Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Hunter Class in IBO

Pro Hunter Class in IBO

I read on Archery Wire that the IBO will add two new classes for 2015.
    Pro Hunter Class will have a $145 entry fee and be 45 yds max.
    I didn't see anything about equipment requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@WO View Post
    I read on Archery Wire that the IBO will add two new classes for 2015.
    Pro Hunter Class will have a $145 entry fee and be 45 yds max.
    I didn't see anything about equipment requirements.
    same as HC and AHC

I don't see PHC ever amounting to much. Sure some manufacturers may promote it initially but ultimately it becomes irrelevant........ just like the rest of the IBO.

I fully expect there will be a "splash" with big names flying around and manufacturers throwing money at folks but I just don't understand how making a "Pro Hunter" division is going to grow the IBO. If there is a decent amount of money in the class all that is going to happen is the other "Pro" divisions will become diluted.

The IBO says they are not about "target" archery but then they turn around and make another "Pro" division. Pro classes are ALL about target archery! Making money shooting targets in no way shape or form has anything to do with hunting.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstigall View Post
    I don't see PHC ever amounting to much. Sure some manufacturers may promote it initially but ultimately it becomes irrelevant........ just like the rest of the IBO.

I fully expect there will be a "splash" with big names flying around and manufacturers throwing money at folks but I just don't understand how making a "Pro Hunter" division is going to grow the IBO. If there is a decent amount of money in the class all that is going to happen is the other "Pro" divisions will become diluted.

The IBO says they are not about "target" archery but then they turn around and make another "Pro" division. Pro classes are ALL about target archery! Making money shooting targets in no way shape or form has anything to do with hunting.
    I can't see the big names shooting that class unless there is more $$$ in it for them. I can see a splash of HC and AHC shooting it just so they can call themselves pro's. I don't see the point other than to make the other classes smaller. Your top MBR shooters will mostly make a jump. Next years thread will read its not fair that " enter a known pros name here" shot at event X and took all my money and that they need to stay in their own division. Just another bad move by the IBO

Not the classes I would have thought of being added.
    Rockingham Coop Pro Staff,
    Gold Tip, Vane Tec, AEP
    Double R Custom Bowstrings
    Coffey Marketing Pro Staff

Haters. That's all I'm hearing. While the only class that might add people would be some known classes. Pbh is not a bad thing. I for hope that all the top dudes from ahc and mbr shoot in that class. The money in ahc is a joke and mbr is a joke also. I Damn near win the same money at a state level shoot in michigan. Let me ask you this. What is wrong with the top pin shooters having a pins class. Not everyone likes a scope or long bars. And I highly doubt anyone will pay that money just to say I'm a pro. And doubt that anyone all ready shooting open pro will leave for pins. But if they do. Cool. Besides. It's a bow hunting organization. So pro bow hunter makes sense to me.

Won't the top AHC shooters be forced in to it? AHC only had around 70 shooters at the worlds compared to hundreds in HC. I don't see that going away, that's where the biggest prize money is right?

They will have the class, some people will shoot it, but you are going to run into the same problems K50 runs into in ASA...people are going to say "It's a pro class, why isn't there any manufacturers contingency money???"

Quote Originally Posted by deer down View Post
    Haters. That's all I'm hearing. While the only class that might add people would be some known classes. Pbh is not a bad thing. I for hope that all the top dudes from ahc and mbr shoot in that class. The money in ahc is a joke and mbr is a joke also. I Damn near win the same money at a state level shoot in michigan. Let me ask you this. What is wrong with the top pin shooters having a pins class. Not everyone likes a scope or long bars. And I highly doubt anyone will pay that money just to say I'm a pro. And doubt that anyone all ready shooting open pro will leave for pins. But if they do. Cool. Besides. It's a bow hunting organization. So pro bow hunter makes sense to me.
    Not hating here..... I love shooting pins and I really loved shooting pins when I could see half way decent. I just don't see how a PHC will do anything for the IBO unless a sponsor is paying them. I'm almost willing to bet a paying sponsor is behind the creation of PHC because there doesn't seem to be a current market for it. Is BowTech or another dedicated hunting product manufacturer backing the PHC? We shall see..............

"And I highly doubt anyone will pay that money just to say I'm a pro." I know people will do it especially if there aren't too many other shooters. That way they can finish in the top 10 at most every shoot! Not hard to do when there are only 15 shooters.

If you want to actually win a little $$ then you have to shoot ASA but you'll be up against a LOT of archers!

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_in_MA View Post
    They will have the class, some people will shoot it, but you are going to run into the same problems K50 runs into in ASA...people are going to say "It's a pro class, why isn't there any manufacturers contingency money???"
    Because the name does NOT really matter. Contingency money will come when it is worth it to a sponsor. K50 is just now getting it's legs.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

What's the other one?
    Hoyt Ultra Elite Spiral X
    Hoyt Katera XL hunting
    X-Fire Strings

