a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Course management?

Course management?

I hear a lot of the top end shooters say who ever manages the course better will win. I some what understand the concept. Do u play it safe on longer targets and go for it on shorter. I only shot ibo this year but want to also shoot Asa next year. Out of all the tournaments I shot this year I would say 85% or more of my targets where at 40yards or further, that seems hard to manage.
    My question is how do you guys "manage" a 3d course? Do you tend to "manage" an ibo course different than an Asa?

Thanks

One thing that I did this year that really helped is I began cutting out squares of card board that I could draw four 10 rings on. I then draw a low back 12 on each of them and i use a black sharpie that leaves a line about 1/16 of a inch line. I can't see the lines when I am back from 40 yards and farther so I have to use my binos to look at the target and get a spot in my head to aim at. I simply don't shoot at spots anymore, I shoot at asa scoring rings all the time and it allows me to get used to aiming at the 12 ring and at the same time staying in the 10 ring and never dropping out or missing off to the side.
    Socket Man

To me, course management is know when and when not to go for the shot, bonus point. Target, distance, layout all plays into this. And like Padgett noted, by in my words, pick a spot and "place" the arrow gives that extra that might add to your total.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver Pro, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Deuce, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Stinger
    with Stinger back bars.

in order to properly "manage" a course one must be completely honest with ones self about their ability to make this one specific shot laid out in front of them. Do I have the yardage, do I have a spot or reference, how am i feeling about my ability right now are all questions I ask as soon as I step to a target. I beleive strongly that a competative shooter must beleive he/she can hit every 12(or 11) on the range before entering the course, and carry that confidence to every target but yet be able to be honest with one self about each individual shot. If I make the conscious decision to aim center 10 on this target i do it with full intentions of hitting that, without thinking of dropping into the 12. If it happens its a happy coincidence. Knowing when and when not to go after those low/high 12's can keep you safe in the 10 ring, but trying to be safe all the time will drop you out of the running.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, it is a habit.