a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Officer Will Not Be Charged For Killing Napster Exec

Quote Originally Posted by snoman4 View Post
    Much better link than the original posted since it has a few more facts....

You posted exactly what I said...he was answering a message from colleagues about the call he had just cleared...He had just left that scene...it doesnt say in either article whether he might have been enroute to another call....typically officers go from one call to the next as others are being held while they clear another scene.
    What difference does it make? If officers are involved in traffic accidents, like they are frequently when pursuing someone, why aren't they cited and civilly held liable for reckless endangerment?

Sure thing brother ......I'll inform the officers responding to a rape and burglary at your house to pull off in a parking lot when they get a MDC or radio transmission with additional information they need to know to better serve you....
    You do that brother... tell me.... how often has an officer interrupted a rape, a burglary or an assault in your opinion. What is the average response time, you think for a patrol car to arrive in the suburbs? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 5 minutes... what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by rattus58 View Post
    What difference does it make? If officers are involved in traffic accidents, like they are frequently when pursuing someone, why aren't they cited and civilly held liable for reckless endangerment?
    They are not held responsible because the citizens have given them the power through certain laws enacted to "break" the law when acting under color of law...

Officers are held responsible when they get in accidents and are not acting under the color orf law or within their scope of duties.
    Venison its whats for dinner
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

You do that brother... tell me.... how often has an officer interrupted a rape, a burglary or an assault in your opinion. What is the average response time, you think for a patrol car to arrive in the suburbs? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 5 minutes... what is it?
    It was a hypothetical Rattus and being facetious to Fury...its an old play on the old saying know one wants a LE Officer until they really need one....
    I couldnt tell you how many times officers have interrupted crimes against persons...I am sure many times....The average response time varies greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction depending on time of day and other things beyond the control of anyone..... so trying to say an average response time is fools gold..
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

They are not held responsible because the citizens have given them the power through certain laws enacted to "break" the law when acting under color of law...

Officers are held responsible when they get in accidents and are not acting under the color orf law or within their scope of duties.
    This is where you and I differ... You are not special for any reason. Doesn't mean I don't respect you when you deserve it, but you are certainly no better than any other law abiding citizen.

It was a hypothetical Rattus and being facetious to Fury...its an old play on the old saying know one wants a LE Officer until they really need one....
    I couldnt tell you how many times officers have interrupted crimes against persons...I am sure many times....The average response time varies greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction depending on time of day and other things beyond the control of anyone..... so trying to say an average response time is fools gold..
    That's right... that is why everyone should be in a must issue carry state nationwide. That is why castle laws should be constitutionally mandated.

That's right... that is why everyone should be in a must issue carry state nationwide. That is why castle laws should be constitutionally mandated.
    I agree with that....

Read my last response....He should be held accountable for the lying...

We wont agree with the rest because you have never worked as a police officer to understand what they actually do on an everyday basis. His department should also have to pay monetary damages to the the family of the guy killed.
    And I am saying that he should be held responsible for inattentive driving. Whether he was emailing back or texting. His first job..... is to make damn sure he isn't the one cause the accident. He wasn't paying attention period. Whether he was texting emailing or picking his freaking nose. He killed a man because he was not paying attention period! he should be excused casue it may have been job related. HIS JOB IS TO OBEY THE LAWS AND DRIVING ATTTENTVILY.
    Fair and Balanced with a splash of Sarcasm, and pinch of Reason

Life is about balance. Be kind, but don't let people abuse you. Trust, but don't be deceived. Be content, but never stop improving yourself.

Sure thing brother ......I'll inform the officers responding to a rape and burglary at your house to pull off in a parking lot when they get a MDC or radio transmission with additional information they need to know to better serve you....
    Interesting response...completely straw- typical of the ignorance I hear from much of the LE community these days.

and officers wonder why no one respects them anymore.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

This is where you and I differ... You are not special for any reason. Doesn't mean I don't respect you when you deserve it, but you are certainly no better than any other law abiding citizen.
    The law has made certain aspects of LE special....not the person themselves....we dont differ on anything really since I dont think I am special in any way...Problems with LE Officers come when they start thinking themselves special.

If you dont like the laws then fight to change them...Officers are acting generally under the circumstances afforded to them by the public through the making of these laws....and it isnt just officers either...paramedics, emt, and firefighters all act under these laws....

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKSTER View Post
    And I am saying that he should be held responsible for inattentive driving. Whether he was emailing back or texting. His first job..... is to make damn sure he isn't the one cause the accident. He wasn't paying attention period. Whether he was texting emailing or picking his freaking nose. He killed a man because he was not paying attention period! he should be excused casue it may have been job related. HIS JOB IS TO OBEY THE LAWS AND DRIVING ATTTENTVILY.
    That is where you seem to be not understanding...there are laws that do not apply to certain aspects the job of a LE Officer...EMT...Firefighter... Paramedics.......like breaking certain traffic laws when running code...like distracted driving....IF you dont like that fact petition to change the laws....The public saw fit to give these exceptions to those acting as public safety personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury90flier View Post
    Interesting response...completely straw- typical of the ignorance I hear from much of the LE community these days.

and officers wonder why no one respects them anymore.
    Brother from your responses in many threads in the A@E you dont have much respect for anyone or anything....why should a LE person be any different from your vehemence.