Quote Originally Posted by PETeach View Post
    What's the other one?
    Senior women's hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by hrtlnd164 View Post
    Senior women's hunter.
    Thanks
    Hoyt Ultra Elite Spiral X
    Hoyt Katera XL hunting
    X-Fire Strings

i would love to shoot some asa nationals, but the travel time is a bigger commitment. So i shoot the ibo and take the good with the bad, and dont quote on this, i know 100% that this class idea was started with wesley vanhorn and i believe that there will be some sponsor money for this class by archery manufacturers. the thing is alot of people say this wont help grow the ibo, and i partially agree but it seems they cry about it cause they didnt get the class they wanted. put in the time and effort that wes did and maybe your class will happen. I would love to see more people at the shoots, wether you want to shoot known or unknown, were all bowhunters. also i think they could stand to lose a few classes. but im sure someone would cry about that also, cant please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstigall View Post
    With all due respect the ibo is alive an well in the North east. Are they perfect? Heck no. Growing like ASA? maybe not but still getting good turnouts. ASA could be considered irrelevant up here. They do not have a presence. I know a lot of people like ASA and I'm not knocking them but many in the NE cannot swing travelling to ASA country. I know people worked hard to get enough signatures to get this class added. Perhaps if people worked hard to get enough signatures for known yardage classes they might give it a try but of course the ASA fans have already written IBO off.

Quote Originally Posted by nochance View Post
    With all due respect the ibo is alive an well in the North east. Are they perfect? Heck no. Growing like ASA? maybe not but still getting good turnouts. ASA could be considered irrelevant up here. They do not have a presence. I know a lot of people like ASA and I'm not knocking them but many in the NE cannot swing travelling to ASA country. I know people worked hard to get enough signatures to get this class added. Perhaps if people worked hard to get enough signatures for known yardage classes they might give it a try but of course the ASA fans have already written IBO off.
    Well said.
    4 Time IBO World Champion almost 5!
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder turbo 28.5" 60#
    Black eagle Challengers
    Stan Just X release
    Shrewd stabilizers and scope

I can say I've shot pro, semi pro and hc and ahc and enjoyed the ahc top level shooters more than any others. Many talented guys willing to help others than I have ever seen in this sport for 20 plus years.
    Black eagle Challengers
    Stan Just X release

Sad day.

I have no objections to the addition of these two classes. I honestly don't see the draw for a PHC, but I'm all for any experiment that may grow the attendance at these shoots.

I'm just extremely disappointed that the IBO leadership missed the opportunity to add Known Yardage classes and vastly improve the attendance at the events. Just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by nochance View Post
    Problem is, they aren't growing at all. Look back ten years at the numbers in any IBO class and look at them now; it's a huge dropoff. Kudos to those that wanted the Pro Hunter class added and worked for it, I applaud the effort, but it needed effort to want to add that class. There is really no comparable class except in Regions, and that has been a failure. When it comes to known yardage, just look at the numbers in the ASA classes. To me it would be a no brainer to add those classes and gain those shooters. I want the IBO to succeed, it's basically the only game we have up here unless we travel to ASA country, but I guess I'll leave it to say that I would do things differently.
    60X Custom Strings, T.R.U. Ball, Bohning, , Athens Archery
    Cunningham Business Enterprises - Authorized Athens Archery Dealer - PM me with questions!

PHC should shoot 50 yards on the pro course. I don't see them setting a 45 yard.

Quote Originally Posted by stoz View Post
    I can say I've shot pro, semi pro and hc and ahc and enjoyed the ahc top level shooters more than any others. Many talented guys willing to help others than I have ever seen in this sport for 20 plus years.
    I'll second that, I've shot the worlds in AHC four times and the guys I've shot with have been very nice, helpful, and tolerant of my crappy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by deer down View Post
    Makes sense to me as well!!! I am a bowhunter. I've been shooting MBR for a few years now because I like shooting pins (never could adjust to a scope for 3D). Until this class came along I didn't really have anywhere to go from there and even though I've never won the class I've been close to the top of it last couple years. I hope it is a success!!
    JACKSON BOWHUNTERS

BOWJUNKIE STRINGS AND CABLES

So has any of the people that are up in arms for a known class spear headed a petition or campaign to add these classes or is it just easy to type and complain?
    Black eagle Challengers
    Stan Just X release

I view it as a capacity problem. the northern triple crown shoots set A-P courses which is 16 ranges with 10 targets each. if they had 400 shooters, there would be 16 ranges. If there are 2000 shooters my guess is it would be the same. from what I can tell, there are 1000-1300 shooters and the ranges are maxed out for most of the days.

the only thing that keeps me from going back to the ibo big events are the waits and the time needed to shoot a whole 40. I absolutely detest waiting 3-4 groups deep at a stake to only take one shot, then repeat at the next stake. there are no additional classes that will help this, they just need to set more ranges to spread out the shooters already there. If they can get the shooting times down to 4 hours, it would perhaps allow people to shoot more than one class. For instance, I would shoot a compound class then grab a recurve and some friends and have a go at another round. When I travel 4 hours to a shoot, it would be nice to be able to shoot more than 40 arrows for score over the time span of a whole weekend.

Dear IBO: try this... figure out a way to allow people to spend more time moving and shooting than sitting around in their chairs. In fact, is it possible to have a shoot where they don't need to lug around a chair?
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

couple of questions, if a guy shoots pbh will he have to shoot open pro in asa? and a less serious note could anyone drop down from open pro and knock out ol wes if thats even possible. i love shooting pins and alot of practice goes into gaping and holding with short bars,still not ready to go the easy route with lens,sight and long bars. pbh for me next yr.

How will this new class draw in more shooters to IBO events?

The numbers will remain the same, the only difference will be current IBO shooters switching classes.

If there is a need to create additional classes, create classes that will draw in new shooters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast