a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Officer Will Not Be Charged For Killing Napster Exec

Police Officer Will Not Be Charged For Killing Napster Exec

While Texting And Driving — Because It's Apparently OK For Police To Do That

Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy Andrew Wood will not be charged for fatally running over former Napster COO Milton Olin Jr. in his patrol car while the officer was typing a message into his computer.

The instance exposes the different way that law enforcement officials are treated versus civilians in cases where a person is killed because of texting while driving.

It's illegal to text and drive in California; the state has a specific law against it. Civilians caught doing it can expect to face charges. But a report from the Los Angeles District Attorney's office shows that the rules may be applied differently to cops
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/police...095951755.html

cops should be held to at LEAST the same standards as civilians are.

Ridiculous.

The keyboards should be automatically disabled while the vehicle is in motion.
    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"Anything in life worth doing, is worth overdoing...Moderation is for cowards." Shane Patton, Lone Survivor

Bad deal.
    Happy the man and happy he alone; he who can call today his own; he who secure within can say, "tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today."--John Dryden
    "I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."--Thomas Jefferson

So a cop can now negligently kill someone without consequence? Brilliant.

complete and utter bullhonkus , he was texting his wife, and another officer, so ya know they said it was in the scope of his duty, one question, when the police need to talk to each other , umm Dont they have RADIOS, I think they do. sad for everyone involved.
    Boomer Sooner

Quote Originally Posted by atennishu View Post
    complete and utter bullhonkus , he was texting his wife, and another officer, so ya know they said it was in the scope of his duty, one question, when the police need to talk to each other , umm Dont they have RADIOS, I think they do. sad for everyone involved.
    What's even better is they (the police) then lied and said he swerved into the car's lane. How do these people sleep at night?

Police are expected to do many things while driving that cause distraction...talking on the radio....old school was writing down the address of where you were being dispatched too (this now comes via the MDC computer but in the past officers were expected to write down the address while driving at high rates of speed with lights and sirens blaring in the cases of emergency dispatches.) Distracted driving has always been a part of LE requirements since the day the car was first used in patrol. It is part of the duty whether the average citizen agrees with it or not...
    Venison its whats for dinner
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie_Hunter View Post
    Ridiculous.

Yup....my TomTom GPS for the work fan does that. I am sure a police computer could do the same.
    I tried to add a signature but my pen ruined the screen

Unless I read wrong the texting was minutes before the accident...he could have been out on foot or not driving when that occurred but everyone always makes assumptions when officers are involved....
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

Quote Originally Posted by snoman4 View Post
    Police are expected to do many things while driving that cause distraction...talking on the radio....old school was writing down the address of where you were being dispatched too (this now comes via the MDC computer but in the past officers were expected to write down the address while driving at high rates of speed with lights and sirens blaring in the cases of emergency dispatches. Distracted driving has always been a part of LE requirements since the day the car was first used in patrol. It is part of the duty whether the average citizen agrees with it or not...
    how about firing him for being one POS liar? false report filed by him
    In a statement taken at the scene, Wood claimed that Olin had veered into his lane. The DA reported that the opposite was true.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie_Hunter View Post
    Ridiculous.

That's an awesome idea, just like the dvd player wont work on the front dash unless the car is parked and the e-brake is applied
    ~ 2013 PSE Stinger 3G HP in Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity ~ 60 pound draw weight ~ 27.5 inch draw length ~ LEFT HANDED ~ HHA Optimizer Lite OL-5510 with 2nd/3rd axis adjustment ~ QAD HDX ~
    ~ TRU Ball BossX 4-Finger ~ BeeStinger 8inch Sport Hunter Xtreme ~ HogWire String & Cable ~ Carbon Express Maxima Hunters 250 ~ QAD Exodus 100 grain swept blades ~

Unless I read wrong the texting was minutes before the accident...he could have been out on foot or not driving when that occurred but everyone always makes assumptions when officers are involved....
    Isn't it worse if he wasn't distracted?? Like he intentionally killed someone?

well, if thats true, then it makes it worse, guess if your just not paying attention and run over someone , that makes it all right. I know that police have alot of distractions when driving, and it is an extremely hard job. But you still have to be responsible for your actions. You cant just say " oops" sorry I killed you.
    Boomer Sooner

Police are expected to do many things while driving that cause distraction...talking on the radio....old school was writing down the address of where you were being dispatched too (this now comes via the MDC computer but in the past officers were expected to write down the address while driving at high rates of speed with lights and sirens blaring in the cases of emergency dispatches.) Distracted driving has always been a part of LE requirements since the day the car was first used in patrol. It is part of the duty whether the average citizen agrees with it or not...
    It maybe part of the job but it is not a reasonable excuse to veer into another lane(bike lane) and kill some one.

