a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: super tune or basic

Exclamation super tune or basic

Just a though that I had. There is a lot of talk between a super tune than I guess what we will call regular tune.
    Is the difference up to the pro shop or is there guidelines between the two.
    I do know what my shop does between the two BUT Just wondering what it should entail

I don't know whoever started that 'super tune' crap. Either your bow is properly tuned or it's not properly tuned.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo / Hoyt Spyder 34 / QAD HDX / Center Circle Bow Strings / Hogg-It Wrapped / Bee Stinger / Carter RX1 / Carter Too Simple / Tru Ball HT/ NAP Spitfire 100 gr. / Easton ACC 3-49 / Blazers / ASAT Camo / Jim Beam / Copenhagen / Ford Trucks
    **Don't Tread On Me**

Your shop can set your bow up and set up specs. That's as far as that normally goes on a good visit. What YOU can do though is fine tune the bow to yourself. To your grip. Your shot execution. To your arrows. Or the arrows to the bow. You can do tuning to make the bow the most forgiving it possibly can be for yourself. That's the differences. If you want to call that super tuning, go for it. But in reality all you're doing is going the extra steps to make your set up more accurate on your bad shots.
    http://rcrchery.wordpress.com/
    A one stop area for common topics about form, shot execution, practice, bow set up, and much more.

I agree with the so called "super tuned" label. Either you're arrows are going where your aiming or their not. If your a hunter, then the most important "tune" is broadhead tuning. If your field points and fixed broadheads group together or your can hit your mark with either out to your last pin (I've tore up too many arrows by grouping) then your bow's tune is ready to go for you. Even if you shoot mechanicals and never shoot a fixed blade, I highly recommend to broadhead tune with a fixed blade because they front steer the worst and can show the smallest problem with your bow's tuning.

"super tunes", in general, are nothing more than marketing hype'd processes. I've seen way too many super tune offers where they simply set the bow up as the should...nothing special.

It doesn't matter if the bow is set up "true" or not, what matters is how YOU shoot. I know if I get my bow "super tuned" by my bowsmith, it won't shoot where I want it to shoot. It will shoot well, group well but not great and not anywhere near where the pin is...we're just that different. So, I just do it myself now. I'll get his advice but that's about it.

Now, for someone that has no idea how to tune and doesn't have access to a press or have time to dedicate to the tuning process then and if the tuner has you standing there then the super tune very well may be worth it. But if it's a send it in and we'll tune it...save your money.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

Quote Originally Posted by BowKil View Post
    I don't know whoever started that 'super tune' crap. Either your bow is properly tuned or it's not properly tuned.
    100% correct!!! Best advice is do it yourself, it's hard to find a shop that will take the time to really get you properly tuned, there are shops that do, don't get me wrong, but not many, Iv been shooting over 30 years and have yet to find a shop that makes me happy when it comes to tuning.

whats bow tuning anyway? Cam timing, yoke tune, draw length, centershot, nock hight, nock oritation, tie a peep in and get the oritation correct add a d loop, check set tiller. shot it in settle the cables retime the cams and yoke, set doz shafts up for the game match the weights to a +/- .1 grain.

Personal tune that only the archer can do , paper tune set the stabilizers get the bow to aim. Play with tiller shoot about 500 shots check everything again.
    Tune the sight 2nd axi 3rd axis set up set your sights shot some angles, make sure your group and sight is tracking a streight line over several distances.

If you can do this there is no point getting someone else to tune your kit.

also play with timing to get the wall to get the feel I want to get through the hinge.

Supertuning is one of those fad terms that probably originated right here on Archery talk. There is no such thing in my opinion, your bow is either tuned right or it isnt. The problem is that many shops now are sloppy and dont know how to tune bows properly, so people feel like they have to do something extra to make their bow shoot to its full potential. I have been tuning bows for years, and every bow that leaves my hands is "supertuned" because it is tuned right, and shooting to its fullest potential as far as speed and timing. Dont get caught up in the hype, find a good shop that knows what they are doing or buy a press and experiment for yourself.
    Harvest Brown Hoyt Nitrum 30/ Easton ACC Pro Hunting Series/ Grave Digger Broadheads
    Blackout Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30/ Easton FMJ's/ Grave Digger D6 Broadheads
    No Limit Archery Field Staff

correct... its either tuned or not. now i think some call a half ***** tune regular and someone that spends extra time getting every single FPS out of the bow a super tune...

but i believe in tuning for bareshaft or broadheads to hit together to be a IN TUNE bow myself...
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Ditto!!!!
    Exo Mountain Backpacks
    Darton Archery
    Lone Wolf
    Havalon Torch
    Kifaru

Don't let this get up in General Discussion or you'll start WWIII...

If people would worry more about "tuning" themselves they'd be a lot better off.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver Pro, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Deuce, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Stinger
    with Stinger back bars.

My thought.

There is some confusion with setup and tune that may be valid.

Setup is the process of getting the bow ready for tuning. It starts with getting the centershot, ATA, BH, sync, and especially DL/timing, to your personal requirements. Many/most shooters could probably get that perfect from a good bow techie. Tuning is the minor adjustments needed to adapt the setup conditions to your actual release, grip, shafts, BH, etc. Nobody can actually do that but the shooter. Many techs can assist, but the guy taking the shot has to do that himself.
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's