a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: This Guy Proves Itís Crazy to Be Atheist With One Simple and Hilarious Question - Tod

I'm a believer but For arguments sake lets say I'm wrong nothing lost I spent my life praying at times going to church and making an effort to do nice things in vein. Lets say an atheist is wrong well you get the point! I think its very arrogant to say with 100% certainty you know exactly how things went down 1000s or millions of years ago because science that we created says so also I think its probably a bit nieve to think every detail of the Bible is exactly how we interpret it. But for me there is only a very few things that are of meaning and standing on top of a mountain or watching things transpire in my own life have led me to "have a certain level of faith required".

Quote Originally Posted by bghunter7777 View Post
    I'm a believer but For arguments sake lets say I'm wrong nothing lost I spent my life praying at times going to church and making an effort to do nice things in vein. Lets say an atheist is wrong well you get the point! I think its very arrogant to say with 100% certainty you know exactly how things went down 1000s or millions of years ago because science that we created says so also I think its probably a bit nieve to think every detail of the Bible is exactly how we interpret it. But for me there is only a very few things that are of meaning and standing on top of a mountain or watching things transpire in my own life have led me to "have a certain level of faith required".
    Nothing wrong with that, if it's the way you see things. Do you feel this should be taught in school as science?
    "'Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise': thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents."

Quote Originally Posted by DougKMN View Post

We truly are insignificant in the universe.
    Then everything is insignificant... You can't possibly know that!

I'm a believer but For arguments sake lets say I'm wrong nothing lost I spent my life praying at times going to church and making an effort to do nice things in vein.
    Do these "nice things" include persecuting minorities because you thought it would secure you a spot in heaven? That's really the part I have an issue with.

Lets say an atheist is wrong well you get the point!
    To make such a point you would have to be the judge of all mankind ...are you the one who decides? What if it's not the god of your faith, but another? Will you feel slighted?
    Wouldn't a truly noble person do good in their life without any promise of being rewarded for their efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by loujo61 View Post
    On a universal scale, this is true.

How significant is a single grain of sand on some beach on the planet? The difference between the entire planet and that grain of sand is TINY compared that of the universe compared to the earth.

It is incredibly arrogant to think we are somehow significant in this universe.
    The beginning of wisdom is admitting "I don't know"

No kidding. I like to make the comparison to you being concerned about how a single bacteria in your gut behaves. If that bacteria doesn't worship you, do you care?

The thing is, the scalar difference between you and a single gut bacteria is TINY compared to the difference between an entity that supposedly created the universe and a person.

Comparing earth to a grain of sand, and the universe is the entire planet, would also be disproportionate to this difference.

We truly are insignificant in the universe.
    Really?
    Which one of your kids would you give up for the opportunity to create a universe?
    Walk Your Talk

Why? Why do we have to be the center of attention? How is that magnificent significance of ours playing out, what significant role do we play in the daily function of the universe? Will the universe suddenly implode upon itself if we were to vanish? You have no meaning to the universe, how could you? We're an unrequited byproduct of the collisions between maelstrom and chaos. And one day, all this too will vanish in the fickle winds of galactic evolution.
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by cobowhntr View Post
    Really?
    Which one of your kids would you give up for the opportunity to create a universe?
    In the realm of proud straw people and those sneaky scotsmen and universally moot questions that may or may not be rhetorical gold..., where do you see this question in the pantheon of arguable sorties?
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

On a universal scale, this is true.

How significant is a single grain of sand on some beach on the planet? The difference between the entire planet and that grain of sand is TINY compared that of the universe compared to the earth.

It is incredibly arrogant to think we are somehow significant in this universe.

If the universe was smaller you could believe in a creator? I think not. You would complain if God was so great He would have made the universe larger!

As a human you have limited resources. The Creator of the universe has unlimited resources. If you have the ability to create enough material to bring the entire earth into existence, why would you believe it wouldn't scale?

Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    Why? Why do we have to be the center of attention? How is that magnificent significance of ours playing out, what significant role do we play in the daily function of the universe? Will the universe suddenly implode upon itself if we were to vanish? You have no meaning to the universe, how could you? We're an unrequited byproduct of the collisions between maelstrom and chaos. And one day, all this too will vanish in the fickle winds of galactic evolution.
    We are part of it so we have meaning. We are the life as far as the eye can see. Your imagination may see farther but that's speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBlake View Post
    Do these "nice things" include persecuting minorities because you thought it would secure you a spot in heaven? That's really the part I have an issue with.

To make such a point you would have to be the judge of all mankind ...are you the one who decides? What if it's not the god of your faith, but another? Will you feel slighted?
    Wouldn't a truly noble person do good in their life without any promise of being rewarded for their efforts?
    I'm not but if atheist are wrong and their is a God then he is and assuming if their is a God and the Bible is derived from him the words "Depart from me I never knew you will be unpleasant to say the least" God says everyone will have the opportunity to hear well consider this your opportunity. In the rare outside chance that you are wrong don't be *****ing on that day you didn't know.

We are part of it so we have meaning. We are the life as far as the eye can see. Your imagination may see farther but that's speculation.
    ...which is only to the horizon if you have a hay bale with a view. You have meaning as far as your concerned. The universe doesn't give a rats patoot about you, we mean nothing to it. The universe doesn't do meaning.

...which is only to the horizon if you have a hay bale with a view. You have meaning as far as your concerned. The universe doesn't give a rats patoot about you, we mean nothing to it. The universe doesn't do meaning.

If that were true there would still be meaning in the universe's aloofness.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    If that were true there would still be meaning in the universe's aloofness.
    ...only 87 pages to go, we should pace ourselves.

In the realm of proud straw people and those sneaky scotsmen and universally moot questions that may or may not be rhetorical gold..., where do you see this question in the pantheon of arguable sorties?
    Brilliant!!
    I see it as a bunker buster, not really part of the standard payload, none the less it shows up or should whenever said bunker is spotted attempting to obfuscate the argument. (I'm out of my league, I know. it really was brilliant)

I've noticed the sneaky ones haven't really a land of their own as of late.......
    Walk Your Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Stick12 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    Your objection is exactly what I claimed it would be. You are afraid to discuss intelligent design because it might lead to a creator. Your response is to prove a creator before you'll even consider evidence for one.

Do you see your flaw in your thinking?

I don't consult creation websites for scientific insights. I realize that it would make it convenient for you to dismiss whatever I say.

You didn't mention the arrowheads. You believe those are intelligently designed?
    no matter what, they'll attempt to dismiss what you say. you can lead a horse to water....

Quote Originally Posted by cobowhntr View Post
    Brilliant!!
    I see it as a bunker buster, not really part of the standard payload, none the less it shows up or should whenever said bunker is spotted attempting to obfuscate the argument. (I'm out of my league, I know. it really was brilliant)

I've noticed the sneaky ones haven't really a land of their own as of late.......
    Let's go get a beer and discuss the relative merits of sunsets and whether or not sea foam should be considered a color or a gasoline additive. None of the timothy tufted invertebrates nor members of the plaid skirt wearing crowd need join us.

I hear so often how we as a society and human race are progressing and becoming better "evolving" I don't dismiss this my iphone is pretty sweet that being said if people 1000s of years a ago are borderline neanderthals how is the Bible so well written and prophetic even from secular sources the Bible is often used as an amazing piece of literature. It would appear to me that is a hell of a feat for such a less evolved race.

Let's go get a beer and discuss the relative merits of sunsets and whether or not sea foam should be considered a color or a gasoline additive. None of the timothy tufted invertebrates nor members of the plaid skirt wearing crowd need join us.
    Andre
    He was over in Maine but youreallthesamecountry up thataway says me. They said everybody came to see him so I figured you being somebody......

care not for the color, the additive seems fairly trick, so maybe the question is whether it should be atop ocean waves..........
    Walk Your Talk

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213