Thread: Bag limits

Bag limits

What do you guys think of the "bag limits" for deer season this year? Especially those of you up in the NE corner, I know there are a few of you on here. Good move by the DNR, bad move, won't make a difference?

Good move 4 years too late. Short term good. Long term needs help.

my TWO questions to the DNR are is first: why is there any doe permits ? does the DNR allow some doe permits just so they can sell more deer license`s ?. second question: how many DNR managers and employees even buy fishing or hunting licenses ? i have heard its very few and if that is true with the managers of the DNR that they don`t even hunt or fish, how can these DNR employees work in the best interest of us hunters and fisherpeople here in Minnesota ? so besides doing a private deer density count we should be also getting rid of dnr none hunters and dnr none fisherpeople in the DNR too,we are paying the bills and their wages its time for some accountability also for dnr employees.

Since when does the DNR work for us hunters and fishermen. Yes our interest are at stake with there decisions as are many other stake holders. I firmly believe the goal of the DNR should be and is supposed to be managing all of our natural resources to maximum the balance of the population of any species with the carrying capacity of the land and region they call home. If the natural food source is being over stressed then a harvest plan for the species causing it should be put into place to control it, if the natural food source is capable of handling more pressure then again put a harvest plan in place to grow the targeted specie. Yes there are areas that have way too few of our favorite target specie and some not too many that have too many. The property I hunt in north central MN this year has been decimated by a harsh winter and too high of predator population for the past couple of years. My trail cam picks have been on the decline for a couple of years however this year I have only had a couple of turkeys and on doe fawn pair all summer. DNR is way too slow to react to some situations and way to fast in others. I believe the solution is to get the politicians as well as the un-knowledgeable unqualified DNR managers out of the picture and let the qualified DNR (biologist and scientists) manage our natural resources to maximize the balance of all species against the carrying capacity of the land and we'd all be better off.

a high percentage of the DNR people here in minnesota want to protect predators,actually if you enjoy hunting deer,we need to feed deer all winter and get rid of 90 % of the predators and some dnr managers too and hire a deer hunter that`s also a biologist.there are no wolves in iowa so why do we need them ? feeding deer has never spread disease in minnesota either that`s another big lie ! we also need to shoot alot more bears and put a bounty on coyotes they are not native to minnesota either. manage the deer not the animals that don`t bring in much revenue its simple.happy deer hunters need to see deer and have a chance once in while at a nice buck,that`s how you sell licenses ,make money and have a good deer heard, forget this natural resource bullcrap.hunters and fisherman pay more, spend more and are the ones who have done the most in all states ,if things continue to get worse in this country it will be the sportsman who will have to defend this country not the bird watchers or peta people.

Quote Originally Posted by bat man View Post
    Good move 4 years too late. Short term good. Long term needs help.
    Yeah, I'm with you bat man - wondering why it took them this long to get to this conclusion. I first started going up to the NE part of the state once a year in about 2007, at the time I believe the zone I was in was Intensive Harvest. It stayed that way for a long time, I want to say maybe 4-5 seasons, then it went to a managed zone (2 deer limit). Only now have they gone to bucks-only, which seems way too late. With the exception of in and around Duluth, there's been no reason to have such aggressive limits, IMO. Suddenly here we are, with about 75% of the state in a 1-deer limit via lottery or hunter's choice.

the reason duluth has such a healthy deer population is very few predators close to town and people feed deer all winter long. so maybe the minnesota dnr can do a study for 10 years and figure out how to ruin that healthy duluth deer herd also.

I'm glad they did it in my little paradise in 181. Too many years of allowing three and five deer bags. Knew that four seasons ago. Nut that don't stop the majority of hunters and sure don't stop the wolves. Won't be hunting there this year unless I get drawn for a late season wolf tag.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Bucks only for all seasons, even youth tags this year. All I see happening is the next couple years without any young bucks growing up. Political mismanagement caused a lot of the issues we have now.

dnr and politics does not help deer management.wished we had the 4 pt. rule one side with the next two years no anterless deer,winter deer feeding program december 1st thru all of april where needed, and let`s shoot a 1,000 wolves a year,harvest more bears, $25.00 or more bounty on coyotes.now that`s how you have a deer management program,with a private deer density progam too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete53 View Post
    the reason duluth has such a healthy deer population is very few predators close to town and people feed deer all winter long. so maybe the minnesota dnr can do a study for 10 years and figure out how to ruin that healthy duluth deer herd also.
    They do that in the metro zone too. Kill unlimited antlerless deer. We do still have some nice bucks. But I don't see herds of 8-15 deer very often like we used to 7 or so years ago.
    USA

since minnesota resident hunter`s buy the most licenses we should have a say in what happens to our deer herd,anyone who thinks the dnr is doing a good job are wrong wrong ! peta people-farmers- insurance people should not be dictating what happens to the deer herd !

