be going down the right street. Start cashing in on the 10 visits per year. Good luck in what ever you do, I am sure it will never be starting, owning, or running something. It would be tough to have such a chip about your self.

CG
    ..............it's that you hunt

99% of liberals give all the other ones a bad name

bull****.jpg

hey matt.. that poo looks a bit light.

What you feeding dem dar bovinies?
    "Im a Dapper Dan man"

Does a company make successful workers? Or do the workers make a successful company?
    both.
    if a woman starts hitting me and won't stop , she's gonna get a lips tapped.

Good leadership results in successful workers and a prosperous company. Mediocre, run of the mill management breeds the kind of employees we generally find at Home Depot, convenience stores, the Government, etc.
    DNA , Omen, Spyder 30

No disrespect to you cobo, but if you can't take vacations or get time off, perhaps your business is not that great. I have a friend from high school that runs a very successful small business in the Loveland area. He travels all over the world and posts his great vacation pics on facebook. At least once every couple months he is somewhere exotic. His business is less than 10 employees. He admits he is thankfull for his great employees that make it possible for him to have such great success. I also used to work for a guy with about six employees that was the same way. No vacations for us. No paid holidays. No insurance. He told me when he hired me he would have me where I wanted to be pay wise, if I performed well within the first year. In that time, he layed off one of the other guys doing the same job I was doing because I was doing double his work and he layed off his estimator, because I was doing estimates for him as well. When the year was up, I carefully brought up our discussion from when I hired on to remind him that I had a target wage I was hoping for. He told me that times were getting tough and he just couldn't afford it right now. I accepted it as a possiblity until his wife rolled up in her brand new Beemer SUV. This guy took off at least a full week every month to go hunting or fishing somewhere exotic, and showed off his lavish cabin upstate. When I put in my two weeks notice he was upset. He asked me why I thought he couldn't keep people like me working for him so I told him the truth. I don't expect an employer to work harder than me or have less than I do, but I do expect honesty. I know he dropped over $35 in wages by laying off those two other guys and I was just asking for $3 more than he was paying me, and I knew the cash flow for the business. I also knew the job outlook. He was booked well ahead of normal. Instead, he chose to reward himself for my efforts and threw it in my face.

You can continue to muddy this subject with your one-liner quips, but it only reflects poorly on your business owner skills, or choice of business, when you claim you're over-worked, poverty-stricken, small business owners.
    Something about one liner quips that add nothing to the discussion:
    Excellent post Jennym!!!

Everyone have a great weekend!! Except for you corporate stooges, and small business owners that think everyone working for you should work 24/7 for peanuts, while you take the vacations.
    It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with an employer. I no more believe that your experience is any more representative of small business owners or corporate types than I believe that most union workers are represented by the shining examples that often get posted in the union bashing threads. How about you?

I work in a very seasonal very competitive business, so I make hay when the sun is shining and the nature or our work isn't something that can be easily delegated. Doing what we do has served to keep us gainfully employed in a very difficult economy. So while our business skill could certainly use some(lots of) improvement, I'll count being in business a positive reflection of our business savvy. In our field the folks that do the work we do the way we do it most often don't work for other companies, they go start their own(just like we did). Some move on to a company that has better (management) opportunities (whose product doesn't compare to ours) as we've chosen to keep our business smaller. Most don't continue in our line of work. I don't claim that's your fault nor a unions fault, I recognize what my burden is. Part of that burden is that sometimes our employees make more on a job than we do nor do I get to take frequent vacations much less in exotic places.

To answer your question concerning who makes a company:
    I recognize that a companies most valuable asset is its employees. As a former employee and manager, I also recognize that many, often most, employees don't hold up their end of that responsibility. And yes I've encountered unionized employees whose ethic was to do what the union allowed them to do opposed to what was best for the customer which by necessity was best for the business the unionized employee was representing.
    What gets lost in these discussions is the most often huge personal risk the business owner (and by necessity the owners family) must take that affords an employee their opportunity to be a valuable asset. What makes an employee irreplaceable? when they are willing to shoulder the same risk and become an owner. Without someone willing to take and maintain the risk of building a company, there are no employees.

What makes a company? a responsibility and fidelity to the best good.
    Both owners and employees (to include unionized employees) have a habit of departing from that.

Walk Your Talk

Quote Originally Posted by WIN.308 View Post
    Good leadership results in successful workers and a prosperous company. Mediocre, run of the mill management breeds the kind of employees we generally find at Home Depot, convenience stores, the Government, etc.
    in general, I've had good experiences with Home Depot employees. Lowes is another story.
    Walk Your Talk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast