Archery Talk Forum banner

new bear encounter

2K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Feldman28 
#1 ·
So today when to bow shop to get a motive 6. Was going to trade my pistol in on one. But the guy was a dick. So i looked around the had a domain and a encounter left. They had miss printed a price tag. So i got the encounter for 215.50 brand new ready to hunt. So Iis thatagood deal or not. This I first bow i havha bought in 15 years.

#2 ·
That's a good deal. They are normally $299 for a bare bow. My last bow, which I still have, is an Encounter. I love that bow.

#5 ·
Thats a great bow, not just for the price... I was a really good shot with mine. Im still trying to get to that level with my Elite. I won a RTH package from sportsmans last year and was shooting it when i "upgraded" to an E35 . I dont know why i gave that bow away.

#9 ·
Everything on that bow can be adjusted without a press. Have a good shop set the poundage and draw length to fit you, at least to get you started. Great thing about the encounter is the range of adjustment.

There's nothing wrong with your aluminum if you want to shoot them, but as far as carbon you have a bunch of options. Whichever arrow you choose just make sure you pick the correct spine. If you are gonna shoot at 65 pounds, 400s will work but I would recommend shooting a 340 or even a 300.

#7 ·
The only thing that really needs to be changed is the string honestly. Change the strings and put a good peep on it. Since its an inexpensive bow, look into americas best bowstring rhino series for a cheap good quality string or pay more for custom from someone on the forum. Throw on some some between limb limbsavers to quiet it down if it seems loud to you but other than that go shoot it.

#8 ·
Thanks. Yeah i had them change peep. I'll look for them and looking a a bee stinger stabilizer . Now what would be a good carbon arrow for deer. This is all so new. I still have some Easton aluminum arrows lol.

#11 ·
Few and far in between. Flex your arrows and shoot the correct spine and you will be fine.

#13 ·
I had an encounter for the past two season, until upgrading to an Empire this year. Encounter was a great bow for the money. I would not worry about arrows exploding on you. Flexing (holding each end of the arrow and gently applying downward force after impacting anything harder than your target is a good idea. I shot Beaman ICS Hunters, Easton Bloodlines, Carbon Express Mayhems and Carbon Express Maxima Reds out of my Encounter at 62-64lbs. If I had to recommend one of those arrows to you, it would be the Easton Bloodlines in the 330 spine, great arrow at a great price. Welcome to the world of Bear, Encounter was my gateway drug and I'm completely in love with my new Empire. Good luck and shoot straight.

#19 ·
Thats a pretty sweet deal on an Encounter. The only thing I did to mine was replace the cable slide with a Saunders HyperGlide and shorten the string damper rod a little so I could put a Mathews string stop pad on it. The stock strings are pretty cheap, but there's no reason you can't get at least one hunting season out of them. As far as noise/vibration, mine is whisper quiet and totally dead in the hand. I put a Trophy Ridge Static Stabilizer on it and the arrow hitting the target at 40 yards is way louder than the bow.

#25 ·
Yeah they miss marked it. When iasked the guy he goes what ever Iit says on the price tag. I guess he shouldn't have been a dick when i wanted to trade pistol in . I thought i did right thing by asking . Best part i go pick it up today . I ask if they do a deal on arrows he goes why you got bow for good price. I will tell ppl not to go there. Don't treat ppl like trash cause you messed up. Well that's my rant for the day. Now I got to find a place to get arrows

#27 ·
I'd rather not day. I'm not trying to bash they persons business. But they got all puss cause they mad a mistake I even pointed it out before saying I would take it. But o well I learned a lesson to not shop there again. Can't wait to Friday to get it set up and shoot. Hope c&c is open

#28 ·
The Encounter is still one of my favorite bows and usually sees the most time in the stand each year. Its just a great bow. I just upgraded the whisker biscuit to a QAD HDX the other day and holy crap is it sweet. Groups got a light tighter just by switching it out. Very impressed with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.