Answering an email is not a life threatening police call. Therefore these answering within the scope of an offers duty needs to be looked at.
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

Life is about balance. Be kind, but don't let people abuse you. Trust, but don't be deceived. Be content, but never stop improving yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    how about firing him for being one POS liar? false report filed by him
    The lying is wrong....I dont agree with that and he should be held accountable for that...just all the armchair quarterbacking for the distracted driving when that is a part of police work...

well, if thats true, then it makes it worse, guess if your just not paying attention and run over someone , that makes it all right. I know that police have alot of distractions when driving, and it is an extremely hard job. But you still have to be responsible for your actions. You cant just say " oops" sorry I killed you.
    Exactly!

Life is about balance. Be kind, but don't let people abuse you. Trust, but don't be deceived. Be content, but never stop improving yourself.

The lying is wrong....I dont agree with that and he should be held accountable for that...just all the armchair quarterbacking for the distracted driving when that is a part of police work...
    That is an utter COP out ( PUn haha) to say arm chair quarter backing. You guys freaking work for us and as a citizen If find what You cops are doing is wrong by god I ought to be able to f'ing tell you so..

That cops messed up and should be held accountable. For you to even think that hitting a persons on bicycle cause you were answering an email that wasn't in any way life engendering email is utter BS.

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    Isn't it worse if he wasn't distracted?? Like he intentionally killed someone?
    He had texted his wife minutes before the accident....he was typing a response on his computer to another officer when the accident happened so he was acting within the scope of his duty...he may have been immediately dispatched to another call that was holding while he was on the scene of the other and in response to it...We dont know because the article gives scant detail....Lots of assumptions are being made....

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    That is an utter COP out ( PUn haha) to say arm chair quarter backing. You guys freaking work for us and as a citizen If find what You cops are doing is wrong by god I ought to be able to f'ing tell you so..

That cops messed up and should be held accountable. For you to even think that hitting a persons on bicycle cause you were answering an email that wasn't in any way life engendering email is utter BS.
    Bingo!

We are the employers, heck, they dont even have a duty to protect us anymore,
    http://www.copblock.org/27067/police...o-protect-you/
    Boomer Sooner

find a parking lot or pull off to the side of the road like you're supposed to.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

He had texted his wife minutes before the accident....he was typing a response on his computer to another officer when the accident happened so he was acting within the scope of his duty...he may have been immediately dispatched to another call that was holding while he was on the scene of the other and in response to it...We dont know because the article gives scant detail....Lots of assumptions are being made....
    he answered an email about whether any more cops were needed to show up at the School fire that that officers who killed a cyclist had just left.....

Wood drifted into the bicycle lane while typing a reply to a colleague who wanted to know whether any other officers were required to attend a fire reported at a high school he had just left. He was trying to tell the other officer that no further backup was needed.
    from the OP link

Wood, a 16-year department veteran, sent six text messages from his personal cellphone to a Camarillo phone number on Dec. 8 between 1 p.m. and 1:04 p.m, according to subpoenaed cellphone records attached to an affidavit in support of a search warrant filed with Los Angeles Superior Court in May. The last of those six text messages he sent was at 1:04 p.m. and it was received by the recipient at 1:05 p.m., which was the approximate time the department said the collision occurred, according to records.

However, it was not clear Monday whether Wood was in fact texting while driving or whether it was a factor in the collision. The deputy was returning from a call at nearby Calabasas High School — less than a mile from where Olin was struck.

“Witnesses who were in a vehicle directly behind Deputy Wood’s radio car at the time of the collision told investigators that the radio car failed to negotiate the left curve in the roadway and proceeded straight into the bicycle lane,” wrote Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Detective Russell A. Townsley in the affidavit seeking the cellphone records. “The witnesses also stated that they did not see any brake lights on the radio car until after they saw Mr. Olin’s body in the air.”
    Form this link http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...t-in-calabasas

Read my last response....He should be held accountable for the lying...

We wont agree with the rest because you have never worked as a police officer to understand what they actually do on an everyday basis. His department should also have to pay monetary damages to the the family of the guy killed.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/police...095951755.html

cops should be held to at LEAST the same standards as civilians are.
    Laws are for everyone.... including slugs......slug-with-trail.jpg

he answered an email about whether any more cops were needed to show up at the School fire that that officers who killed a cyclist had just left.....

from the OP link

Form this link http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...t-in-calabasas
    Much better link than the original posted since it has a few more facts....

You posted exactly what I said...he was answering a message from colleagues about the call he had just cleared...He had just left that scene...it doesnt say in either article whether he might have been enroute to another call....typically officers go from one call to the next as others are being held while they clear another scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury90flier View Post
    find a parking lot or pull off to the side of the road like you're supposed to.
    Sure thing brother ......I'll inform the officers responding to a rape and burglary at your house to pull off in a parking lot when they get a MDC or radio transmission with additional information they need to know to better serve you....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast