Archery Talk Forum banner

Think I'm over spined

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  kenn1320 
#1 ·
Bought a used black widow ironwood long bow in the classifieds and it came with some Easton bloodlines in 330.

The bow is 55 lbs at 28 and my dl is 28. Arrows are 28.5

When I shoot I hear the shaft hitting the riser I think cause the bow is very loud

Thanks for any advice

#6 ·
Probably a .400 depending upon tip. Check the ads. I have some listed and I am sure others do as well. Just not sure how it is to ship to Canada.

#13 ·
Long arrows aren't a bad thing but if you don't want a lot sticking out past your bow, for whatever reason, go ahead and cut them. Just keep in mind that when you cut them back you eliminate one variable in your tuning, the length. Shaft length has a large bearing on the dynamic spine, what you are really working with when tuning, as opposed to the static spine...the number on the shaft.

If you cut them and they are on the stiff spine you will need to really load up the point weight to get them to tune, that's why people are telling you to leave them full length.

Another reason to leave them long is so the back of the broadhead doesn't touch your bow hand at full draw, even when you are wearing gloves (if you ever do, I'm in Minnesota). I like my arrows about 2" longer than my draw length; I use a 31" arrow and have a 29" draw length.

So, choose your length, cut to your desired length or full length. Then go to the online spine calculator and plug in the length you are working with, 28.5", full length, anywhere in between...just pick one. Fill in the rest of the values in the calculator and play with it until the number for the bow and the number for the arrow are as close as possible. Then buy your arrows, if you did it right you should be close. You will need to tune to get it exactly right but the calculator will get you in the ballpark.

This is a good link for tuning...http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.