Thread: Front End Weighted bolts

Front End Weighted bolts

What happens if I use a heavy tip on my bolt (field or broadheads)? Does having a heavier tip create a more stable flight? What are the pluses and the negatives about heavier front end bolts?

more stable flight yes.. alot more momentum + .... increase on trajectory Negative ...
    2009 Matthew's Reezen 6.5, 72#-29" , fixed single pin, NO peep sight
    2005 Diamond Triumph, 70#-29" , fixed single pin, NO peep sight

It's generally believed that you get better penetration if your bolts "FOC" (forward of center) is further forward - ie, run a heavier broadhead so that the center of mass of the bolt (which is what is measured in FOC) is further forward.

The way I think about broadhead weight is by thinking of throwing a hammer at something. Say you want to do a lot of damage when the hammer gets there...

Do you go heavy or light? Heavy obviously.
    Do you want the weight up front or back? Well, what's going to do more damage, a hammer hitting handle first or head first? Head first (ie, heavy mass first)
    Is the wind going to blow a heavy hammer or a light hammer off course more? Heavy will be affected less.

The downside: you have to throw a heavier hammer harder (or in this case, the arrow is moving slower so it will drop quicker as it flies).
    2011 PSE Axe 6: 60# / 27.75" DL - AXT Primal X5 - Trophy Ridge Revolution 2.0 - Scott Mongoose XT - 27.5" 300 spine Easton FMJ 580 grain - strings from www.newlevelarchery.com
    2014 Barnett Vengeance Crossbow: 20" 2219 Easton XX75 bolts
    2001 Martin Jaguar: 65# / 28" DL - 29" 340 Spine Easton FMJ 500 grain

Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocket89 View Post
    It's generally believed that you get better penetration if your bolts "FOC" (forward of center) is further forward - ie, run a heavier broadhead so that the center of mass of the bolt (which is what is measured in FOC) is further forward.

The way I think about broadhead weight is by thinking of throwing a hammer at something. Say you want to do a lot of damage when the hammer gets there...

Do you go heavy or light? Heavy obviously.
    Do you want the weight up front or back? Well, what's going to do more damage, a hammer hitting handle first or head first? Head first (ie, heavy mass first)
    Is the wind going to blow a heavy hammer or a light hammer off course more? Heavy will be affected less.

The downside: you have to throw a heavier hammer harder (or in this case, the arrow is moving slower so it will drop quicker as it flies).
    re

Great explanation
    TKS
    G