That is where you seem to be not understanding...there are laws that do not apply to certain aspects the job of a LE Officer...EMT...Firefighter... Paramedics.......like breaking certain traffic laws when running code...like distracted driving....IF you dont like that fact petition to change the laws....The public saw fit to give these exceptions to those acting as public safety personnel.
    Funny thing is our governor recently needed the support from law enforcement to pass a certain law. Or rather he didn't want to pass it without their ok because he was afraid of political blowback. So who is listening to the people?

But I agree with Bucky if officers can't do their jobs safely maybe they shouldn't have jobs or should have certain policies in place to prevent killing people. That isn't acceptable collateral damage, that is needless, pointless killing for absolutely no justifiable reason.

The law has made certain aspects of LE special..
    That is true. You are allowed to break many traffic laws in the lawful pursuit of your duty - it is a balance of rights. However, with those special rights granted to LEOs must also come special responsibility. And letting this cop off scott free shows that balance is being ignored, and that is part of where many cops (if not you) think that they are special and literally above the law. And why not? How can it not breed contempt to be enforcing laws you ignore with impunity? How can you not be contemptuous of other drivers when citing them for the same dangerous, distracted driving that is part of your job - hell, cops drive distracted in the process of catching and citing distracted drivers. There is something not quite right about that.
    <evidence><
    ..../............\.......
    Hoyt GM OR - Adcock ACS LB - Bickerstaffe ELB - USA Archery Level 2

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.” HL Mencken

Oh I understand and I find the laws to be BS hows that for ya.

An officer should never be allowed to willfully ignore traffic laws and or inattentive laws. the badge should never allow them to circumvent common sense in regards to safety.

I don't live in Cali so I can't change the laws but I do hope the petition filed on behalf of the dead guy does get the law changed.

I guess I'm lucky in my town our EMT and Police/sheriff aren't stupid enough to run red lights, Nope they slow down at intersections and proceed cautiously through them. You know so as to not make more victims or people needing help. A cop or EMT in an accident doesn't help the people in need on the original call.

Life is about balance. Be kind, but don't let people abuse you. Trust, but don't be deceived. Be content, but never stop improving yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    Funny thing is our governor recently needed the support from law enforcement to pass a certain law. Or rather he didn't want to pass it without their ok because he was afraid of political blowback. So who is listening to the people?

But I agree with Bucky if officers can't do their jobs safely maybe they shouldn't have jobs or should have certain policies in place to prevent killing people. That isn't acceptable collateral damage, that is needless, pointless killing for absolutely no justifiable reason.
    And maybe this particular officer knew he didn't need to be behind a wheel....

Wood, who declined comment for this article, was transferred to court services shortly after the collision, though the deputy made that request more than a year before, a county spokesman has said.
    http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...t-in-calabasas

I agree with that....
    See... I respect you already...

I agree with that....
    how DARE you agree with ratt?

Quote Originally Posted by Warbow View Post
    That is true. You are allowed to break many traffic laws in the lawful pursuit of your duty - it is a balance of rights. However, with those special rights granted to LEOs must also come special responsibility. And letting this cop off scott free shows that balance is being ignored, and that is part of where many cops (if not you) think that they are special and literally above the law. And why not? How can it not breed contempt to be enforcing laws you ignore with impunity? How can you not be contemptuous of other drivers when citing them for the same dangerous, distracted driving that is part of your job - hell, cops drive distracted in the process of catching and citing distracted drivers. There is something not quite right about that.
    You are right it is a balance of rights....He shouldnt have been let off scott free....I said that already several times....he should pay for his lying....his department should pay for his distracted driving killing the man....he should not be charged criminally for killing the man unless it was proven he was texting his wife which would be outside the scope of his duties..

Not saying you specifically but I think many that post on these LE threads ought to take a couple of ride alongs with an officer or several different officers in a busy jurisdiction to see what the job day in and day out really entails....

And maybe this particular officer knew he didn't need to be behind a wheel....

http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...t-in-calabasas
    Court services duty can be awesome duty if you like the mundane and want normal working hours with no shift work.....He requested it a year before...sounds like he was tired of the shift work...

Brother from your responses in many threads in the A@E you dont have much respect for anyone or anything....why should a LE person be any different from your vehemence.
    You are 100% correct, I expect respect to be earned.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    mornin sonshine....

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    I agree with Ratt on many things....just dont let him know it he will get a big head and all....We dont want him looking all Master Splinter like you know...

Oh I understand and I find the laws to be BS hows that for ya.

An officer should never be allowed to willfully ignore traffic laws and or inattentive laws. the badge should never allow them to circumvent common sense in regards to safety.

I don't live in Cali so I can't change the laws but I do hope the petition filed on behalf of the dead guy does get the law changed.

I guess I'm lucky in my town our EMT and Police/sheriff aren't stupid enough to run red lights, Nope they slow down at intersections and proceed cautiously through them. You know so as to not make more victims or people needing help. A cop or EMT in an accident doesn't help the people in need on the original call.
    Buckster youre right about choosing to use due caution....You need to pay attention to people in the larger cities...they dont yield to emergency vehicles....heck in my rural neck of the woods traffic pulls off the road or in the ditches most times when a EMT, LE, OR Firetruck is rolling near them....Its a respect thing that goes both ways in rural areas....In big cities...not so much from either side...

Quote Originally Posted by Fury90flier View Post
    You are 100% correct, I expect respect to be earned.
    Acting like the south bound end of a north bound donkey is sure to earn you much respect. I guess I was raised to respect people until they give you a reason not to....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast