Thread: Dry fired Hoyt Charger

Dry fired Hoyt Charger

Deer season opens in 25 days. I had my bow tuned perfectly (2013 Hoyt Charger). Although its my first bow and all of my knowledge has really been learned in the last year, I thought i did a pretty good job. I was confident enough to shoot 50 yards with broad heads. Then, my fiancee's brother,drunk, decides to pick up my bow, draw it and dry fire it. It shot my peep off. I was so worried that I took it into the pro shop for evaluation. They said that everything looked fine. So I took it back out after fixing the peep and I notice right away that the arrows are landing right and low. I had the pro shop paper tune me again. Then I took it home and shot a bunch to find out that my arrows don't have that straight in to the target penetration and that my shots are super erratic. Im running out of time. Any advise would be great. 2013 Hoyt Charger, 28.5 draw, 62lbs, 400 arrows.

Paper tune it in your hands and check timing and sight in again. Should be good to go again.

is your peep position the same as before? does it seem to be twisting more when you draw. This may denote a torn string or cable underneath the serving If the draw length seems a bit longer or shorter now I would consider a new string set. Also check the cable guard to see if the dry fire knocked it out of position
    MLC

It did seem to twist more. I put back exactly how it was before. I had marks where it should go. Im not sure about the cable guard. To be honest I had to google what it was. Do you have a thread I can go to? Cant seem to find anything.

I'm assuming you stomped a mudhole....
    Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600
    #60 2003 Realtree Hoyt xt2000 Ultratec 6.0 spirals

-WTB- 2003 Flame Anno Ultratec! Any limbs, any cams. Riser only OK!

That was the thing about it. Fiances brother. I had to tell him it was no big deal...

Fiances brother or not it is a big deal! He would be paying for the fix!!!

Since your distance will be at most 35 maybe 40 yards... follow this for your quick tune:

Do this first:

Then this:

Good luck.
    2014 Hoyt Blackout Carbon Spyder 30 - DW 59lb, DL 26"
    HHA DS-XL5519
    QAD HDX
    T.R.U Ball Short-N-Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by vinnybin View Post
    Deer season opens in 25 days. I'm running out of time. Any advise would be great. 2013 Hoyt Charger, 28.5 draw, 62lbs, 400 arrows.
    I've had a couple nocks go, the same as a dry fire, on several Hoyt bows. I have six at all times, and shoot year round. I've never had a single limb failure. I have had a couple sets of cam bearings go, but I am not sure that was the issue.

Your peep was off. Did you replace it in the same set of strands? Probably not.
    It's been really hot lately, have you been shooting inside, or out in the heat? Every set of rigging on the planet needs a turn from time to time, especially in hot weather.

This past week I noticed my peep was walking on a set of original Hoyt rigging. It moved a quarter turn in one session, and I put a half turn on the bottom, fixed. Next day, it was a quarter turn out again. I backed the limbs out 5 turns each, went upstairs, and called Prostrings for a new set of cables and string. I have no doubt there is a broken strand some where. When a string goes it doesn't change a bit, it changes a lot, and fast, you don't need to look closely.

My advise is don't panic, and when you see a decent pre-owned bow on AT classifieds that fits your DL/PW needs, get a spare. When you have a decent spare, you never need to panic. I have five, I never worry.
    Hoyt's
    Hogg's
    Quick Spin's