Archery Talk Forum banner

winter rye

815 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nutritionist 
#1 ·
too late to plant winter rye in sw Wisconsin ?

#3 ·
One year in south central Wisconsin I planted fall rye November 1st. But typically one should say October 1. Your mearly trying to get enough growth to get the ground covered before it goes dormant. Unless your trying to maximize tonnage. There is not many options to get late season growth after sept 15 planting. Most annual clovers and grains take about 60 days to maturity and with the average first frost date for your area being October 10. Now is GO TIME for planting any of the fall grains and fast growing brassicas.

This year in particular in Wisconsin and the Midwest, things are late and all the cover crops are all up in the air. Many of the certified oats, ryes, barleys and wheats are still being cleaned and germ counts await on new crop.

#4 ·
And from the latest weather might be an early cold snap not the longer indian summer we have had the last few years. Talk is this winter could as hard as last and it might be an early cold spell earlier than normal which means early frost... Hope not but who can say... but winter rye comes up fast at least for me it is the first and the deer seem to hit it hard once it is up.

LFM

#5 ·
Today I planted winter rye, and oats using a new growth promoter I am testing. My goal is to get 3 days faster germination, which would greatly benefit the fall cover crop people and late planted food plot people. With rye, the goal is more to cover the ground, where as most of the tonnage is produced next spring. I'll be snapping pictures every day during their growth cycle to show a comparison between untreated and treated rye and oats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.