Archery Talk Forum banner

Kodabow review

7K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ruger375 
#1 ·
After retiring from the navy, Chuck Matasic decided to build crossbows. The Kodabow crossbow is a wider than average, heavier than average bow that shoots at average speeds, and cost $1000. What would draw a person to buy one?

At first glance, it looks like somebody cut an AR lower off just behind the ejection port and somehow stuck a crossbow rail and bow into it. A more careful look reveals that they have taken the AR platform and transformed it for crossbow use. The safety is in the same place, and it works silently, the grip is the same (it actually is an AR grip and adjustable buttstock), and the trigger puts most AR’s to shame. My trigger breaks super crisp at 3 pounds 13 ounces with no take up or overtravel. I wish some of my rifles triggers were as nice. There is also a small lever on the left side for the anti dry fire device which gives a visual indication as to the arrow being fully loaded or not. It can also be disengaged to let the string down manually if wanted. Moving forward, the rail assembly is a thing of beauty. The machining is super nice (as someone who worked in machine shops for over 40 years, I know nice machining). I don’t know what tolerances they hold at Kodabow, but everything fits together like a Rolex watch – nice and tight. The bow itself was a bit of a concern for me. They are the only recurve bow maker I know of that uses split limbs. More surface area to torque, crack, splinter, and do all sorts of things that aren’t good for accuracy or longevity. Kodabow claims a less than ½ of 1 percent problem rate with their limbs, so guess there isn’t a lot to worry about after all. One thing about split limbs is that the string has nothing to “slap” at the shot, so the bow is quieter than many of the other crossbows out there. They also have a built in string suppression system which helps dampen noise even more.

The bow handles great, and does seem lighter than the 10 pounds listed weight. Balance point is just behind the front grip, and there is no front heavy feel as some crossbows exhibit. Cocking is a bit different, as you push the butt stock in and then out one click. A piece on the cocking rope fits a hole in the rear of the stock rather than the rope going in a groove at the top of the receiver area as most crossbows do. Pulling the string into place pushes the safety into safe position and activates the anti dry fire device. Accuracy is in a word SUPERB! The target included with the bow showed three shots in one hole at 20 yards. Sure – probably at ten yards from a machine rest. Well, my first three shots at 20 yards (bow comes pretty much sighted in) made one ragged hole. At 30 yards three shots went into 1”, and at 40 yards the group was 11/2”. Not bad for an old geezer with poor eyesight. The factory supplied arrows are running 306 fps, which is probably about right for their weight (I have not weighed them). My limbs may be a hair slow, but there are no complaints with the accuracy it produces.

The bow comes with scope, quiver, nine arrows with field points, rope cocker, stringing aid, sling, extra string and wax.

Just as a point of reference on price; one of the biggest crossbow companys’ sells a bow rated the same as the model I bought (330 fps). To be fair, it is lighter and narrower.This bow sells for $800. To equip it like the Koda (at their listed prices) would add $70 for string suppression system, $35 for string, $35 for stringing aid, $47 for stock extension kit, and $15 for wax. Add another $30 or so for five arrows, and $130 for a trigger to get to Kodabow’s level. A person would be out a lot more than the cost of a Kodabow. Kodabow does charge the same price for all their bows, from 125 to 225 pound draw weight. The other guys charge extra for higher poundage.

Is Kodabow for everyone? Just as some like Chevy over Ford, or chocolate ice cream over strawberry, we each have differing ideas of what we like. Some won’t like the AR styling. Some will balk at the weight or width. Some like compounds and don’t want to try recurves. Many today are speed freaks.Those who have bought Kodabows’ know that the company puts out a well engineered, well built product that has pride of ownership all over it.

Bravo Zulu Cmdr. Matasic, WELL DONE!

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice review.Wish you could post some pictures.
Kodabow is a company where the CEO, Cmdr Matasic himself comes to the phone most of the times and answers your questions.
He is a very patient and knowledgeable gentleman
A great plus point for this recurve style crossbow is that one can change the strings in the field,and go on hunting,if the strings do get damaged.

#3 ·
You are right about Cmdr Matasic. He will actually talk to you and not just try to sell you something or push you off on a subordinate.

I am not computer savvy enough to post pictures. If you tell me how, I will give it a try.

Another plus on this bow is that it breaks down into a packaage smaller than the arrow length. If they made take down arrows, the whole thing would fit in something about 15" long.

#8 ·
Hi Ghostgoblin22, thanks for the pictures. Are they 2 different Kodabows?.
What Kodabows are these.
The quiver, is that a standard attachment from Kodabow or did you get a special mount to fix them like in the picture.
Or is the quiver just to the side of the bow and I am thinking it is fixed to the bow.

#10 ·
nope its the same bow, its the Bravo Zulu 200 lb limbs

i bought this bow from wyverncreations.com

i bought it with a top notch package that only wyvern offers

it came with 6 Black eagle arrows
3 slick trick standard broadheads
kwikee 3 arrow quiver
a bohning top mount quiver system is what you see attached to the scope rail also came from wyvern
lube rail
Hawke MAP scope

it literally comes with everything you need for the season, i havnt had to buy anything for it besides a sling

i love the bow, and its very easy to shoot offhand for me

go to wyverncreations.com to see the package he offers for the kodabow

#11 ·
Hi, Ghostgoblin22, can you do a comparison between the Tenpoint titan and the Kodabow in the next thread.
Now back to the OP topic, sorry about that distraction.
The 6 black Eagle arrows, do they come with the flat nocks recommended by Kodabow?.
Do you use any mechanical broadheads, if so which.
How are the slicktrick broadheads on the Kodabow.Did you use the regular slicktrick broadheads or do they have a crossbow only broadhead?.
Thank you.

#12 ·
RJJ, Kodabow sells a package that includes nine arrows, sling, quiver. lube, and the bow comes with an illuminated reticle Hawke scope. I thinkd total price is $25 or so more than Wyvern, so you might want to check out both. Koda recommends NAP Killzone broadheads. Many of the mechanicals, and some fixed heads fly very well in the Kodabow. Basically, pick one you like and have confidence is and give it a go. Generally, regular mechanicals work fine.

As far as nocks, I am sure that the BEE's come with flat nocks.

#14 ·
Talked to Mr.Matasic on the phone friday what an outstanding guy took time to talk me thru a couple of decisions I had, questions on, got his feedback on a scope setup i was planning on using on my koda express ,came away with a very positive experiance with my decision as if shoot my express wasnt enough ,cant say good enough things about be treated like a friend instead of a customer goes along ways .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.