Archery Talk Forum banner

I have target panic ..HELP

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Unk Bond 
#1 ·
I punch the thumb bar and i can hold my pin on the bullseye i can hold low and when i punch the trigger i try to bring my pin up as soon as i shoot and drive by shoot
What can i do to fix this fast i have a competition this weekend

#4 ·
You're not likely to have it fixed and gone away by the weekend. But you can start working on it now for sure. You need to start re programming your brain and it's automatic functions. In my signature below there's a link to my website. If you go to it, there's an article I comprised about target panic, my take on what it actually is, and ways I see that can help, and ways that other world class archers have described to help.

#6 ·
You don't need to pay some body to help you. Get yourself a copy of the book titled. IDIOT PROOF ARCHERY by Bernie Pellerite. You can find it at robinhoodproductions.com. If you follow the steps in his book, you will lose that target panic. Along with gaining a better target score and much better accuracy in the deer woods.

You will not be able to get through any sort of training by the weekend. However....you should start ASAP. The more you do now the better you'll be sooner.

#7 ·
This isn't something you can fix on the fly.
From my experience and from talking to a lot of people that struggled with the same issue, blind bale shooting is the #1 way to go. Just learn how a perfectly executed shot feels like before you even think about aiming.
If you can't even execute a "proper" shot at a blank target because you're that nervous about touching the trigger, I was that way, let someone else push the trigger for you a couple of times until you get a feeling for that "unexpected" shot to go off and that nothing bad will happen. Well, you might soil your pants a little, ;D.

I'm not a fan of throwing money at the problem, may it be a new release, a book or whatever. All the info you need is out there (for free, see the #4 post in this thread).
THAT BEING SAID THOUGH, switching to a hinge release, for me, cured 95% of my target panic symptomps immediately.
The only thing I had to get comfortable with over time was that not every shot, especially in the beginning, will go off right when you want it to, or in the time frame you're comfortable with. With those shots, it's important that you let down and start all over again, never push through the shot to just get it off no matter what and never "punch"/consiously manipulate your release to get it off either.
Huge disclaimer though, a hinge release is not a guaranteed cure for target panic and I'm not saying it will help you or anyone else. All I know is that it helped me and put all the fun back in shooting my bow at a point where it had become more than frustrating.

#8 ·
Two, proven approaches:
Jay Kidwell's book available from 3Rivers and Joel Turners DVD available from A&H Archery.
Kidwell is an archer and Phd psychologist. He tells WHY and has a very simple approach.
I respect Bernie and Len, but for most of us, I suggest reading and trying Kidwell and viewing Turner.
FWIW: Been there in more than archery. You should read Kidwell. He's easy to follow.
Regards,
Kevin

#18 ·
=================
Hello
X2 on tiller
GRIV's way for some.

Then again U might be having trouble covering the target .Meaning your subconscious mind wants to see.

If you have a plain scope. Go to your pactis range. And give it a try with out a dot, or dot pin..
Did U know you can use a plain round scope for a range finder. Just imbed in to your brain that center is center. That your subconscious mind is very good at handling..

Example= I can take a 1 inch scope and hit the X on a 5 spot target and never think about the X.[ Later

#13 ·
Quick fix, if you lock up at the same place just adjust your pins. I had TP pretty bad only fix was a back tension set extremley slow. This trained my mind to sit on target without shooting. Then over time I slowed adjusted release to a faster trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.