Quote Originally Posted by MNmike View Post
    They do that in the metro zone too. Kill unlimited antlerless deer. We do still have some nice bucks. But I don't see herds of 8-15 deer very often like we used to 7 or so years ago.
    Can you hunt anywhere in the metro zone, as long as you have permission if it's private property?

I'm glad they did it in my little paradise in 181. Too many years of allowing three and five deer bags. Knew that four seasons ago. Nut that don't stop the majority of hunters and sure don't stop the wolves. Won't be hunting there this year unless I get drawn for a late season wolf tag.
    Exactly. I'm on board with it, anything to get the numbers back up. I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing antlerless deer all over this fall and won't be able to shoot them, lol! I would love that, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy125 View Post
    Can you hunt anywhere in the metro zone, as long as you have permission if it's private property?
    No. Cities and towns may or may not allow hunting even on private property. Like I can't even shoot my bow in Mound. But drive 2 miles and I can hunt with my bow in Minnetrista.
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lardy125 View Post
    Exactly. I'm on board with it, anything to get the numbers back up. I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing antlerless deer all over this fall and won't be able to shoot them, lol! I would love that, actually.

Last season up north I hunted a week in the end of October and never did see a deer from my stands. Hunted mainly mornings till 11:00 or noon.

I can usually see deer every outting here in town.
    USA

The DNR does not work for the sportsman!! They work for the general public. Most of the general public gripes about deer eating their gardens and farmers gripe about too many deer eating their crops! Deer hunters are a tool used to satisfy the general populations desire for way less deer. If you have a predator problem in your deer heard, take them out are the opportunity arises. Coyotes or wolves or whatever eats deer needs to be shot on sight and don't worry about whether or not there is a season or bag limit on them! Shoot them and keep quiet about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintwade View Post
    The DNR does not work for the sportsman!! They work for the general public. Most of the general public gripes about deer eating their gardens and farmers gripe about too many deer eating their crops! Deer hunters are a tool used to satisfy the general populations desire for way less deer. If you have a predator problem in your deer heard, take them out are the opportunity arises. Coyotes or wolves or whatever eats deer needs to be shot on sight and don't worry about whether or not there is a season or bag limit on them! Shoot them and keep quiet about it!
    Not here, our game and fish couldn't care less about the general public or sportsmen.....

They're just padding their pockets....

Luckily after the "accidental" death of a much hated warden, the new officer is much nicer, and he's a local, he'll give you warnings and actually talk with you about the game and what's happening in the area...
    Why stand out in a crowd? When you can be somewhere else...

You must respect yourself, before I can respect you...

that`s the biggest problem the DNR needs to start working for the hunters and maybe the public some,up north where i hunt most people are very upset with the dnr , the problem is the people who are at the top or managers of the DNR are not doing a very good job and we are paying these people ,they may be book smart but they have little common sense and most don`t hunt or fish and probably have hardly ever been outside. they probably got their DNR job by the buddy system or politics, not ability ! all the DNR deer managers need to go their thinking and ability is not what Minnesota needs,its time to start over ! not next week,not in a year get rid of the dnr deer managers now,i wished the governor of Minnesota would talk with some of us people who buy deer license ,pay taxes and own land who try to help our minnesota deer herd.

Last season up north I hunted a week in the end of October and never did see a deer from my stands. Hunted mainly mornings till 11:00 or noon.

I can usually see deer every outting here in town.
    So frustrating. I know driving into town at night up there we used to see 10-15 deer on the 20 mile round-trip, feeding in the ditches and whatnot. Now it seems like we're lucky to see a couple. Ahh well, I still love going up there and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future, deer or not. Maybe one of these years we'll have a mild winter and the herd can rebound a little bit.